2020 GEC #62 Easy Pocket Congress and Pocket Carver Thread

Fossilization confirmed, thank you.

I did not say or imply that Doug is a reviewer, or that he had reviewed the Pocket Carver. I'm sure his videos are very helpful for those who can't be bothered to figure out for themselves how to reshape a block of wood with a knife. But much was made of his comment, and it appeared that people were forming opinions of the knife based solely on their interpretation of the comment by a person who they know only through YouTube. The fact that he is considered skilled and shares his techniques on that platform makes him (in my personal opinion of course) a YouTube guru.

As for speed in carving, I'm a whittler not a carver. Fast just takes the fun out of it for me.
Not trying to put words in your mouth just trying to clarify.

...But much was made of his comment, and it appeared that people were forming opinions of the knife based solely on their interpretation of the comment by a person who they know only through YouTube.

Sorry for the part I played in this. I actually own two #62 PCs and I’ve developed a strong opinion they are good knives and great for carving. I was taken aback by the review assuming the intent of the knife was purely for carving/whittling, an providing a minor knock against the main blade which I felt was unjustified. In subsequent follow on it has been discovered that the design intent of the knife is to be purely a carver/whittler, so at the very least we can say that Doug’s critique is justifiable, and might provide something worthwhile for people who are unaware of a shortcoming as a carving knife.

k0ACHNX.jpg

hornetguy,

I should have read your post twice. I got a 62 Pocket Carver, set good edges and tested it. Only one cut, through the grain, with almost no strength. It went to more than one inch deep. My thumb was just there.

mpcA84Fh.jpg

Now i know.

Dan.
OUCH! :eek:
Yes... I've been wearing a lot more band-aids recently. It doesn't take much, when the blades are that "slicey". Just little "nick" kind of slips draw blood. I bought a glove, and wore it a few times, but have gotten complacent, and don't wear it any more. :oops:

hornetguy,

I should have read your post twice. I got a 62 Pocket Carver, set good edges and tested it. Only one cut, through the grain, with almost no strength. It went to more than one inch deep. My thumb was just there.

Now i know.

Dan.

man, I hope you’re okay and you heal fast. It always seems like a matter of time before each knife I own bites me.

What kind of wood were you cutting?

The easier the wood is to cut, the faster bad things tend to happen, in my experience. It doesn’t help that those PC secondaries have very little resistance through wood.

Last edited:
I bought a glove, and wore it a few times, but have gotten complacent, and don't wear it any more. :oops:

Attaboy! I know I’ve said it before, but risk and awareness make great bed fellows, and gloves are soooooo inconvenient. Besides, the medical field used leaches and blood letting for a long time, so it’s probably good for you.

OUCH! :eek:
Yes... I've been wearing a lot more band-aids recently. It doesn't take much, when the blades are that "slicey". Just little "nick" kind of slips draw blood. I bought a glove, and wore it a few times, but have gotten complacent, and don't wear it any more. :oops:

man, I hope you’re okay and you heal fast. It always seems like a matter of time before each knife I own bites me.

What kind of wood were you cutting?

The easier the wood is to cut, the faster bad things tend to happen, in my experience. It doesn’t help that those PC secondaries have very little resistance through wood.

I'm fine, just an other scar. I usually wear a knitted Kevlar glove but it was just a test of the edges i had set. My mistake is to have underestimated the cutting ability of the thin secondaries. I worked on a small piece of basswood, the hardest and brittle one I've seen. It didn't help me to work on it for two hours after my nurse, i mean my wife, has taken care of me, "When will you grow up?"
This 62 is really a great knife, a true whittler. Very happy to have got a one and waiting for a natural linen Micarta one. Better two than one.

Dan.

Back