2021 GEC #15 Urban Jack Photo Thread

lzVxfzG.jpg
Still a great picture, you have the touch. :cool::thumbsup:
And I see you have a little something to warm you up from the ice. ;)

Urban Jack LOL My grandfather would laugh his a$$ of at this. Maybe next we'll have one with a little mirror that flips out lol
My grandfather carried a knife with a nail file. Is a comb that much different? They’re both grooming items. But maybe your grandfather would have laughed at that also.

Well, I stand corrected.:eek:
The spring on the Urban Jack BRR tool is more stout and it is an improvement! No feeling that the comb itself is too flimsy for the stiffer action. :thumbsup:

wWZ93Y2.jpg

For some reason I thought the Urban Jack was going to be a bit bigger. Thanks for the comparison with the B&S.

In a very rare instance of brilliant luck, I was able to scoop up one of these Urban Jacks and despite all the ice and snow, it made it to my doorstep safely today.

It is a strange knife but it is a rather well-made one - better made than the recent Barlows, in my opinion. I prefer 2-blade 15s and the only ones I've kept over the years (aside from Barlows), are examples with two blades. The added heft that a secondary blade provides on a 15, makes the knife 100% more enjoyable to me and though the BRRT is a bit thinner than some secondary blades, it still provides the desired result.

The main blade has the typical pull that I am accustomed to on 15s, though it could certainly benefit from a good flush. The comb surprised me though and it has a similar pull to the main and has some delightful snap to it. Overall the blade is ground well, nice and thin behind the edge, though it is still left a bit obtuse at the point - something else that I am used to seeing on GECs.

No gaps, smooth transitions, and a properly inlet shield - the fit and finish on this is quite good. Though I do not care for the etch, I do very much like the shield - even with the stamping. It reminds me of some of the vintage shields that you would see on some of the older knives - like Keen Kutter and the like.

It is an odd duck and is the cause for some mirthful head scratching but I like it and it's one that folks won't easily forget. I do hope to scoop up one in the Green Jigged bone as I prefer that cover material and this one in Micarta already has another home.

My apologies for the picture quality - my source of natural lighting was compromised by freezing rain. I had to get creative with some indoor pics.

lzVxfzG.jpg

Great feedback and nice pic!

My grandpa carried a knife and a comb... probably would have liked having them together. ;)

True that. I always (or did prior to the B&S), carry a comb. Why not COMBine them?

Mine is supposed to arrive today; can’t wait!

Well, I stand corrected.:eek:
The spring on the Urban Jack BRR tool is more stout and it is an improvement! No feeling that the comb itself is too flimsy for the stiffer action. :thumbsup:

And....the spine on the Urban Jack's Comb is even thinner than that of the Beer and Sausage!
wWZ93Y2.jpg

KxUW7bI.jpg

ZOKEegR.jpg
Great pics!:cool::thumbsup:

In a very rare instance of brilliant luck, I was able to scoop up one of these Urban Jacks and despite all the ice and snow, it made it to my doorstep safely today.

It is a strange knife but it is a rather well-made one - better made than the recent Barlows, in my opinion. I prefer 2-blade 15s and the only ones I've kept over the years (aside from Barlows), are examples with two blades. The added heft that a secondary blade provides on a 15, makes the knife 100% more enjoyable to me and though the BRRT is a bit thinner than some secondary blades, it still provides the desired result.

The main blade has the typical pull that I am accustomed to on 15s, though it could certainly benefit from a good flush. The comb surprised me though and it has a similar pull to the main and has some delightful snap to it. Overall the blade is ground well, nice and thin behind the edge, though it is still left a bit obtuse at the point - something else that I am used to seeing on GECs.

No gaps, smooth transitions, and a properly inlet shield - the fit and finish on this is quite good. Though I do not care for the etch, I do very much like the shield - even with the stamping. It reminds me of some of the vintage shields that you would see on some of the older knives - like Keen Kutter and the like.

It is an odd duck and is the cause for some mirthful head scratching but I like it and it's one that folks won't easily forget. I do hope to scoop up one in the Green Jigged bone as I prefer that cover material and this one in Micarta already has another home.

My apologies for the picture quality - my source of natural lighting was compromised by freezing rain. I had to get creative with some indoor pics.

lzVxfzG.jpg

Nice pics! I agree about the shield and lettering- love it! Looks great in the canvas too. The name and etch... well, eh. I won't let that ruin it for me.:thumbsup:

This is surprisingly one of, if not thee, most well made GEC’s I own now. The transitions to the bolsters, pins, and back springs are flawless.

A perfect 6 or 7 pull on both the blade and the comb. I’m ecstatic that they made the comb’s action just like the blade (whereas the B&S was kinda... floppy). You get a brilliantly satisfying ’twang’ when closing the comb.

It’s also much more comfortable. The ergos, even for being of similar size, are better. The comb (when closed) on the B&S seemed to be a hot spot; not this time!

I didn’t think the B&S would get kicked out, but for now, this little guy is taking over.

CCFBFC64-E9A8-4763-9E6B-9D07CC004C06.jpeg

Last edited:
This is surprisingly one of, if not thee, most well made GEC’s I own now. The transitions to the bolsters, pins, and back springs are flawless.

A perfect 6 or 7 pull on both the blade and the comb. I’m ecstatic that they made the comb’s action just like the blade (whereas the B&S was kinda... floppy). You get a brilliantly satisfying ’twang’ when closing the comb.

It’s also much more comfortable. The ergos, even for being of similar size, are better. The comb (when closed) on the B&S seemed to be a hot spot; not this time!

I didn’t think the B&S would get kicked out, but for now, this little guy is taking over.

View attachment 1509462
I’m surprised they were able to make the pull on the comb more stout. I said earlier I didn’t think it could be done because the spring is so thin. Maybe they made a taller spring to provide more resistance? I guess that’s why they’re making knives and I’m not.

I’m liking the micarta. If I end up with a bone instead and anyone wants to make an even trade, I’m in :)

The jigged bone tempted me, but it’s tough for me to pass up on micarta especially after the B&S.

Loving the overall size and blade on this. I wasn’t familiar with this... enlarged pen style shape, but I really like it.

B12EBB33-A4FC-401E-8153-461B98553B0B.jpeg

Back