Important Info! 2019 Forum Knife : Poll Schedule / Content

This is not word for word, Mike said nothing added on that will involve a poll or additional factory work. No EO notch, and would assume no bails, lanyard holes etc...
If I remember correctly, he said nothing that involved any re-tooling. I'm not exactly sure what that means, or which kinds of additional features would require re-tooling.

It seems we are to have a sabre ground blade whether we like it or not. It was the only option offered for this knife and was voted for by a majority.
Did it win for being the one you disliked the least? Or liked the most? I agree with the comments about the cutting mechanics of sabre v flat..
But...this is a Rope Knife....not a razor...not for slicing waffer thin sashimi...nor is it a scalpel or apple peeler....you can buy those separate.
Its a braw,burly sailors rope knife and be assured it will cut you off a manly morsel of hard tack or a Sealions sized slice of salt pork when you're round at Aunty Mavis's house for afternoon tea n biccys..
Then...later that day you can use the sabre
to carve a new figurehead of Aunty Mavis for the ships prow, gaff , gut and fillet a 26ft White Pointer and trim the wick of your whale oil lamp (the one you harpooned and flensed earlier with it) before you snuggle down and dream of a quiet life.

It seems we are to have a sabre ground blade whether we like it or not. It was the only option offered for this knife and was voted for by a majority.
Did it win for being the one you disliked the least? Or liked the most? I agree with the comments about the cutting mechanics of sabre v flat..
But...this is a Rope Knife....not a razor...not for slicing waffer thin sashimi...nor is it a scalpel or apple peeler....you can buy those separate.
Its a braw,burly sailors rope knife and be assured it will cut you off a manly morsel of hard tack or a Sealions sized slice of salt pork when you're round at Aunty Mavis's house for afternoon tea n biccys..
to carve a new figurehead of Aunty Mavis for the ships prow, gaff , gut and fillet a 26ft White Pointer and trim the wick of your whale oil lamp (the one you harpooned and flensed earlier with it) before you snuggle down and dream of a quiet life.
I don't know what any of that means but I love it.

This is a Rope Knife....not a razor...not for slicing waffer thin sashimi...nor is it a scalpel or apple peeler....you can buy those separate.

There's your back tube label! :D :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Hey guys... I’ve been off bladeforums for a while so I just saw the progress of this years knife. I was curious everyone’s feelings on the popularity of the sabre blade. I know most Northwoods come with this style of blade but now GEC seems to be offering more and more of them. I’m really on the fence about them. I know sabre blades have a time and place, usually where a more sturdy blade is needed. But do traditionals really need this? I don’t mean to start any kind of flame fest or anything, I’m genuinely interested in everyone’s opinion. I use my traditionals for light use... cutting fruit at lunch, cutting tape on boxes, cleaning fingernails and the like. I just seems to me that anything a Sabre blade can do on a traditional knife, a full height flat grind could do just a bit better. Like I said, I’m not trying to start anything, just would love to hear some more opinions. Cheers!
It was the only choice offered, so basically the saber grind was shoved down our throats. Not much to really discuss after that point...

We voted for GEC knowing the limitations. Nothing was shoved down our throats. It is that sort of attitude that will drive away the moderators and dealers from wanting to orchestrate a forum knife.

has in the past / and has going forward

In all honesty it actually surprises me that GEC has not rescinded the offer. But you can surely add factories to the list of entities that do not appreciate the nastiness by the few.

In all honesty it actually surprises me that GEC has not rescinded the offer. But you can surely add factories to the list of entities that do not appreciate the nastiness by the few.

It’s a shame too, because many more people are grateful and humbled by the charity that’s required to make the forum knife a reality. None of it is deserved no matter how many years it’s been happening. Blessings upon those who have kept it going and are keeping it going still.

It’s a shame too, because many more people are grateful and humbled by the charity that’s required to make the forum knife a reality. None of it is deserved no matter how many years it’s been happening. Blessings upon those who have kept it going and are keeping it going still.

That is a shame. There are those who would complain, if you gave them a gold brick, how heavy it was.

I don't know what any of that means but I love it.
Me neither Mate...but its fun...thanks for the review.

There's your back tube label! :D :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Yeah ...but I can ramp up the insanity by special appointment ....not sure what the official position is at Strategic High Command....maybe I should ask...
I figure I can do a few and happy to let them cherrypick ......and ram it down our throats...I take full responsibility for any injury real or imagined if this happens.

I can't help but feel that if Mr. Howard were more forthcoming as to his reasoning for his restrictions on our forum knife instead of leaving it up to speculation, there would be a lot less criticism.

You're thinking about it wrong. We are a group seeking a company to do a special small run of knives at a limited price point with a specific delivery deadline. We are not "entitled" to anything, we can merely ask businesses if they will take the job and if so under what terms. They provide the terms, including hard and soft parameters, in response to our request. They are under no obligation to read and respond to each one of the hundreds and hundreds of posts about the knife. If you find that unsatisfactory, go ahead and order your own SFO run to your specs, or buy a custom. But expecting a business to dote on all the posting members of this subforum, over a run of maybe 300 knives, just displays a misunderstanding of how a business is run.

Back