1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Recommendation? 3´´ flipper under 50$

Discussion in 'General Knife Discussion' started by Therom, Dec 8, 2018 at 12:03 PM.

1. Therom

Therom

Nov 13, 2013
    hello

I am looking for a small flipper for light urban edc tasks.

I would like something:
    - blade length 3 inches max
    - liner lock is prefered
    - good flipping action
    - light weight
    - lanyard hole if possible
    - don’t care of pocket clip for this one
    - blade shape: standard, drop point or clip point
    - in the range of 50$, best if under 50$
    - don’t care much about steel as much as it can cut properly

I tried a Skyline, but I have been disappointed by the handle ergonomics and IMO the cost is high for what it is

2. Fixall

Fixall Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 26, 2018
    Steel Will Mini Cutjack???

3. Therom

Therom

Nov 13, 2013
    The cutjack is really good pick, but I am looking for somethings nag little less “tactical” for n the look

4. sgt1372

sgt1372

Oct 16, 2018
    More Kershaws than you can shake a stick at for under $50.

You can get a Ken Onion designed (1670) for under $50 for a blem (I've got 2) or for about $55 for a non-blem. If that's too much for you, you can get a Natrix (7007) for $35; it's super light and very sharp. I own one of each, both are highly rated and both make excellent EDCs.

5. Durham68

Durham68 Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 23, 2015
    Kershaw Atmos

bryan123, Bobadilla004 and Rich S like this.
  6. Velitrius

Velitrius

Mar 3, 2000
    This guy beat me to it. Your search has ended.

7. Yo Mama

Yo Mama

Sep 25, 2011
    Buck small vantage

Everything except great flipping action but its workable.

Earl1 likes this.
  8. Halfneck

Halfneck Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 30, 2005
    Steel Will.

Not a fan of choils so I went with the Mini-Intrigue first. My favorite is the Modus. The Mini-Intrigue sees EDC time at my job as it is slim & smaller. The flipping action is ok, and there were a few sharp edges on the flipper tab I softened with some fine grit sandpaper. Still, it's a darn good knife for the money. The Modus is my favorite as the ergonomics feel great in my hand. The wider blade combined with the flat grind make it a real slicer too.

9. Therom

Therom

Nov 13, 2013
    The atmos and the fraxion are both appealing to me.

Rich S likes this.
  10. Dogdrawz

Dogdrawz

Aug 15, 2016
    Is it me or does the blue colored scales version has less of a tactical look?

Therom likes this.
  11. brando555

brando555 Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 26, 2018
    Check out BladeHQ's new Kershaw Cryo. 35 bucks, 2.75" blade and it's in D2 instead of the regular 8cr13mov. It's assisted, but if that's not your thing its pretty easy to convert it to a manual.

12. Smaug

Smaug Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 30, 2003
    I considered a Kershaw Skyline. (US made) I wound up going for the less expensive Chill model.

I've been thinking of replacing it with a Spyderco flipper, but they cost 6x as much. (They're not THAT much nicer!)

TCKev likes this.
  13. Therom

Therom

Nov 13, 2013
    Anyone has tested a bestech thorn or beluga?

14. Velitrius

Velitrius

Mar 3, 2000
    That Cryo in D2 for 35 bux is pretty decent.

bryan123 and brando555 like this.
  15. mpm0097

mpm0097

Oct 21, 2018
    I don't have either of those, but I do have a Lion which I think would be similar but larger. Great action, just feels heavier than I would prefer. And China D2

16. Deadiden

Deadiden Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 3, 2018
    Atmos or Fraxion I have both. Sharp out of the box and surprisingly smooth action.

17. Tamernator

Tamernator

Nov 1, 2018
    Tangram Santa Fe
    or
    QSP Outdoor Phoenix

18. xraso

xraso

Feb 11, 2014
    it's 3.3", but the Bestech Lion has ridiculously good action.

19. Therom

Therom

Nov 13, 2013
    I hav replaces anorder for an Atmos
    I will give it a try and compare it with the skyline

Smaug and Durham68 like this.
  20. Night Rider

Night Rider

Apr 16, 2018
    Check out the Kershaw Natrix, Lightweight non assisted slim flipper with Kvt ball bearings and a sturdy but thin drop point blade for $30 bucks at BHQ or an Ontario RAT 2 liner lock for $28 bucks at BHQ. It has most of the some specs plus it's tip up or down carry and it has the lanyard hole you were looking for. Hope that's of some help to you. :poop: I almost forgot to mention the SOG AEGIS FL ! It's my GO TO EDC work knife, You can pick one up for $20 bucks at Wallymart. This blade is an honest to goodness sleeper. It's all steel so it has a bit of heft to it but feels great in my medium sized hand and has a sturdy tip up right hand deep pocket clip. It's a much better slicer and flipper compared to the other two IMO. No lanyard hole but I see room to drill one looking at mine. [​IMG]