2020 GEC #62 Easy Pocket Congress and Pocket Carver Thread

Thanks. I pretty much did this with one of the small blades. It cuts much better. I marked my large blade up quite a bit carving a found stick. I figured I could get a pro to improve the performance and restore the finish.

Last edited:
Very good process description here! I would only advice to have three stone: coarse, medium, and fine. I imagine that the process took pretty much time using only fine grit stone. I think one could practice with medium, but fine is way too slow.
For the sake of brevity, because this thread is not about sharpening techniques, I went with the fine stone alone because I wanted to take it slow. Once I’m more comfortable with sharpening I’ll move on to getting more stones to speed up the process. Thanks for the advice!
Thanks. I pretty much did this with one of the small blades. It cuts mush better. I marked my large blade up quite a bit carving a found stick. I figured I could get a pro to improve the performance and restore the finish.
If your biggest concern is the finish of the blade there are plenty of easy low risk methods of taking care of that floating around the internet. That way you don’t have to pay a higher price getting it done by a professional and you learn how to do it for every knife you have.

Thanks. How do you fix the angle for such small blades? I can get down to 15 per side on my Sharpmaker. That being said my bench carving knife is about 12-15 degrees inclusive.

For the sake of brevity, because this thread is not about sharpening techniques, I went with the fine stone alone because I wanted to take it slow. Once I’m more comfortable with sharpening I’ll move on to getting more stones to speed up the process. Thanks for the advice!

If your biggest concern is the finish of the blade there are plenty of easy low risk methods of taking care of that floating around the internet. That way you don’t have to pay a higher price getting it done by a professional and you learn how to do it for every knife you have.

Well I took the edge angles way down with DMT diamond plates, then a ceramic stone, then stropped. These blades are really wicked carving sharp now. Not the prettiest job but this is a working knife for me. I suppose I can polish the blades at some point. I’d say these blades are cutting as well as my bench blades now. Thanks!

Reactions: AxF
I finally got one of these and just love the slender, stabby, pokey, slicey little blades and nice stag! Good in the pocket, too. :thumbsup: 😍 :thumbsup:

JLicyYE.jpg

QCcqOTn.jpg

I am having a hard time discerning which models offered a coping blade? Appears very few?
To my knowledge, no #62 has a coping blade. The pocket carvers have very diminutive secondary wharnecliff blades.

Back