1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Ka-Bar Becker BK5 Magnum Camp , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!
    Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday July 27!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, July 28 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

2019 Price Increase?

Discussion in 'Spyderco' started by John_0917, Dec 24, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. John_0917

John_0917 Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 15, 2014
    Got an email from KC saying it’s the “last chance for 2018 prices”...has Spyderco announced a price increase for 2019 or is it sales BS?

2. Spydergirl88

Spydergirl88

Dec 3, 2015
    Haven't heard anything

3. 3fifty7

3fifty7 Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 24, 2016
    We all know it’s coming.

4. sgt1372

sgt1372 Platinum Member Platinum Member

Oct 16, 2018
    Well, I'd expect substantial price increases for knives made in China because of the tariffs imposed on those products by the Trump administration but there shouldn't be more than"normal" COG (cost of goods) increases on those made in the USA. We'll see . . .

5. Stays Sharp

Stays Sharp

Nov 21, 2013
    Spyderco raises MSRP by about 5% every year to keep up with set margins. Been that way as far as I can remember. Normal. China and Trump has nothing to do with this one....Yet

Just be glad that MAP is not increased this year, that is what makes people upset.

Pokerchip likes this.
  6. Easyrider

Easyrider

Jan 31, 2000
    The message I am hearing is to run out to the store now and buy that Lil’ Native I have been eyeing before a massive price increase.

Is that correct?

7. colin.p

colin.p

Feb 4, 2017
    That sounds like a good justification. Works for me.

Darkera and dc50 like this.
  8. insta9ves

insta9ves

Apr 3, 2007
    Sal seems to have indirectly confirmed over at the Spyderco forums.

9. Sal Glesser

Sal Glesser Moderator Moderator

Dec 27, 1998
    We hardly ever have "massive" increases. Generally when our costs go up, we have to raise prices.

sal

10. Easyrider

Easyrider

Jan 31, 2000
    Sorry Sal, there was a bunch of sarcasm in my post. I guess it didn’t come through.

11. Daniel

Daniel Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 3, 1998
    It is all relative. When you get no raise for three years and then get a whopping 3% raise, an 8 percent retail price increase is massive to you.

PStone, Freedom Pullo and 4mer_FMF like this.
  12. 19-3ben

19-3ben Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 27, 2015
    So.. what you're saying is that the only massive increase is going to be on exactly the Lil Native that @Easyrider is considering, so he MUST go get it now... That's what I'm hearing. Amirite?
    :p

13. Deinos

Deinos Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 7, 2016
    In fact, I heard that one you are currently looking at is the very last one to be made... ever.... should probably lock it down before it's gone! I have a Native Salt in my cart right now that I am pretty sure is in the same situation... :D

Last edited: Dec 28, 2018
  14. Easyrider

Easyrider

Jan 31, 2000
    I better stop my whining and buy that knife before it is gone!:rolleyes:

Deinos likes this.
  15. Stumpy72

Stumpy72 Basic Member Basic Member

Jul 5, 2018
    Price increases are a natural part of life. We’ll all survive any price increases--unless we die, in which case the increases won’t mean anything to those of us who die. Welcome to life in the real world, kids! As for that “buy it now before the gigantic, world-crushing price increase hits” mindset.... Sorry, but I’ve heard that one for so many years that these days it just makes me yawn.
    Personal note to Sal = Kudos on the equanimity with which you endure this sophomoric horseshit. You continue to be a role model to us all and a business model that most of your competitors aren’t smart enough to emulate.

Chrisinzky, Pharmagator and knaf like this.
  16. cbrstar

cbrstar Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 7, 2015
    Sal on the spyderco forums also said that due to the costs increases. Japan models maybe only FRN in the near future.

17. Blacplastik

Blacplastik

Sep 7, 2017
    That’s too bad I was hoping this year would be the year I bought a Spyderco.

18. skyhorse

skyhorse

Jan 30, 2010
    Most retailers try to reduce end of year inventory for tax reasons, this doesn't necessarily mean some big price increase for 2019.;)

19. Spydergirl88

Spydergirl88

Dec 3, 2015
    Finally! Can't help but wonder what some of the discontinued japanese-made collaboration models would have cost/how better their sales would have been if they were made in Taichung to begin with.

20. Stolenives

Stolenives

Jul 12, 2017
    You know, it’s not that a couple bucks more every year bothers me. My rent goes up, my cable bill goes up..everything inflates. What I can’t stand are these distributors all doing the LAST CHANCE! garbage. You already have that inventory!!! So you’re the ones who hike up prices with inventory that’s already bought and paid for and pass the increase right along to us out of *poof* “thin f_(&’n air”

4mer_FMF and PStone like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.