2020 GEC #62 Easy Pocket Congress and Pocket Carver Thread

Discussion in 'Traditional Folders and Fixed Blades' started by waverave, Nov 20, 2019.

1. pmek5

pmek5 Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 27, 2007
    This 62 Split Back Whittler has to be one of the best made GEC's I have seen. You might swear it's a custom.

[​IMG]

untytled, Aryan29, Boxer .45 and 30 others like this.
  2. gaj999

gaj999 Basic Member Basic Member

Jan 25, 2004
    I like. I want.

Boxer .45, pmek5 and shadowram like this.
  3. waynorth

waynorth Dealer / Materials Provider Dealer / Materials Provider

Nov 19, 2005
    Real nice one, Tim!!:thumbsup: Looks good in Black!!:cool:

Onearmbladenut, hopsbreath and pmek5 like this.
  4. Mayonardo

Mayonardo

Oct 28, 2010
    I surely like the Congress patterns. Will be ordering one as soon as they are available.

5. GE Jr

GE Jr Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 29, 2015
    Dumb question...how many springs?

6. Pàdruig

Pàdruig Live and Let Die Platinum Member

Dec 1, 2016
    I think that is far from a dumb question! Wouldn't a single spring be pretty sweet?

GE Jr and Jathes like this.
  7. Mayonardo

Mayonardo

Oct 28, 2010
    I suspect a single spring.

8. waynorth

waynorth Dealer / Materials Provider Dealer / Materials Provider

Nov 19, 2005
    My older one is a single spring!! If they make the whittler, of course it will have two!!

9. paulhilborn

paulhilborn Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 22, 2006
    Opps, wrong thread:oops:

Onearmbladenut likes this.
  10. JustinR

JustinR Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 1, 2008
    Well it's only been the better part of a decade....better start setting money aside now.....I think I'll need one of each.

I hope we can get a Whittler out of this run too....never have been able to find one in jigged bone.

11. pistonsandgears

pistonsandgears Gold Member Gold Member

Aug 12, 2011
    Nice to see this pattern finally coming back around. I like the Tidioute shields. Would be nice to see the crown shield, as GEC calls it, again on the Northfields
    [​IMG]

sitflyer, untytled, Aryan29 and 18 others like this.
  12. Sabercat

Sabercat Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 9, 2015
    I'm not generally a congress guy, but that one is a beauty!

13. pistonsandgears

pistonsandgears Gold Member Gold Member

Aug 12, 2011
    Thanks, it is one of my favorite GECs. I would not consider myself a congress guy either, but I am a sucker for a whittler. Would be nice to see come whittlers again but not sure that will be in the cards this time around. As far as congress patterns go I do like GECs 62 pattern.

Sabercat likes this.
  14. rockgolfer

rockgolfer Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 1, 2008
    Finally! Please GEC, make the whittler :)

A few of my favorites already posted, great examples, fellas! Think I may have to get a few flavors of these and so the wait begins

JustinR and gaj999 like this.
  15. L.H.S

L.H.S Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 1, 2013
    Judging by how Will talked about it, if memory serves, I am shocked they're using it again. But happy!

Charlie, the #13 had both of my most hated issues (blade rap and proud tips) on all 3 that I got. Do you know if the #62 is less likely to have such issues?

Also, that stone is super cool. Is it carved, or natural?

waynorth likes this.
  16. Ajd3530

Ajd3530

Jan 20, 2017
    Glad they decided on the #62 instead of the #61. The #13 kind of made the #61 obsolete. I appreciate the pocket friendliness of the #62 though. I collect acrylic, so obviously the unicorn is coming home with me. I'm not crazy, not will I ever be, about the gimmicky banana shield, but I love camel bone, and that'll be a sought after piece in the future.. I'm really digging the Tidioute stamped bowtie shield too.

17. traumkommode

traumkommode Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 3, 2015
    See my remark to Kiro

Yes, and part of the "easy pocket" designation was the rounded bolsters, as compared to the square bolsters on the 62.

Man that acrylic is so cool! It seems like in the more recent offerings, the acrylics have started to regain popularity momentum. I hope we might see some more cool stuff like what's on your knives. In an unabashedly gaudily don't care way, I really like that gold sparkle, too. A black sparkle would rock.

I'm not Charlie, but I for one would be quite surprised if you got one of these that had blade wrap. The blades are both short enough and not broad enough, AND the springs are typically an easy 5... All three ingredients for an easy closing, nice snapping, easy pocket.

I think the blade on the 13, even the clerk/office knife was longer. On the 61/62 the mains are in between full length and secondary blade length for other comparable knives.

L.H.S likes this.
  18. L.H.S

L.H.S Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 1, 2013
    Thanks for the reply, I thought that might be the case!

A lot of people asking what unicorn Ivory Acrylic is. I'm not 100% sure it's literally this material from the same manufacturer, but it definitely looks 100% the same.

https://guitarpartsandmore.com/productCategory.php?Resin-Ivory-trade-S-Grade-Inlay-Slabs-189

19. Travman

Travman Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 26, 2016
    That is the perfect shield for a 62. I love how the curvature of the shield matches the curvature of the pattern. Triple lined bolsters are a nice touch too.

Ramrodmb, redsparrow and Will Power like this.
  20. Onearmbladenut

Onearmbladenut Gold Member Gold Member Basic Member

Jul 19, 2018
    "Oily creek bone saw cut" "Blueberry peach seed jigged bone" "Autumn Leaf peach seed jigged bone" "Blue river acrylic" "Blue camel bone. Hey Everybody, DLT Trading still has their SFO GEC#12 Toothpicks. I bought one myself. Those Toothpicks are the longest available GEC SFO knives in GEC history. I love mine ! I highly recommend that DLT SFO #12 toothpick knife for every blade collection.

SDknifeguy and L.H.S like this.