2019 Traditional Forum Knife...The First Poll

Which pattern will be the basis for the 2019 Traditional Forum Knife (see post for details)

• GEC 86

Votes: 212 52.3%
  • Fox knives 521

Votes: 33 8.1%
  • Buck 192 (Vanguard) fixed blade

Votes: 160 39.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Surprised to see the fixed blade only down a few. Only one I’m interested in buying. Hope it pulls through

I'd love a fixie. I'm sure many others feel the same, if only for variety's sake. I just don't like that particular fixie. Dang. Wish we could have had a poll on which Buck fixed blade it would be. I'd be all over a 113 ... (hint, hint)

Seems like I'm not the only one.
Heretics we are.;)
I get that it's a good utilitarian blade shape, but they and the wharnnies have been done to death imo.
Not to mention the looks, a clip at least has character whereas a sheepfoot is pert near a blunt tipped lump of steel with no soul and sticks way up outta the well if full length.

Last edited:
I can see this working well as a Tidioute hard use style knife, perhaps with cocobolo or ebony covers. Or an older look such as antique ivory sawcut bone. No end cap. No shield.

I envision this in ebony with end caps, and a big old gimp shield. Fancy swedged blade . Just like the gold old days. I would definitely have preferred a spear blade though.

sWmBKAX.jpg

These are all three fine options! Thanks for the Forum moderators and our two Dealers for making this happen, yet again.

I'm still deliberating as to my vote, however. . .
Ok, I voted for the Buck. Here's my reasoning:

1. A fixed blade has yet to be done, but remains very traditional. This particular fixed blade also look really nice, and will have plenty of options to vote on, which means more folks get to participate in making the forum knife what it is.
2. I'd prefer a different blade shape than a sheepsfoot. I know GEC will offer some options, but they will be more limited due to some of their own in-house restrictions. I'm guessing there is no option to get a different blade shape, but I would like to know why, if that information is available and open to sharing.
3. The Fox looks nice, but it doesn't have anything in particular that separates it as unique. However, it would be cool if a traditional regional style knife from Europe eventually made it into one of these Forum polls.

I definitely think if we had a choice of what blade shape on the #86 it would be winning by a whole lot more. Maybe GEC is trying to get us something different then the normal clip point that is going to be offered on the regular production. I do remember some people complain last year that if GEC did our forum knife it would be just another SFO and it wouldn't stand out. But now they are doing a different blade shape than the normal run and people complain about that....:confused:

Heretics we are.;)
I get that it's a good utilitarian blade shape, but they and the wharnnies have been done to death imo.
Not to mention the looks, a clip at least has character whereas a sheepfoot is pert near a blunt tipped lump of steel with no soul and sticks way up outta the well if full length.
Edit to say the sheepfoot pattern is pert near a blunt tip.

I definitely think if we had a choice of what blade shape on the #86 it would be winning by a whole lot more. Maybe GEC is trying to get us something different then the normal clip point that is going to be offered on the regular production. I do remember some people complain last year that if GEC did our forum knife it would be just another SFO and it wouldn't stand out. But now they are doing a different blade shape than the normal run and people complain about that....:confused:

I just think having the options makes the process more fun and gives us all more investment in the knife (since we get to choose). Personally, I'd love to see a drop point blade on a big knife like the 86, but maybe other folks would dig a spear point. Only a vote would prove what the majority wanted. But if that ain't going to happen, no worries here.

Where can I carry a fixed Blade in a sheath? The office? Church? Elementary school? Supermarket? The movie? College classes? The gas station? City council? Political rallies? Weddings? Funerals? To visit relatives? Nice restaurants?
I, if I bought a fb, would probably use it every couple years to hunt mushrooms.

My issues with GEC are not the blade shape but in the blade steel we are locked to 1095 if we at least could vote between 1095 and 440C I would entertain the idea but without stainless it just doesn't have enough to the point I know I won't be buying a GEC knife as all I would do is flip the knife. I do have some issue with Sheepsfoot but the fact this may make it a very unique #86 I can understand it and I do like sheepsfoot blades somewhat.

I would really love to see what Fox can do and it is a nice frame very similar to a Buck 112 in size and blade shape and I have seen lots of great work from the other Italian makers so I wouldn't really expect any less from Fox. We would probably have some interesting steel choices in the final blade and handle materials. Not that it would be possible due to expected cost but if it had a choice wood handle, damascus bolsters, and a "super" steel blade I can already start drooling over that dress knife like that.

I ultimate go to the Buck myself it has some wonderful options available and I know someone mentioned disliking guards with what Buck was willing to do before who knows what is possible maybe the guard can go. It is a great sized fixed blade with lots of options and we haven't had a fixed blade for the forum knife. With its options uniqueness for the forums history of offerings to me the Buck is a winner all around for the forum.

Where can I carry a fixed Blade in a sheath? The office? Church? Elementary school? Supermarket? The movie? College classes? The gas station? City council? Political rallies? Weddings? Funerals? To visit relatives? Nice restaurants?
I, if I bought a fb, would probably use it every couple years to hunt mushrooms.
This and some! You can't get a pocket sheath for one either and tote it in your pocket. It's a medium sized fixed blade that is kind of big especially with a guard on it. I get knives that I will use an carry, this knife would be a hard to tote EDC. I feel sorry for those members that legally won't be able to have the knife either.

Also I think the amount of "things" we get to pick on this knife to make our own is limited and won't be all that special...Buck already makes this with multiple handle materials, blade steels and grinds.

Only complaining because we weren't allowed to vote on it like in the past but the underlined part of your post sums up their reasoning if I'm not mistaken and I can understand that, but.....
The Bladeforums tang stamp in unique enough to set it above the regular production runs imo.
And it doesn't matter who makes it, it'll still be an SFO.
I might have voted for the Buck if it was a different pattern but we didn't get a choice in that either.:rolleyes:
Here's hoping the Fox'll outrun the sheep and deer.;):D

Only complaining because we weren't allowed to vote on it like in the past but the underlined part of your post sums up their reasoning if I'm not mistaken and I can understand that, but.....
The Bladeforums tang stamp in unique enough to set it above the regular production runs imo.
And it doesn't matter who makes it, it'll still be an SFO.
I might have voted for the Buck if it was a different pattern but we didn't get a choice in that either.:rolleyes:
Here's hoping the Fox'll outrun the sheep and deer.;):D

Agreed with the tang stamp....but it still was a complaint last year. The Fox knife is interesting.

Let me help you out:

The office? Yes! Call it your "industrial staple remover"
Church? Yes! Demons will shudder to know you have the Sword of the Lord and some Steel.
Elementary school? Yes! Combination ruler and rudimentary compass (you'll need some string and a pencil, too).
Supermarket? Yes! "Don't use that slicer Mr. butcher-man, I'd prefer to cut my own cold-cuts, let me take a step behind the counter"
The movie? Yes! It always more of a challenge to play five-finger fillet in the dark if you get bored with the flick.
College classes? Yes! It is your book weight to keep the textbook from closing while you take notes.
The gas station? Yes! Cleaning the dirt from under your nails with your knife will ensure scammers won't try to solicit you.
City council? Yes! You can accentuate your closing argument by stabbing the knife into the podium. Politicians love dramatic visual aids!
Weddings? Yes! Especially if you are the party of the bride--makes the groom's commitment so much more meaningful.
Funerals? Yes! The dead don't mind, and the living have other grievances to concern themselves with.
To visit relatives? Yes! Who'll be the favorite uncle now!?
Nice restaurants? Yes! Let's be honest. Restaurants don't keep good cutlery on hand. They'll know you're a discerning diner when you refuse second-rate butter knives to cut your steak.

See, you're covered, no problem! :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back