2022 Lick Creek Barlow #14 thread

20220515_091721_copy_768x1024.jpg
This bright wood is simple but beautiful. Fit and finish are great. I am surprised that mine has a signifcantly lighter spring than past runs. Anyone else?

For me, the tigjt and snappy action of the 14 has always been a draw. Makes a small knife feel more sturdy. This new run loses that, but it may be a nice option for those that want a small knife that is easier to manage.

View attachment 1818749
This bright wood is simple but beautiful. Fit and finish are great. I am surprised that mine has a signifcantly lighter spring than past runs. Anyone else?

For me, the tigjt and snappy action of the 14 has always been a draw. Makes a small knife feel more sturdy. This new run loses that, but it may be a nice option for those that want a small knife that is easier to manage.
I cannot speak to that as this is my first #14. I can say that mine locks up nice and tight with no wobble. I’m happy with mine. 😃

I’ve owned two TC14s in the past that have since been moved on. They were snappy and felt much better than this run. Received my coco yesterday and, while a nice knife, just feels unfinished. Not snappy, coco is very lite and the TC has no color. I hate to say anything negative but these don’t feel like they were made by the same company that just kicked butt with the 88s…not to mention they are running in the same price range

Thank you sir!

The caramel cocobolo is much more pleasing to my eye than the dark. I don’t mind the pull on a small knife like this at a 4. I certainly wouldn’t mind it at a 6 either, but this is quite nice. It definitely falls in the realm of taste. I’ve been wanting a small knife for awhile and have not been happy with the latest GEC options. 19, 49, 94 were all close but no cigar for me. This one has the it factor I like.

I have a Goldenrod sawcut coming as well. It will be interesting to see if I end up keeping them both.

My 49 has a very light pull and actually has quite a bit of side to side blade play - while this isn’t ideal and I wouldn’t accept that on any larger knife, I don’t really mind it; it’s for light duty tasks, and is VERY fidgety. I imagine the 14, being even smaller, is the same.

Side note: I’ve driven my wife absolutely nuts because I open/close it so much and the light pull is the reason for that.

Edit: I slightly change that line of thinking. The 14, being a Barlow, should definitely not have the side to side play. But the light pull and fidget factor would probably come with the territory of how small it is (that is certainly not form experience though).

Last edited:
Back