2020 Folder Lineup - Honest Feedback/Questions

Thanks for the feedback folks. If any viable questions come up I'll be sure to do my best to answer them. Not much stood out as of now so I don't have much of a response for you.

Dear Cold Steel, thanks for keeping in touch with us. Did not wanna hijack the "2020 is coming" thread since this discussion is mainly around folders. Just looking for some insight, if you are able to share at all...

1. Any idea whether Cold Steel will release some higher end, G-10, Triad Lock folders? I know 2020 is probably a done deal, maybe this is not the year for folder afis like us, but I hope there's something in store for the future?
2. Is Demko still with Cold Steel, coming up with cool new triad or scorpion lock designs?
3. Is there a shift in CS strategy towards focusing more on hunting/sword/axe/weapon area of this industry?
4. Is CS going down market to compete more with CRKT and Kershaw rather than Spyderco and Benchmade?

IMO the 2020 folder lineup is a big disappointment. The 1911 and Double Safe Hunter could have been a great Triad Lock designs if made similar to the Recon 1/Lawman. Even the Air Lite which is my fav design is a slight miss in execution, assuming it's as thin as the Broken Skull. For the cheaper versions of existing models, i understand, since not everyone is knifenuts like us who are willing to spend more than $100 for knives, so I give that a pass. The rest however, feel like wasted opportunities.

Didn't mean to be blunt, I'm a big Cold Steel fan, and has been collecting pretty much every single non-XL folders CS makes since 2010. IMO besides the AD10 and AD15 last year, there hasn't been "hit" design being released since the time of Recon 1, American Lawman, Code 4 etc, which is probably more than 5 years IMO.

Also, there was a lot of requests(just look at the other thread) to bring back some old classic design like the Hatamoto, or make uncoated blade as regular production run, or stuff like G-10 Code 4 etc. Did any of the community feedback ever show up on management's radar?

Last edited:
Hey bud!

1) The lineup has been released, if you don't see what fits the bill on there, it's not coming as of now. We have recently started discussing 2021 items and there will be some higher end items in there. Sometimes we do mid year releases.
2) Yes, Demko is still our guy. No comment on what he's up to.
3) There is not a shift to one specific market, rather an expansion to multiple. Lynn is a hunter and enjoys making hunting products, so naturally that has some influence.
4) This is a tough one without sounding bitter. We just roll with the punches. This year is very much a "middle ground" year, the $70-$150 range. Until this year, we've been very divided into either budget knives or expensive knives. Now we have a better middle range for the new enthusiast. The goal is always badass tough knives for a fair price. Para 3 Lightweight with FRN and BD1, or Air Lite with better materials (G-10, AUS10 and Tri-Ad) for $40 less? Easy choice.

Sorry to hear that you're disappointed, we can't make everyone happy and the market provides something for everyone. If you don't like it, don't buy it. We're doing the best we can.

I know you're a big fan, I see all of your comments, messages, etc. We appreciate your support. Your definition of a hit may differ from someone else's and the feedback we've received has been very positive.

Yes, we take into account every piece of feedback we receive. That is my job. We leverage this against sales numbers and make decisions based on that.

Hey Cold Steel Knives Cold Steel Knives , how has the Grik been selling? I really like it, but get the sense that it's not very popular, so just curious. Looks like the new Kiridashi is using a similar clip design where it's almost as wide as the knife. Really like that aspect of the Grik.

Sorry I insta9ves , don't mean to hijack your thread

In contrast to the OP, I'm super excited for the Air Lite. Earlier in 2019, I created a thread asking for a return of the original Voyagers. The Air Lite in my pocket will be a virtual return of my old school 4" Voyager. I didn't care for the Broken Skull in that respect for a few reasons, but the Air Lite will see substantial pocket time for me.

I won't deny that the last couple of years have seen a bit of a departure from what I expect and love about Cold Steel, but I'll hang in with them. They've had a place in my pocket since I was 16 years old (almost 25 years ago).

Good job on the frn knives with simple locks. CS folders took off with the Voyagers and Ti-lites, so nice to see success being recognized, and also market trends acknowledged. MAP and price increases with punctuated production runs and endless discontinuation on these more expensive blades has managed to frustrate much of the aficionado crowd, especially the vocal end that informs trends and influences decisions to some degree. Meanwhile, the number of "cheap" knives sold continuously outpaces the enthusiast segment by orders of magnitude. CS manages to still be a business and not an exercise in economic fantasy.

I'm quite certain it's still the case that Victorinox produces more blades in a month than the higher end brands do in a year. For some brands the equivalent of their year is just one day of knives coming off those sak lines. Good to see CS understand that while still catering to multiple other segments of the hobby. At least with the less expensive folders they can have the sales volume, asset utilization and turnover, and margins to continue to serve everyone else who wants niche products.

Although the 1911 isn’t exactly my cup of tea, I like liner locks and would mind seeing a lot more of them.

Although the 1911 isn’t exactly my cup of tea, I like liner locks and would mind seeing a lot more of them.
I really like their Ti-lite liner lock. It’s folded 90 degrees and makes a lot of contact to the tang. I certainly wouldn’t mind if they used that style of liner lock more often.

I really like their Ti-lite liner lock. It’s folded 90 degrees and makes a lot of contact to the tang. I certainly wouldn’t mind if they used that style of liner lock more often.

I've always been a bit shocked that his particular lock style hasn't been more popular among manufacturers.

saw more 8cr13mov steel i dont need or care for in knives I liked, but just dont need anymore knives in that steel. couple higher ends looking good, but prices to go along with higher end that may turn me away. too early too tell yet.

sure I'm alone on those feelings but since it's an honest feedback thread.

Necro this thread in light of the recently CS's announcement to ditch A2 for 4034 steel. I noticed this trend as soon as the 2020 line up were announced. Absolutely zero higher end folder was introduced in 2020. CS is also starting to intro more new models with 4034 and 8cr steel, plastic handle & clip and they even ditched the famous Triad lock for just simple backlock with additional safety(i.e. Double Safe hunter).

As mentioned in the OP, this is a worrying trend as CS seem to be following the path where Gerber, CRKT and SOG did. Even those companies are trying to get themselves out of this hole by starting to intro more higher end model this year. Look at the new SOG line up this year. Maybe Cold Steel Knives Cold Steel Knives sees a gap that these historically cheap knives company left behind while trying to move up market and tried to capitalize it? Is CS trying to get into the big box stores or Walmart?

IMO, beside the AD10 and the AD15, most of CS new folders in the past few years had missed the mark.
- Are we seeing the dawn of 4034, 8cr/5cr and 1.4116 plastic handled Cold Steel?
- Is Cold Steel Knives Cold Steel Knives going to move more and more of their production into China where they are unwilling to use Triad lock(i'm told it's to protect the patent) and start producing more liner/back lock folders?

Is CS turning its back from its hardcore fan? These are really just rhetorical question, CS's action in the last few years already answered these. Prior to the Triad lock, i had absolutely zero interest in Cold Steel. I followed CS because of their innovations, when they intro knives that's stronger, lighter, has better material than the competitor of the same price. Cold Steel used to push the boundaries, now they seem to settle for $30 liner lock flipper or normal backlock folders that offer absolutely no differentiation from their competitor as long as it drives more top line revenue for them.

"Complacency is the enemy of empires"

Necro this thread in light of the recently CS's announcement to ditch A2 for 4034 steel. I noticed this trend as soon as the 2020 line up were announced. Absolutely zero higher end folder was introduced in 2020. CS is also starting to intro more new models with 4034 and 8cr steel, plastic handle & clip and they even ditched the famous Triad lock for just simple backlock with additional safety(i.e. Double Safe hunter).

As mentioned in the OP, this is a worrying trend as CS seem to be following the path where Gerber, CRKT and SOG did. Even those companies are trying to get themselves out of this hole by starting to intro more higher end model this year. Look at the new SOG line up this year. Maybe Cold Steel Knives Cold Steel Knives sees a gap that these historically cheap knives company left behind while trying to move up market and tried to capitalize it? Is CS trying to get into the big box stores or Walmart?

IMO, beside the AD10 and the AD15, most of CS new folders in the past few years had missed the mark.
- Are we seeing the dawn of 4034, 8cr/5cr and 1.4116 plastic handled Cold Steel?
- Is Cold Steel Knives Cold Steel Knives going to move more and more of their production into China where they are unwilling to use Triad lock(i'm told it's to protect the patent) and start producing more liner/back lock folders?

Is CS turning its back from its hardcore fan? These are really just rhetorical question, CS's action in the last few years already answered these. Prior to the Triad lock, i had absolutely zero interest in Cold Steel. I followed CS because of their innovations, when they intro knives that's stronger, lighter, has better material than the competitor of the same price. Cold Steel used to push the boundaries, now they seem to settle for $30 liner lock flipper or normal backlock folders that offer absolutely no differentiation from their competitor as long as it drives more top line revenue for them.

"Complacency is the enemy of empires"
I’m 100% with you on this one, bud. I want to see more folders with the G10/Tri-Ad/S35VN combo. Aus10a is not a bad budget option as well. Not a huge fan of the CRKT route as you said. I’m not picking up any 4034SS or 5Cr knives.

But let’s sit tight for the 2021 lineup. I’m pretty sure Cold Steel won’t abandon their S35VN knives ENTIRELY for some cheapo steel that dulls after 0.05 seconds of oxygen exposure.

Back