2022 Ben Hogan #65 thread

Well, late to the party, as usual, but it is really hard to land a GEC in Europe these days (yes, even harder than in the US). I collect GEC stainless, so I was excited to hear about the 65s. I missed the drop on the EU distributor's website for both the Horse Hogan and Fish Keeper, but, luckily, a US-based collector sold me one at a reasonable price, and agreed to send it to my sister's house in PA to boot. A lot of gratitude for that.

The knife is great! A little longer than usual for me, but the slender depth and height make it seem smaller. The pull is a a bit light (4.5?), but that makes it easily pinchable. The blade is very slightly off-center (not even close to rubbing), but there are zero gaps, bumps or play. Perfectly flush spring open and closed, but slightly proud at the half-stop (which has been common on my recent GEC purchases). Nicely done, in my opinion.

Apologies for the poor photo; I just returned from a long trip (~ 22,000 miles in total) and hope to post something better when I am a little more cogent...

View attachment 1903051
Good looking Osage!

I like this knife ... it's my first knife with Tortoise Shell Acrylic and I'm very impressed with its 3D look
bwGYghl.jpg

Don't think I ever posted mine, but I'm really pleased with it. I'm in love with the Orange Osage Wood, it has great character. As to the knife, its up there for my knife of the year along with the Ironwood 88, maybe that will change once I get my hands on the 35 cattle knife ;). Its a bit longer than what I usually prefer but I've grown to like it. Fit and finish is exemplary as to be expected and absolutely no blade rap. Another A+ in my book.

Until the recent release, all the previous fish knives were F&F. Only exception being the #63 fish knives which were GEC brand in stainless.
I'm ashamed to admit I never saw that page! I brought discredit to the public school system because I stopped reading once I saw '#65 Ben Hogan' on the drop-down list - never to see '#65 F&F Fish Knife' until now. Thanks for the link, I'll edit my post with some photos of my '22 65s in penance later.

I always appreciated that they changed “Farm & Field” to “Farm & Field & Fish” for the #65 fish knives. F&F&F! 😁

I got one of the recent #65s in tortoise shell acrylic (just haven’t gotten around to taking any pics yet). It’s a cool knife, and I now greatly regret not picking up one of the F&F&F #65s in Nifebrite when I could have.

I just got this 651222 Fish Keeper today (actually, it showed up yesterday, but I was out of town and my neighbor received it for me)! It is virtually perfect: centered blades, no gaps, smooth transitions. Both springs are slightly proud at the half, but flush open and closed. As I mentioned in my post about the Osage, I collect stainless GECs but I had just about given up hope of acquiring one of these, at least in the near term. Luckily, Johnnythefox Johnnythefox gave me a heads-up that the UK GEC distributor had some knives and this was one of them. I had pretty much stopped checking this distributor's website, as it hasn't been updated in ages. Thanks, John! Very appreciative! As usual, a day late, a dollar short, and a crappy photo...

gec651222SS_small.jpg

I just got this 651222 Fish Keeper today (actually, it showed up yesterday, but I was out of town and my neighbor received it for me)! It is virtually perfect: centered blades, no gaps, smooth transitions. Both springs are slightly proud at the half, but flush open and closed. As I mentioned in my post about the Osage, I collect stainless GECs but I had just about given up hope of acquiring one of these, at least in the near term. Luckily, Johnnythefox Johnnythefox gave me a heads-up that the UK GEC distributor had some knives and this was one of them. I had pretty much stopped checking this distributor's website, as it hasn't been updated in ages. Thanks, John! Very appreciative! As usual, a day late, a dollar short, and a crappy photo
Glad you got one! I love having stainless on these fishkeepers, and took mine out this weekend chasing some trout. Great knife.

View attachment 2000536

I just got this 651222 Fish Keeper today (actually, it showed up yesterday, but I was out of town and my neighbor received it for me)! It is virtually perfect: centered blades, no gaps, smooth transitions. Both springs are slightly proud at the half, but flush open and closed. As I mentioned in my post about the Osage, I collect stainless GECs but I had just about given up hope of acquiring one of these, at least in the near term. Luckily, Johnnythefox Johnnythefox gave me a heads-up that the UK GEC distributor had some knives and this was one of them. I had pretty much stopped checking this distributor's website, as it hasn't been updated in ages. Thanks, John! Very appreciative! As usual, a day late, a dollar short, and a crappy photo...

View attachment 2000517
That’s great news,I am glad the heads up helped you.
It just goes to show anything is possible.

Back