2020 Folder Lineup - Honest Feedback/Questions

I’m 100% with you on this one, bud. I want to see more folders with the G10/Tri-Ad/S35VN combo. Aus10a is not a bad budget option as well. Not a huge fan of the CRKT route as you said. I’m not picking up any 4034SS or 5Cr knives.

But let’s sit tight for the 2021 lineup. I’m pretty sure Cold Steel won’t abandon their S35VN knives ENTIRELY for some cheapo steel that dulls after 0.05 seconds of oxygen exposure.
With how things are going 5Cr15MoV might be their premium steel by 2022. And 4034 would be mid range...

With how things are going 5Cr15MoV might be their premium steel by 2022. And 4034 would be mid range...
Well, let’s hope that doesn’t happen. If I wanted flea market knives, I’d turn to flea market brands. Cold Steel might lose that trucker knife niche. A 4034SS Recon 1 is vastly inferior product from an S35VN Recon 1, even with a proportional reduction in price.

They did go from aus8a to 4034 for their micro recon 1. I think this is likely due to them switching to a different(cheaper?) manufacturer that doesn't work with AUS8 steel. Despite that, the price actually increased. The old micro recon 1 in AUS8 is being sold for $24.95 while the new micro recon 1 in 4034 is being sold for $27.19 on BladeHQ. Though it may not reflect actual price increase since BladeHQ can price whatever they want and the AUS8 might be cheaper because it's old stock.

When it comes to folder, i'm more concerned about CS being tone-deaf about requests for items i.e. non-coated blade and more EDC friendly sized knives in higher end steel that's proven by their competitors to sell very well(Para 2, Para 3, Griptilian, Kershaw Blur) as well as them making odd decision like making plastic clip or backlock with extra safety. The double-safe hunter and the 1911 is a good example. If you can't make a triad lock without compromising the quality, you might as well not make it at all, save the design till there's capability/capacity for that. 1911 is such a stupid, wasted effort. It could have been a great designed like the AK47.

Also the other concern is their move toward making less EDC stuff and prioritizing more weapons. Just look at CS's youtube channel for the past 3 months. It's axe, sword, more axe, Polearm, spear etc.

CS appears to starting spreading themselves too thin and I'm afraid they are going to start compromising for inferior material as demonstrated by this A2->4034 debacle.

They did go from aus8a to 4034 for their micro recon 1. I think this is likely due to them switching to a different(cheaper?) manufacturer that doesn't work with AUS8 steel. Despite that, the price actually increased. The old micro recon 1 in AUS8 is being sold for $24.95 while the new micro recon 1 in 4034 is being sold for $27.19 on BladeHQ. Though it may not reflect actual price increase since BladeHQ can price whatever they want and the AUS8 might be cheaper because it's old stock.

When it comes to folder, i'm more concerned about CS being tone-deaf about requests for items i.e. non-coated blade and more EDC friendly sized knives in higher end steel that's proven by their competitors to sell very well(Para 2, Para 3, Griptilian, Kershaw Blur) as well as them making odd decision like making plastic clip or backlock with extra safety. The double-safe hunter and the 1911 is a good example. If you can't make a triad lock without compromising the quality, you might as well not make it at all, save the design till there's capability/capacity for that. 1911 is such a stupid, wasted effort. It could have been a great designed like the AK47.

Also the other concern is their move toward making less EDC stuff and prioritizing more weapons. Just look at CS's youtube channel for the past 3 months. It's axe, sword, more axe, Polearm, spear etc.

CS appears to starting spreading themselves too thin and I'm afraid they are going to start compromising for inferior material as demonstrated by this A2->4034 debacle.
Best we can do at this point is vote with our wallets. Really hope the new Mini Recon 1 is NOT in 4034SS lol.

Best we can do at this point is vote with our wallets.
Well our wallets aren't voting for companies like Mtech or Frost either but see them go...

Also the other concern is their move toward making less EDC stuff and prioritizing more weapons.
Yeah, I'd definitley buy something like the Izula. Mini Pendleton is pretty much only EDC fixed blade option in good steel, but is it too much to ask for kydex or leather sheath? Also why not have the cheaper plain carbon version?

Cold Steel dived deep into fantasy or medieval world and are making too many swords, pole axes... I guess next step are fantasy blades.
Also, those stuff they're making are also getting thinner and are made out of 1055.
But there's plenty of mall ninjas buying that stuff obviously, Cold Steel gave up on knife enthusiasts and dived into mall ninja crowd.
Not a surprise considering their marketing...

Here comes my $0.02 about Cold Steel folders. I will focus on incremental improvement to get better customer reviews/satifaction. For example, the Recon 1 is highly regarded by youtube reviewers. But if you are thinking of buying one and read customer reviews, you see a large fraction of "the lock is stiff" complaints. In fact, most Triad lock folders have the spring so stiff it will never break in, instead you get galling on the tang/lockbar interface. The cure is to thin the flatspring with a Dremel but most people can't do that. Do the springs have too much heat treating variance or did Andrew just screw up? This should be fixed on all the Triad lock models.
Another quality of design issue. Why is the Recon 1 0.040" behind the edge? It will never cut for s___ with that geometry. BBB proved 0.020" with 15 dps can be hammered through a nail and hardly chip. 0.040" is just stupid in S35VN.
Why no satin blade for the Recon 1? I agree with ApostleP that the AUS8 Recon 1 with satin blade was beautiful. I suppose the cost of polishing the tougher steel is too high. But if Benchmade can get away with stonewashing instead of polishing, then so can Cold Steel. A satin variant is like a new model but with zero investment.
CS folder clips have the same issue as the lock springs. Most are too stiff to the point of unusable. Fix it!
The basic Triad lock folder is miraculously efficient in terms of strength to weight. The lockbar provides more lateral stiffness than liners ever will. I'm sure everyone knows this. But it's not good enough to have great basics. You have to work the details too.
That's enough unsolicited advice for now.

Turns out my concerns were not unfounded...

Nope. This is exactly what I suspected when I saw the 2020 lineup.

Now I have to decide what, if any, real Cold Steel knives I need to buy before they are gone forever.

Its a tough call since the new owners don't offer a real warranty. Also, I generally only carry knives I can replace. I am not gonna carry a large Espada made with real steel when the only available replacement is made in China from "surgical stainless".

And that is exactly what I expect the new owners to continue doing. Every knife, every run, always crappier than before, milking Cold Steel's reputation for a quick profit.

I understand LT wanting to cash out and hunt. I hope that there is nothing more to it than that. He built a great company and should be proud.

Back