2020 GEC Rendezvous - August 7th and 8th

Yep, I'm coming from Texas again. This will be my 10th year in a row. Last year I was hobbling due to a foot surgery and did some suffering for the cause. It was well worth it to see the great guys and gals. Foot is 90% now. Old folks heal slower. Old folks have taught me the best things in life.

(If you're who I'm thinking you are)

You sure toughed it out though! I thought you deserved a chair.

Yep, I'm coming from Texas again. This will be my 10th year in a row. Last year I was hobbling due to a foot surgery and did some suffering for the cause. It was well worth it to see the great guys and gals. Foot is 90% now. Old folks heal slower. Old folks have taught me the best things in life.

Always good to see you, Will. Even at 30% you were still doing pretty good! I seem to remember some good scores.

I won't be able to make it out this year unfortunately...just have too many big trips already planned. I really hope I can make it happen next year. Until then, I am looking forward to the OKCA show in April. For me, that is the closest to a GEC Rendezvous as I can get :)

As always, I very much look forward to the photos and stories this year. I get all giddy seeing the SFA's, grails, etc!!! Thanks everyone for sharing here :thumbsup:

I hope you make it out one of these years, Darren. It’s a good time, it’s almost worth it just for the displays on the walls.

I’m going to make it one of these years… but it probably won’t be this year. :rolleyes: We’re expecting our second kiddo in May, and if she comes on or near her due date, the week of the Rendezvous will likely be my wife’s first week back at work after her maternity leave. So yeah… probably not happening this year. :D

I do always enjoy getting to live vicariously through those of you who are able to go and are kind enough to post pictures for the rest of us. At some point, though, I’m going to make it over to Titusville and experience the Rendezvous in person! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Always good to see you, Will. Even at 30% you were still doing pretty good! I seem to remember some good scores.

Colin,

I hope you make it out one of these years, Darren. It’s a good time, it’s almost worth it just for the displays on the walls.

Colin,

Obviously I thought I was healed a bit more than I actually was. The only reason I brought the knee scooter along was the excessive long walk at the Houston airport terminal. Never thought I would have to drag it out at the Rendezvous. So glad I had it with me. I may stay the whole week again this year. August is blistering here in south Texas. And yes, thanks to the fine folks there, I was able to obtain some very nice GEC's. Happy Happy

Reservations made . Could not get what I asked for but did get a room . Filling up ?????

Harry

Reservations made . Could not get what I asked for but did get a room . Filling up ?????

Harry

At the golf course? When are you coming in?

I reserved in January as the flights took a little dip in price. Of course now that they changed the format I get to entertain myself Thursday and miss the picnic entirely....

I’m going to make it one of these years… but it probably won’t be this year. :rolleyes: We’re expecting our second kiddo in May, and if she comes on or near her due date, the week of the Rendezvous will likely be my wife’s first week back at work after her maternity leave. So yeah… probably not happening this year. :D

I do always enjoy getting to live vicariously through those of you who are able to go and are kind enough to post pictures for the rest of us. At some point, though, I’m going to make it over to Titusville and experience the Rendezvous in person! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
I won't be going this year either Barrett, maybe some year we can fly out of the cities into Buffalo and drive down to Titusville?;):) Wherever we fly into it's about an 1 1/2 to 2 hr drive unless we fly directly into Erie?

At the golf course? When are you coming in?

I reserved in January as the flights took a little dip in price. Of course now that they changed the format I get to entertain myself Thursday and miss the picnic entirely....
Staying at the Quality Inn and arriving on the 6 th . Sure glad to see that you will be there this year Mike .

Harry

Last edited:
Off topic, but just getting this off my chest.

My older brother and I went to the rendezvous back in 2018. We had just the greatest time spending a few days together reminiscing and enjoying Titusville. Street party, nice meals in family restaurants, the oil well museum and the GEC factory tour. He liked the small car rally and small town hospitality.

I had been trying to talk him into going again this year if things improved. I had our room booked.

Yesterday morning he left home in the AM for the family stable to let the horses out and suffered a massive heart attack. Dead when he hit the ground. Our 88 year old dad found him outside the stable doors just a few minutes later on the ground face up, looking like he had just decided to take a nap. Still had the horse leads in his hand. He had just turned 64 less than two weeks back. No known health issues. We spoke regularly but lived three hours drive apart and our jobs made it hard to connect. The Rendezvous was really a special time.

Last night I opened my Instagram account before bed and the first photo that appeared was of a GEC brass 44 with the bullet shield. That was the knife we saw being produced on the tour. My brother was so impressed and he is not a “knife guy” like us. Once you see the skills involved to produce those beautiful final products it is impressive. I was so glad he enjoyed it.

One last special time together. Man this sucks!

,,,Mike in Canada

My older brother and I went to the rendezvous back in 2018. We had just the greatest time spending a few days together reminiscing and enjoying Titusville. Street party, nice meals in family restaurants, the oil well museum and the GEC factory tour. He liked the small car rally and small town hospitality.

I had been trying to talk him into going again this year if things improved. I had our room booked.

Yesterday morning he left home in the AM for the family stable to let the horses out and suffered a massive heart attack. Dead when he hit the ground. Our 88 year old dad found him outside the stable doors just a few minutes later on the ground face up, looking like he had just decided to take a nap. Still had the horse leads in his hand. He had just turned 64 less than two weeks back. No known health issues. We spoke regularly but lived three hours drive apart and our jobs made it hard to connect. The Rendezvous was really a special time.

Last night I opened my Instagram account before bed and the first photo that appeared was of a GEC brass 44 with the bullet shield. That was the knife we saw being produced on the tour. My brother was so impressed and he is not a “knife guy” like us. Once you see the skills involved to produce those beautiful final products it is impressive. I was so glad he enjoyed it.

,,,Mike in Canada

Good grief... I can't imagine what you are going through. Prayers for you and your family....

,,,Mike in Canada
My condolences Mike. Death is never easy, but it is especially hard when it comes unexpectedly. My prayers for you and your family as you mourn the loss of your brother.

,,,Mike in Canada
Felt funny "liking" your post, but I'm glad you told us, and sad to hear about your brother, Mike!!
May he Rest in Peace, and your memories be fond!!

Sorry for your loss Mike, my condolences. Your Brother sent you a sign........ The image of the Brass 44 that impressed him on your visit. This you will remember when thinking of him.

Back