2020 GEC #23 Trapper Thread

Discussion in 'Traditional Folders and Fixed Blades' started by bax229, Feb 28, 2020.

1. Spaten

Spaten Basic Member Basic Member

Dec 27, 2015
    Sorry to hear it. I’ve worked in some of those airport shipping centers in a construction capacity. As I was told, a great deal of USPS letters and packages, just ride along on regular commercial flights to Europe. With flight volume way down, the wait is likely to be a long one. :oops:

Will Power and Camillus like this.
  2. minimize

minimize

Nov 12, 2007
    Really? Oh man. OK, Thank you.

3. minimize

minimize

Nov 12, 2007
    This photo haunts me until I can have one. I need that single bladed one. NEEEED.

4. Old Engineer

Old Engineer Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 30, 2014
    A very fine picture of a very fine knife my friend . You must have a pretty large Watch .

Harry

meako, BigKurtHaze and tmd_87 like this.
  5. Old Engineer

Old Engineer Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 30, 2014
    Thank you very much for the fine picture . It would appear that the Bullet Shield is Not Raised but inset . Is that correct ????

Harry

Quiet and tmd_87 like this.
  6. knarfeng

knarfeng senex morosus moderator Staff Member Super Mod Moderator

Jul 30, 2006
    Last edited: Jul 6, 2020
    meako likes this.
  7. Quiet

Quiet "That guy" Platinum Member

Oct 11, 2013
    Harry, good morning! I would say that the bullet shield is raised, but juuuuuuuust a hair. On mine, it's uniform all the way around, so I am not sure of the process. I'm hoping it's pinned, though. I will get a picture when I get outside today to show you, if I can.

Old Engineer likes this.
  8. JohnDF

JohnDF Gold Member Gold Member

May 14, 2018
    I can see your point.
    Still think I'd prefer the longer hot dog shield.

9. Mitt

Mitt

Aug 31, 2017
    I think the crest shield would have looked better. Honestly the ugly etch needed to go. GEC is going way overboard on etching. I hate that there isn't a single knife this run without an etch. I especially dislike them on the Northfields. I mean do we really need UN-X-LD in three or four places on a knife? Its a Northfield we get it, now get rid of that etch!

meako, rpstrimple and JohnDF like this.
  10. rpstrimple

rpstrimple Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 16, 2011
    I agree. Someone apparently received a bullet with no blade etch and I was surprised at the number of folks saying he should send it back to GEC so they can add it. I was like, why? It looks so good with no etch. With the bullet, I wish they would've ditched all branding except for the tang. Set a plain bullet shield in there and call it. I understand the marketing, but sometimes they get to "case-y". That being said, I have 3 23s on the way to me. Blade etch can easily be removed and they look like wonderful knives.

KnifeandEasy and Mitt like this.
  11. JohnDF

JohnDF Gold Member Gold Member

May 14, 2018
    Really? Somebody was lucky enough to get a one-off mistake and they said to send it back? Who are these people???

btb01, meako, Spaten and 2 others like this.
  12. rpstrimple

rpstrimple Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 16, 2011
    I don't think he actually did. I think there were a few folks who convinced him to keep it as is. But still, I was shocked by the people who thought it should be sent back because it hurt the value of it. It looked very good with no etch, I almost messaged him to see if he would trade for my etched one.

Edit: Here's a pic of it. [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 7, 2020
  13. TexasTomcat

TexasTomcat Platinum Member Platinum Member

Oct 21, 2018
    Working on my 23s...Redtail is MIA...lots of steel here!
    image1.jpeg image2.jpeg
    image4.jpeg image5.jpeg image3.jpeg

Last edited: Jul 7, 2020
  14. Slim278

Slim278 Gold Member Gold Member

Aug 24, 2016
    I really like the jigging on the SFO.

Onearmbladenut likes this.
  15. TexasTomcat

Oct 21, 2018
    Let me add a few photos on that jigging. It is REALLY fine IMHO.

Scott J. likes this.
  16. Scott J.

Scott J. Basic Member Basic Member

Jun 8, 2019
  17. TexasTomcat

Oct 21, 2018
    Me too and I asked for and got one w/ a lot of yellow in it...BUT in the hand, the close up look and feel of this 'Exotic India Bone' is AWESOME!

Scott J. and BigKurtHaze like this.
  18. BigKurtHaze

BigKurtHaze

Aug 2, 2015
    [​IMG]
    Thanks Harry!
    I’ve got room for a large watch. If I had a watch, though, I wouldn’t have anywhere to carry a 23. ;)

19. rschuch

rschuch

Apr 18, 2014
    Still waiting for the mesquite and blue camel bone to show up... Don't go picking favorites yet!

20. Murphjd25

Murphjd25 Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 27, 2016
    Something about the Beaver..such a beautiful knife.
    [​IMG]