2020 GEC#47 VIPER RUN

Arrived New Years Eve. What a great way to end a terrible year!

9HIN6gLh.jpg

Thanks! It alleviates my Ironwood Mustang envy. :D
Excellent!

I got mine on Saturday... my first Viper and first Ironwood. I was a bit underwhelmed with the covers initially, so I put it away for a couple days. I'll get it back out for a pic after it's micarta cousin gets here sometime this afternoon.

I received this Ironwood over the weekend and haven't really had a chance to examine it until now. In my opinion, it is a rather lackluster effort - the Ironwood isn't just unpolished, it is actually somewhat rough in patches and it lacks the richness one should expect from Ironwood.

Why GEC will not polish their Ironwood is a thing of great puzzlement to me and it does the Northfield trim a big disservice. I never thought I would be saying this but I actually like the Burlap more... Regardless, it isn't something I have to fret over as I did not get this knife for me but rather a forum buddy - I hope he likes it. Aside from the terrible finish, the knife is mechanically sound and the wood has some really nice grain to it.

I like the Northfield trim on these and I hope the one I am getting in Stag will fix my GEC blues.

7vwB775.jpg

xMnXWDs.jpg

I received this Ironwood over the weekend and haven't really had a chance to examine it until now. In my opinion, it is a rather lackluster effort - the Ironwood isn't just unpolished, it is actually somewhat rough in patches and it lacks the richness one should expect from Ironwood.

Why GEC will not polish their Ironwood is a thing of great puzzlement to me and it does the Northfield trim a big disservice. I never thought I would be saying this but I actually like the Burlap more... Regardless, it isn't something I have to fret over as I did not get this knife for me but rather a forum buddy - I hope he likes it. Aside from the terrible finish, the knife is mechanically sound and the wood has some really nice grain to it.

I like the Northfield trim on these and I hope the one I am getting in Stag will fix my GEC blues.

7vwB775.jpg

xMnXWDs.jpg

I have similar issues with how GEC is treating wood covers. They show up extremely dry and of course unpolished. It's like they get 95% to the finish line, and then just ship them out. A few extra steps and these knives would be stellar. Of course, when they are so in demand and are gone in a minute, it's hard to justify adding more steps on the business side.

2020 Production numbers are in : We were told 275 pieces of each choice on the #47 Viper run **** 352 ironwood **** 330 Sambar Stag **** 370 Brown burlap micarta **** Black Plum jigged 348 **** Bill Howard announced a low number and he caused a "shark frenzy" ! "SMART !"

Last edited:
2020 Production numbers are in : We were told 275 pieces of each choice on the #47 Viper run **** 352 ironwood **** 330 Sambar Stag **** 370 Brown burlap micarta **** Black Plum jigged 348 **** Bill Howard announced low and he caused a "shark frenzy" ! "SMART !"
Would have been a frenzy regardless, easy with the high praise. Could have doubled these numbers still would have been a frenzy.

Well, I got lucky with GPK when they dropped the ironwood this AM. Thought I might have to try for a trade on this run my stag #74 for any of the Vipers but the GEC gods smiled upon me. :)

On the ironwood, I tried a light 320 grit sand carefully avoiding shield and bolsters, then 2-3 light coats of pure tung oil with much improved appearance resulting. This treatment may void the factory warranty.

I love the unfinished wood on my Ray Rantanen custom fixed blade knives, since 2002. I throw all those stupid tubes & knife boxes in yellow large "Bo Jangles" boxes. I got knives strung out all over the place. I will grab any knife and use it. I do not force patina , I just use it. I write "Thank You " letters to Bill Howard all the time since 2018. In every letter , I begged for no stain and a satin finish on wood knives. Bill Howard listened to me on the #47 & #74 GEC knives. I told yall , hand written letter writing works. Use the knife like a toy and enjoy it. Buying a knife to hang on the wall or store in a safe ,is no fun to me. Buying knives for idol worship or investment is no fun. Life is so short. Enjoy the knife. "Kiss it , talk to it , clean it , lose it , find it , clean it , oil it and name it. The more you use those unfinished knives the better they will look and you will love it more.. Don't blame and dog pile on Bill Howard. He listens to his customers. Hand Letter writing works. I am gonna get a behind chewing now ! Baw-ha ! Ha ! Ha ! Ha ! Ha ! Ha ! ha ! If a Chinese made knife bites you , take it outside and beat it with a hammer. Have fun !
Well...alrighty then!

Back