2020 GEC#47 VIPER RUN

I think many of us have already questioned our lives like that, and have opted out of the frenzy. Face it.... GEC's have become like tickets to major events. Buy them from the scalpers, or don't get 'em.

edit:.... there's life after GEC, you know. LOTS of other knife makers out there. If the demand for them drops off, the prices will follow.
Yep, totally agree. I'm happy with my small collection, but "the law of diminishing returns" has kicked in for me.

Admittedly it may be more hassle than you deem it worth - but do you not have family or friends that could keep an eye out for you?
Ha I wish. My friends think I’m nuts for spending more than $30 on a knife, and my family has no clue about my addiction. Worst case I picked up two 74’s and a 35 on the reserve this year, so it was a good year.

Not a lot were made. Some dealers go straight to eBay and many buyers buy from several dealers simply for trade fodder. It is dis-heartening; but the blame is widespread.
I have bought some of my best knives from Mr. Mike Latham of Collector Knives. I send people to his web-sight all the time. Mr. Mike's Italian made magnetic slips are better than the "sold out" bulkier $35 Northwoods magnetic leather slips. I will buy a second one on my next CKs purchase. When I buy a knife from CKs , I know that I have the same chance as everyone else on buying the best GEC knife for me. "No Cherry picking" I have a different dealer now that takes my pre-order before CKs provides the pre-order system. I am paying $15 more for my GEC#47 ironwood Viper. I want one that looks more like Kingwood for strength. My dealer looks for the phattest ugliest Sambar Stag for me. I like knives with the phattest scales for easier one hand opening. I open my gator snap knives with my feet and a GEC tube popper. Some knives , I can open between my thighs/knees without breaking a nail. My dealer calls me on the phone or emails me to call him. Sometimes he lets me pick out only one knife or one of each choice per run. I get surprised emails with invoice notices. He knows that I have never sold or traded a knife in my life. I hate flippers. When a dealer buys a bunch of knives from a manufacturer , those knives are his property. He takes the risk. Knives are costing more , because the US dollar aint worth squat. Every dime my dealer makes ,goes back into his inventory. My dealer does not sell knives for income to live off of. Every knife dealer is different. One size does not fit all. We need every GEC dealer so GEC can survive. Another Pennsylvania shut down and both American knife companies might be shut down for good. If I hate the price of a knife , I won't buy it. The sale is between me and my dealer. Allowing the free markets to work freely is the America Way. I hate regulations and unnecessary rules , they never work in the long run. I like runs of 400 pieces of each choice. My Black Plum jigged bone #47 and #74 do look cute together. "GREAT EASTERN CUTLERY KNIFE COLLECTING IS WAR !" The first time I got mad at GEC , I bought 11 CASE XX knives. The second time I got mad at GEC , I bought a 4" black hammered harpoon clip blade fixed knife with snakewood scaleS. I have 200+ knives. I will stop buying knives when the rapture comes soon. My dealer just sold me a 2008 CASE XX 5.5" closed Texas tooth pick antique brown bone with a long tail "C" shield. My dealer searched his safe/s and found three other knives for me to buy. I hate pearl , so that was a bust. He found a CASE XX Dogleg Jack antique bone and a CASE XX Copperhead #49 Ebony wood , both with long tail "C" shields. I am buying both "sight unseen" after the #47 run. I am paying for service and less aggravation. I hope the GEC SFO program never comes back. I was aiming for 90 GEC knives this year. I have 110 GEC knives in my collection. I give knives away too. If you want God to bless your collection. Give some of the best ones away , it works for me every time. "If it aint worth keeping , it aint worth giving."

nickvnlr

Gold Member
The plumb has arrived! I was unsure of this cover when I saw it on the 74. It grew on me with all the posted pictures and I decided to give it a try with the 47. I am glad I did. The color is so much better than what a camera (at least mine) can capture and I rather like the odd jigging.

4O3AFIjh.jpg

Jiki

Gold Member
I have bought some of my best knives from Mr. Mike Latham of Collector Knives. I send people to his web-sight all the time. Mr. Mike's Italian made magnetic slips are better than the "sold out" bulkier $35 Northwoods magnetic leather slips. I will buy a second one on my next CKs purchase. When I buy a knife from CKs , I know that I have the same chance as everyone else on buying the best GEC knife for me. "No Cherry picking" I have a different dealer now that takes my pre-order before CKs provides the pre-order system. I am paying $15 more for my GEC#47 ironwood Viper. I want one that looks more like Kingwood for strength. My dealer looks for the phattest ugliest Sambar Stag for me. I like knives with the phattest scales for easier one hand opening. I open my gator snap knives with my feet and a GEC tube popper. Some knives , I can open between my thighs/knees without breaking a nail. My dealer calls me on the phone or emails me to call him. Sometimes he lets me pick out only one knife or one of each choice per run. I get surprised emails with invoice notices. He knows that I have never sold or traded a knife in my life. I hate flippers. When a dealer buys a bunch of knives from a manufacturer , those knives are his property. He takes the risk. Knives are costing more , because the US dollar aint worth squat. Every dime my dealer makes ,goes back into his inventory. My dealer does not sell knives for income to live off of. Every knife dealer is different. One size does not fit all. We need every GEC dealer so GEC can survive. Another Pennsylvania shut down and both American knife companies might be shut down for good. If I hate the price of a knife , I won't buy it. The sale is between me and my dealer. Allowing the free markets to work freely is the America Way. I hate regulations and unnecessary rules , they never work in the long run. I like runs of 400 pieces of each choice. My Black Plum jigged bone #47 and #74 do look cute together. "GREAT EASTERN CUTLERY KNIFE COLLECTING IS WAR !" The first time I got mad at GEC , I bought 11 CASE XX knives. The second time I got mad at GEC , I bought a 4" black hammered harpoon clip blade fixed knife with snakewood scaleS. I have 200+ knives. I will stop buying knives when the rapture comes soon. My dealer just sold me a 2008 CASE XX 5.5" closed Texas tooth pick antique brown bone with a long tail "C" shield. My dealer searched his safe/s and found three other knives for me to buy. I hate pearl , so that was a bust. He found a CASE XX Dogleg Jack antique bone and a CASE XX Copperhead #49 Ebony wood , both with long tail "C" shields. I am buying both "sight unseen" after the #47 run. I am paying for service and less aggravation. I hope the GEC SFO program never comes back. I was aiming for 90 GEC knives this year. I have 110 GEC knives in my collection. I give knives away too. If you want God to bless your collection. Give some of the best ones away , it works for me every time. "If it aint worth keeping , it aint worth giving."
What?

Fox79

Gold Member
I believe the jigged bone pattern on the 47 does differ from the jigging pattern of the 74. Both look really good.

Fox79

Gold Member
I just checked my two different black plum knives. I call this "bicycle flat tire jigging" . It is the same jigging on both knives.

Got it. I have heard some complaints about this jigging when the 74’s came out. Personally I love it. I’m patiently awaiting 47 plum coming in the mail to match my 74 plum.

MCar

Gold Member
wSu3QFI.jpg

I LOVE IT ! Many years ago (90s), I was watching "Deep Space Nine" Star Trek on TV. Commander Sisko and General Klang were talking about their wives while Sisko made Chili. Klang left and Commander Sisko's new wife came on the scene. Sisko received a serious behind eating from his wife and she left the scene, mad. Sisko started dumping Klingon dried peppers in the chili . "MARRIAGE IS WAR !"