2019 Traditional Forum Knife...The First Poll

Which pattern will be the basis for the 2019 Traditional Forum Knife (see post for details)

• GEC 86

Votes: 212 52.3%
  • Fox knives 521

Votes: 33 8.1%
  • Buck 192 (Vanguard) fixed blade

Votes: 160 39.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Let me help you out:

The office? Yes! Call it your "industrial staple remover"
Church? Yes! Demons will shudder to know you have the Sword of the Lord and some Steel.
Elementary school? Yes! Combination ruler and rudimentary compass (you'll need some string and a pencil, too).
Supermarket? Yes! "Don't use that slicer Mr. butcher-man, I'd prefer to cut my own cold-cuts, let me take a step behind the counter"
The movie? Yes! It always more of a challenge to play five-finger fillet in the dark if you get bored with the flick.
College classes? Yes! It is your book weight to keep the textbook from closing while you take notes.
The gas station? Yes! Cleaning the dirt from under your nails with your knife will ensure scammers won't try to solicit you.
City council? Yes! You can accentuate your closing argument by stabbing the knife into the podium. Politicians love dramatic visual aids!
Weddings? Yes! Especially if you are the party of the bride--makes the groom's commitment so much more meaningful.
Funerals? Yes! The dead don't mind, and the living have other grievances to concern themselves with.
To visit relatives? Yes! Who'll be the favorite uncle now!?
Nice restaurants? Yes! Let's be honest. Restaurants don't keep good cutlery on hand. They'll know you're a discerning diner when you refuse second-rate butter knives to cut your steak.

See, you're covered, no problem! :D

Now that's funny! :thumbsup::D I'm too new to Blade Forums to have bought any of the previous forum knives. I'm not a collector, so if I buy a knife, it has to be useful to me. With that in mind, here are my thoughts about whether I would actually use any of these knives:

The Fox 521 is too large for me to carry as an EDC knife on a regular basis, so it would probably sit at home.

I already have a nice Case Teardrop with a wharncliffe blade that Will Power gave me to cut anything I need a straight edged blade for, so the GEC 86 with a sheepsfoot blade would also sit at home.

The only fixed blade knives I own are Mora wood handled ones, which I use in the kitchen and when I go camping. So the Buck 192 would get some use, but probably not a lot. Because of that, I voted for it. I think an ironwood or stacked leather handle would be awesome, but since the standard knife lists for $120 on the Buck site, i'm not sure what that would do to the cost.

I realize most of you are collectors, so what applies to me won't apply to you.

Last edited:
The 86 is a larger version of the 77. A sheepsfoot blade is very common. Both are what I would call ‘risk factors’ that the forum knife would be ‘unexceptional’ but not risks that it would be ‘bad’.

Hold that thought, but keep it in mind, because what intriques me is the price. You see, a $100 limit means that GEC is only offering one blade, tops, and I bet the sheepsfoot is partly chosen as it is one of the cheapest blades to make due its profile. This may give us scope for a nicer finish or more expensive covers.

What might be possible within those parameters?

Here are a couple of photos to generate discussion - how this knife could be exceptional or ordinary looking.

eb9bESE.jpg

37vkRfU.jpg

dS5ZTZy.jpg

5DdWS48.jpg

r4otL9O.jpg

JjBYBjk.jpg

RHYwDNL.jpg

Where can I carry a fixed Blade in a sheath? The office? Church? Elementary school? Supermarket? The movie? College classes? The gas station? City council? Political rallies? Weddings? Funerals? To visit relatives? Nice restaurants?
"Yes" and/or "Maybe" and/or "No".

"To the Office" would depend upon your company's policies. Can you carry any knife there? Some companies don't allow them, or only allow a box cutter, if necessary for your job duties.

Elementary School: Probably not. Then again, you cannot carry any knife there.

College Classes: Would depend on their policies. Some allow you to have a knife, others don't.

City Council and Political Rallies:
Probably not. They don't allow any knives at those.

The rest of the locations? Why not? You (might) have a knife in your pockets when you go there now.

Last edited:
PaulS. PaulS. Extremely valid points but I think a huge cross-section of people post here, not just collectors. There's hoarders, compulsives ;), trend-followers...connoisseurs, manic users, poll addicts...dancers?:D enthusiasts, brand cultists, steel bigots, outdoorsmen, indoor types, vintage enthusiasts, hunters, anglers,foodies, pattern queens, knifeaholics, must haves, savants, and all of us love knives when very few people out there in the world do! The Few Who Are In The Know:cool:

I think a large detriment to the pro 86 discussion is that there is a marked lack of an accurate concept picture. Pictures speak a thousand words.

There are numerous pictures of Buck Vanguards in all sorts of custom configurations. This is a good thing. If this gets selected, we have a lot to look forward to.

Fox isn't really on the radar because no one knows anything about them.

The GEC 77 is the closest to an 86 so it might behoove folks to find pictures of single blade sheepfoot 77s. I know they did a NF Barlow with a Sheepfoot, did they do any jacks with a single Sheepfoot on the 77 frame? I did a brief search but didn't dig up anything.

I can go and get (internet) and get a custom Vanguard any day. Can't get a PPP, #86 Sheepsfoot any day....what can we be offered....a choice of handle material? Go online and look at all the already possible handle materials for the vanguard. Those sheaths are ugly as well...the #86 will be a go anywhere don't have to worry about showing off and scaring non knife people away. We want this knife to be an ambassador to us and our forum?

@skblades any idea on the cost (or at least a starting cost, or general price range) for the Vanguard? It seems like there was a lot of discussion last year about price (in particular, keeping it at or under that $100 mark), yet the option currently leading this poll costs between $105 (w/ a rubber handle) and $120 (the knife shown in post #1) on Buck's website. I would guess that the cost of a custom configuration would likely start at that $120 mark and go up from there, but perhaps I'm wrong?

PaulS. PaulS. Extremely valid points but I think a huge cross-section of people post here, not just collectors. There's hoarders, compulsives ;), trend-followers...connoisseurs, manic users, poll addicts...dancers?:D enthusiasts, brand cultists, steel bigots, outdoorsmen, indoor types, vintage enthusiasts, hunters, anglers,foodies, pattern queens, knifeaholics, must haves, savants, and all of us love knives when very few people out there in the world do! The Few Who Are In The Know:cool:

So true! :thumbsup::D I was just giving the reasons behind my particular vote. The Buck is most likely the only one of the choices I would order as a non collector.

I voted for the Buck because I know I would never carry or use the GEC.
I had a Case 11031SH, and never carried or used it. I eventually traded it for a pair of high end newly resoled boots in my size, at the local leathersmith's place.
I have a large Sheepsfoot, with a pen secondary. More versatile with a second blade.

The Fox looks like a slipjoint Old Timer 6OT or barehead Buck 110 to me.
While I've carried a 110 (or Old Timer 7OT or 6OT) daily since 1969 or so, the Fox just doesn't "speak" to me.

I think a fixed blade would make a good forum knife, and Buck makes the best fixed blades out there, in my opinion.

So, of the three, the Buck is the only one I'd be interested in buying.

*with apologies to Simon Scarrow

Meako Stultus Cyrtae
Centurion 1st Cohort Terra nullius Australis "The Wombats". 19th Legion.
Ran his eye over the noisy rabble of recruits loosely assembled before him on the dock.
There were the wide eyed youngsters on their first voyage,
Standing craning their necks for a better view of the ship and the crew that would take them into the unknown.
His eyes settled disdainfully on the huddle of grizzled ,battle hardened veterans lounging lazily at the far end of the wharf.
These men had seen 20 years or more of campaigns and were in no hurry..many looked and sounded fresh from the tavern.
He recocgnised most of them having served in the Emperors legions on the previous nine campaigns.
Murmurings of pirates and Buckaneers hissed through the ranks...as always....perhaps there was a spy in the midst. Who knew?Who cared? They would eventually reveal themselves and be dealt with fairly and democratically...then systematically tortured and thrown to the wolves...or sharks...depending on availability.
"Deus adiuva nos omnes!" thought Meako Stultus Cyrtae as he dipped a ripe juicy fig in fresh honey and scrunched it into his mouth as the Sun began to wake somewhere over the horizon... it tasted good .

Satisfied that he would have no trouble shaping the 19th Cohort into a well tuned intstrument of battle he turned to his orderly, Mekus (a idiot in anyones language but loyal to a fault ...such a shame their names were so alike...ah well).
"Mekus! get up you lazy fool and bring my bow and the dogs. This morning I hunt that young stag we saw yesterday...I shall plant an arrow in its wishbone! I need a volunteer as well...someone trustworthy to take a package across the sea.
YES! NOW! you gibbering Chimp!"

The morning tasted good and with a friendly smack on the ribs with a thick staff of olive wood Mekus limped off to attend his duties.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back