2019 GEC 29 Humpback/Stockyard Whittler Thread

Yep, I think I am going to like my #29 just fine. Perfect! Just got it in the mail today.

OgaTAda.jpg
Looking good ! :cool:

As weird as it may be, out of all #29 versions, I am most attracted to osage. Probably it's because I feel like northfield trim would be out of place on a hard working knife like this one is supposed to be......

Thats not completely untrue actually, there are some suited better to some patterns. I completely get the workmans knife vibe from these even in hand.

The snakewood would definitely be unique on this pattern. Nothing wrong with a Sunday meeting workmans knife though. ;)

FullSizeRender.jpg FullSizeRender.jpg

My ebony Maher and Grosh just arrived. What a beauty. My first knife from Maher & Grosh. Incredibly well packed, double wrapped in bubble wrap, and probably the most extra oil applied to the blades I have ever seen on a GEC knife. Quickly cleaned off, the fit and finish is excellent. GEC is really producing some fine knives right now. Plus the ebony looks great with my GB&M 29.

I got my 29 M&G in ebony today. It looks great, maybe better than I expected. Packaging was really well done, not just the presentation but the padding and protection too.

20190824_172049.jpg

When I first had the knife in hand and opened it I was really disappointed. The secondary blades are good pulls and locked well. However the primary blade was somewhat soft just like my osage is which is fine as I've said before, but when it went into full open locked position it seemed really soft. I'm not one of those guys that raps on the back of the blade and worries about it closing, just don't rap on the blade dummy. Right? But when I touched the back of the blade just a little it came out of lock and was in transition to half stop. Very little effort.

It kinda broke my heart because like I said it looks good and the other blades are great. I did NOT want to send it back but was already kinda writing the email in my head. :( I must echo what others have said about the excessive oil. I mean I get it, its metal and you want to protect it for storage and shipping to different climates, but it was a lot. So much it rand down the length of the blade pretty thick. LOL.

Anyway, once I got home I wiped it a little and opened and closed the blade several times it seemed to lock better into open. Opened and closed it several more times and it seems better still. When I touch the back of the blade it seems to not try to transition. Its still light, but acceptable and hopefully gets better. Before I put it on my stone or in my pocket I'm going to open and close it several more times and give it a chance. I think it might be fine.

I didn't say all this long winded stuff to try to dog it, you can tell they gave it a good effort and attention to details, from GEC to M&G, but this is a knife forum and thats what you do, you talk about knives, so there it is. ;)

I'll report back when I get to play with it more.

Ok just pulled my little jewel out of the safe for some close up natural lighting shots . Now I just have to convince myself not to make Jasmine a safe queen. I love everything about this one including the Carmel color covers .
LjNl1TG.jpg

5e2FXBq.jpg
I need to tell my Nikon to take better pictures of mine. My D7100 camera is smarter then me. Good thing I can used the auto feature. I am using my #29 and refuse to make it a safe queen. I like it to much to hide it from my eyes. I am going to let it build character with use. That's a nice slab of wood you have that knife laying on.

I need to tell my Nikon to take better pictures of mine. My D7100 camera is smarter then me. Good thing I can used the auto feature. I am using my #29 and refuse to make it a safe queen. I like it to much to hide it from my eyes. I am going to let it build character with use. That's a nice slab of wood you have that knife laying on.
Thanks it’s actually olive wood :thumbsup:
I just use my IPhone :)

I got my 29 M&G in ebony today. It looks great, maybe better than I expected. Packaging was really well done, not just the presentation but the padding and protection too.

View attachment 1184606

When I first had the knife in hand and opened it I was really disappointed. The secondary blades are good pulls and locked well. However the primary blade was somewhat soft just like my osage is which is fine as I've said before, but when it went into full open locked position it seemed really soft. I'm not one of those guys that raps on the back of the blade and worries about it closing, just don't rap on the blade dummy. Right? But when I touched the back of the blade just a little it came out of lock and was in transition to half stop. Very little effort.

It kinda broke my heart because like I said it looks good and the other blades are great. I did NOT want to send it back but was already kinda writing the email in my head. :( I must echo what others have said about the excessive oil. I mean I get it, its metal and you want to protect it for storage and shipping to different climates, but it was a lot. So much it rand down the length of the blade pretty thick. LOL.

Anyway, once I got home I wiped it a little and opened and closed the blade several times it seemed to lock better into open. Opened and closed it several more times and it seems better still. When I touch the back of the blade it seems to not try to transition. Its still light, but acceptable and hopefully gets better. Before I put it on my stone or in my pocket I'm going to open and close it several more times and give it a chance. I think it might be fine.

I didn't say all this long winded stuff to try to dog it, you can tell they gave it a good effort and attention to details, from GEC to M&G, but this is a knife forum and thats what you do, you talk about knives, so there it is. ;)

I'll report back when I get to play with it more.
It sure is a nice looking knife and really like the Ebony :thumbsup:

Back