2020 GEC #62 Easy Pocket Congress and Pocket Carver Thread

As promised (a long time ago)... here is the most recent pic of my 62 family. The only duplicate I have is the cocobolo carver.
All the carvers are at the bottom, then all the easy pocket 2020 62's, then the two older versions, in horn, and tomato acrylic at the top.. I will hopefully add some more of the older versions as I find them (and can afford them :rolleyes: ) but aside from that, I think I'm done. :thumbsup:

jPUdye.jpg

Impressive :cool:

But must be getting on for 2K USD :eek:;)

As promised (a long time ago)... here is the most recent pic of my 62 family. The only duplicate I have is the cocobolo carver.
All the carvers are at the bottom, then all the easy pocket 2020 62's, then the two older versions, in horn, and tomato acrylic at the top.. I will hopefully add some more of the older versions as I find them (and can afford them :rolleyes: ) but aside from that, I think I'm done. :thumbsup:

jPUdye.jpg

So...

Out of the 20 knives, if you had to pick one EPC and one PC, what do you choose?

So...

Out of the 20 knives, if you had to pick one EPC and one PC, what do you choose?
Of the easy pocket knives, the one I carry most is the unicorn ivory. I like all of them, and carry several of them occasionally, depending on my mood, but the unicorn is the most carried.
Of the pocket carvers, I think I like the looks of the cocobolo. If the natural micarta had the shield, it would possibly sway my decision. I really like the way it looks, but it doesn't have the shield. However, I USE the white bone one almost exclusively as a "whittler".

I honestly could be happy with ANY of them, to carry and use... I just really like this pattern. To reverse your question, my LEAST favorite of them would be the banana congress, and the muslin carver.

Fortunately, at this point, I am not required to make those decisions, but if I HAD to, those would be "it".

Of the easy pocket knives, the one I carry most is the unicorn ivory. I like all of them, and carry several of them occasionally, depending on my mood, but the unicorn is the most carried.
Of the pocket carvers, I think I like the looks of the cocobolo. If the natural micarta had the shield, it would possibly sway my decision. I really like the way it looks, but it doesn't have the shield. However, I USE the white bone one almost exclusively as a "whittler".

I honestly could be happy with ANY of them, to carry and use... I just really like this pattern. To reverse your question, my LEAST favorite of them would be the banana congress, and the muslin carver.

Fortunately, at this point, I am not required to make those decisions, but if I HAD to, those would be "it".

Very cool. Fun to see you go all in on a pattern that you loved. :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Do you notice a difference in action between any your examples? Mine are all pretty similar except the SMKW micarta SFO, its pull is about half of the others. Maybe I just got a weak one.

Do you notice a difference in action between any your examples? Mine are all pretty similar except the SMKW micarta SFO, its pull is about half of the others. Maybe I just got a weak one.
Yes... I have one or two that are a little lighter than the others....I'll have to check the micarta from SMKW. I think, IIRC, that the black micarta SFO from Mike's Knives is about the lightest, at about a 4-5 pull. They are all within a pretty tight range, though. Nothing really wild, either direction.

Man you just can’t trust photos. I just got the linen Micarta in thanks to an awesome deal from another BF member and the color is amazing, way better than what I’ve seen on dealer websites. There was one posted around here a while back with the red delrin that actually does it justice. As soon as I opened the tube it went from “anticipated ugly duckling” of the collection to new favorite. Still not hornetguy territory...but I’m working on it.

Last edited:
So is there consensus on what makes a good stag handle? Is it symmetry between the sides in terms of texture and color? I ask because I’ve managed to get two, one is pretty even side to side but the other has one side that is pretty gnarly/contoured compared to the other but I favor it. I’ll try to get some photos posted this evening.

Last edited:
So is there consensus on what makes a good stag handle?

No.

Some folks like really gnarly, fat stag. Others like a smoother finish on it. Personally, I like moderately gnarly, but I really want both sides to be as symmetrical as possible, shape-wise. I've seen some that were swelled out (convex) a little on one side, and sunken in (concave) on the other. I prefer them to be at least close to the same. I really like the looks of gnarly stag, but for use, I prefer the more moderate....
This is what I like, for use... I thought I had a pic looking down from the top, but I cannot find it right now... both sides are pretty even in thickness, though.

jI4DFc.jpg
jI4u71.jpg

So is there consensus on what makes a good stag handle? Is it symmetry between the sides in terms of texture and color? I ask because I’ve managed to get two, one is pretty even side to side but the other has one side that is pretty gnarly/contoured compared to the other but I favor it. I’ll try to get some photos posted this evening.

It's like picking a spouse..... Beauty is in the eyes of the beholder..... What excites one person gags another......

hornetguy hornetguy Very good Stag, what I'd like anyway :cool: Match is not important in terms of looks provided both sides are interesting, approx equal thickness is and no 'snake just swallowed prey' bulges in the middle:eek: un :cool:

One man's "Oh, YEAH!" is another man's "Oh, NO!" when it comes to stag. That's why I avoid it as much as possible. Good or bad is a total crapshoot when you buy sight unseen, or even with limited pictures. I don't recall ever buying a knife because I liked the stag, but I've bought a few in spite of it.

One man's "Oh, YEAH!" is another man's "Oh, NO!" when it comes to stag. That's why I avoid it as much as possible. Good or bad is a total crapshoot when you buy sight unseen, or even with limited pictures. I don't recall ever buying a knife because I liked the stag, but I've bought a few in spite of it.

yea, it’s not my favorite material but I still prefer it to a lot of the bone choices other than the white smooth which GEC seems to do such a good job with. I lean towards the woods and synthetics.

Those look nice... they seem to be pretty evenly matched in "gnarliness"..... I'd say you did good...
Thanks, told myself I would pick one and put the other on the exchange...but I’m finding it hard to let go of either lol. I might hang onto both just a bit longer.

Back