1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Week 29 of the BladeForums.com Year of Giveaways is live! Enter to win a Ron Flaherty Folder

Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Ron Flaherty folder , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!
    Be sure to read the rules before entering, and help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread!

Entries will close at 11:59PM Saturday, July 20 ; winners will be drawn on Sunday @ 5pm on our Youtube Channel: TheRealBladeForums. Bonus prizes will be given during the livestream!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

22inch Ganga Ram

Discussion in 'Himalayan Imports' started by Forsaken82, Feb 10, 2019.

1. Forsaken82

Forsaken82 Basic Member Basic Member

May 17, 2018
    Who has one? Finally getting my own next week and would love to see some pictures!

The Ganga Ram is what brought me to H.I. after reading "Monster Hunter International"

2. ndoghouse

ndoghouse Gold Member Gold Member

Aug 26, 2010
    I hear ya loudly Forsaken82! Ive been wanting one as well but they are very rare for some reason. I had to finally settle with a 20" AK but I really did want some more weight and the 22" GRS would have done the job im thinking. I still use my big AK's and love them but I still dream about a Magnum 25" AK or 22" GRS! Good luck to ya and please do post some pics and review if your able. Im not familiar with what "Monster Hunter International" is but sounds like fun already! Thanks for posting!

philllll likes this.
  3. davidf99

davidf99 Platinum Member Platinum Member

Sep 27, 2011
    Closest I can come is this 20" 45 oz GRS by Purna kami that I got from the BigBore577 collection after he passed away.

That's about as much weight as I'd want to wield with one hand. I would expect a 22" GRS to be a lot heavier.

GRS20in-Purna45oz-01cr.JPG

4. Howard Wallace

Howard Wallace . Moderator

Feb 23, 1999
    Try going to the HI archives forum on this board and searching “Ganga Ram”. Then go to the oldest search results first. You will find things like this thread.

https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/the-ancient-kami-and-the-magical-khukuri.125529/

Some of the pictures may be gone but you can get a lot of the story. I have some pictures of old Ganga and his work but I am not where I can access them at the moment. If you really feel like digging there are some posts by Bill in the archives predating the earliest mention of Ganga Ram, when he had heard of the legend and rumors and was tracking them down.

5. Steely_Gunz

Steely_Gunz Got the Khukuri fevah Moderator

May 9, 2002
    I've got a 21" Ganga Ram I bought, I dunno, in 2002. A huge storm knocked over several trees at my mom's house. I cut my way out of the driveway with a 25" Kobra I had just bought that was in my trunk so that I could get back to my apartment. For the clean up, I emailed Uncle Bill about a giant chopper. He sent me the khuk I would go on to dub "Uber" (well before the ride share service:D)

It's a monster. The weight alone would blast through 8" limbs. The only thing I had to modify was they grip diameter was set up for a guy with xxl gloves.

I could see why a big monster slaying dude like Owen Pitt would use one to good effect;)

Great book series and universe. However, I really only enjoy the ones Larry has written.

6. Forsaken82

May 17, 2018
    I have been going through the pages my search brought up and reading for a while. Sadly most of the pictures are gone. I wish i could say i lived a life where i needed it more than just wanted it but for now im stuck where i am.

7. Yangdu

Yangdu [email protected] Himalayan Imports-Owner Moderator

Apr 5, 2005
    Busy out here in Reno will post pic as soon as I get some free time, stay tuned

8. Forsaken82

May 17, 2018
    I got your email. I cant wait to order it! That is a beautiful knife!

9. philllll

philllll Gold Member Gold Member

May 23, 2013
    I have a couple that I will try to dig out for photos!

10. Yangdu

Apr 5, 2005
    [​IMG]

11. Yangdu

Apr 5, 2005
    Kumar done wonderful work on this one!

Forsaken82 likes this.
  12. philllll

May 23, 2013
    [​IMG]

My 18", 22", and 25" GRs

George Azar and Forsaken82 like this.
  13. Forsaken82

May 17, 2018
    Man that 25 is a monster!

14. philllll

May 23, 2013
    Yep!

[​IMG]

George Azar and Forsaken82 like this.
  15. Forsaken82

May 17, 2018
    Its a great series about basically a group of mercs who hunt all kinds of monsters. The gov pays the bounty. Great series, i may have the epubs floating around if you want to check it out.

ndoghouse likes this.
  16. Dirtbiker

Dirtbiker

Jul 2, 2010
    I had an early 22 ganga ram that weighed in the mid 60s oz. So right around 4 pounds or so.

I'm a big guy and for me for ultra heavy choppers 32-38oz is the sweet spot.

philllll likes this.
  17. philllll

May 23, 2013
    @Dirtbiker I'm pretty sure I got the one in the middle of my photo with the smooth handle from you

18. EricTheRedBeard

EricTheRedBeard Basic Member Basic Member

May 17, 2018
    That was a great read. Thanks for posting. I wonder if Collin became a Dr.

19. George Azar

George Azar Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 18, 2017
    06BB636D-2849-4E78-A24A-E82AE2A41B22.jpeg 969B60F3-8FCD-4E03-B035-588221190699.jpeg My 25”, 60 oz Magnum CAK by Kumar and 16.5” CAK by Purna

philllll likes this.
  20. cul4u01

cul4u01 Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 5, 2012
    That's a beauty.