2020 GEC #33 Conductor Thread

Man I love this 33 !
LR95nBg.jpg

Man I love this 33 !
LR95nBg.jpg
My 33 arrived yesterday and they did a great job on this. The proportions are spot on and the centered shield really accentuates the shape. I looked thru all my vintage pen knives last week and most are 3 inch equal ends with spear blades, only a couple were this long and only one a swell center. Once again GEC delivers on a scarce vintage pattern. I’m impressed with how large the clip blade is. Nice job fitting it in there. Also the bone is some of the nicest jigging they’ve done lately.

I received mine yesterday.

The good: this knife is beautiful! Jigging is smooth, and the shield is awesome, and perfectly inlaid. Springs are perfectly flat when the knife is closed, and just a touch proud when blades are open. Barely noticeable. And I’d rather they be proud than sunken.

The bad: One bolster has a good divot in it where the jigging extended too far and so the bolster was depressed in the polishing stage. Very minor but still annoying.

I promised a comparison with an early NYKC knife of the same pattern.

The early knife is almost exactly the same length and height. It’s also thinner. The blades in the GEC have no half stops, and are much longer. Fit and finish on the GEC is equal or better to the original NYK Co. The GEC is thin enough to be fairly inconspicuous in the pocket, and is better than the NYKC in terms of filling the hand.

xUIc17t.jpg

7RJWyVc.jpg

KL6PpVy.jpg

V3iyYL5.jpg

wLrUW0C.jpg

Have all of the dealers gotten their shipments of the Stag 33 yet?

Jigged is already yesterday's news...time for some stag! Personally I can't wait to compare them side by side. If the stag is as good as the jigged, we might have a solid two-cover run.

The bad: One bolster has a good divot in it where the jigging extended too far and so the bolster was depressed in the polishing stage. Very minor but still annoying.

Those little divots are a pretty common where the jigging meets the bolster. See it on Case knives as well. Got any knives with deeply channeled stag? :D

One bolster has a good divot in it where the jigging extended too far and so the bolster was depressed in the polishing stage.
I noted the same thing a few years ago on one of my GEC knives.
I was told it's better to have that than not run the jigging up to the bolsters.
I guess it's the price you pay once in a while for having fully jigged handle slabs.

My 33 arrived yesterday and they did a great job on this. The proportions are spot on and the centered shield really accentuates the shape. I looked thru all my vintage pen knives last week and most are 3 inch equal ends with spear blades, only a couple were this long and only one a swell center. Once again GEC delivers on a scarce vintage pattern. I’m impressed with how large the clip blade is. Nice job fitting it in there. Also the bone is some of the nicest jigging they’ve done lately.
I couldn’t agree more with you in every area you’ve pointed out ! :thumbsup:

ivonrei ivonrei @BDubbs that would be yours truly. Mine arrived the same, large gap between the spring and liner, gap was on the end with the main blade. Used some Quick Release oil and worked the blade holding it with a shop rag. After a few cycles felt a "pop" and whatever piece of gunk that was lodged in there was gone and so was the gap. Maybe a burr but probably just debris. Was disappointed and ready to send it to GEC. Here is a before pic, don't have an after pic but zero gap now. Good luck resolving yours.

GEC33jiggedbone-3.jpg

I'll definitely have to try this, thanks for the advice

Prefer the multiple colors of the one on top compared to the more monotone darker brown on the bottom. Both have about the same pull with the smaller pen initial cam being slightly harder than the main. Being shorter and having the nick on the pen sitting low exacerbates the initial pull on the pen. F/F on both is impressive, hoping for a nice stag.

GEC33jiggedbone-4.jpg

My dad was a conductor on the Rock Island RR. Naturally this influences my affinity for the pattern. His work lantern he carried for millions of miles, still works.

GEC33jiggedbone-5.jpg

Back