2020 GEC #74 Mustang Thread

hornetguy

Gold Member
Spent a little time today on my previously 'brushed' Ironwood Mustang. Used some strips of 1000, 1500, and 2000 grit sandpaper - and then a few polishes with some Mother's Mag & Aluminum Polish. I'm pretty happy with the results. :thumbsup:

SD4o6zB.jpg
Very nice... it looks like it really brought out the grain in the wood. While I don't like a glossy finish on wood, a satin finish on wood sanded down like you did, to "really fine" grit looks fantastic. Almost like you can see down into it...

2020 Production numbers #74 are in : We were told 200 pieces per choice on the #74 Viper run *** 371 Back plum jigged bone **** 365 Brown Burlap micarta ***** 352 ironwood **** 330 Sambar Stag *** Announce low and cause a "SHARK FRENZY" ! Bill Howard is "SMART !"

I finally pocketed my ironwood today, factory oil still on it. The stag is still my favorite and gets a lot of pocket time, but wanted to switch it up today. I’m starting to like the unpolished look.

sunknife

Gold Member
I missed out on the recent 74 drop but was fortunate enough acquire this one in trade thanks to a fellow forum member. Got it in yesterdays mail
and polished it up this morning to get a bit of sheen. Flitzed the bolster scratches out and hit the scales with some 1000 grit w/d sandpaper.
Coated scales with a beeswax and mineral oil mix, followed up with paste wax. No issues with this one that I can find, excellent blade centering,
perfect pulls and snap, nicely fitted shield, gapless liners, etc. My first knife with burl wood scales, can't stop admiring it.:D
74 AZ Ironwood-1 - 1.jpeg 74 AZ Ironwood-2 - 1.jpeg

Old Engineer

Gold Member
I missed out on the recent 74 drop but was fortunate enough acquire this one in trade thanks to a fellow forum member. Got it in yesterdays mail
and polished it up this morning to get a bit of sheen. Flitzed the bolster scratches out and hit the scales with some 1000 grit w/d sandpaper.
Coated scales with a beeswax and mineral oil mix, followed up with paste wax. No issues with this one that I can find, excellent blade centering,
perfect pulls and snap, nicely fitted shield, gapless liners, etc. My first knife with burl wood scales, can't stop admiring it.:D
View attachment 1488169 View attachment 1488170
I do not know what you traded but you got something pretty nice in return Greg. Congrats !!!!

Harry

sunknife

Gold Member
I do not know what you traded but you got something pretty nice in return Greg. Congrats !!!!

Harry

Thanks, Harry. I had an orange bone 74 safe queen from a previous run that was also real nice, straight up trade and both parties were pleased. :)
I'm very happy with this ironwood, great knife.:thumbsup: