Recommendation? 3.25-4 inch folder for going out.

DMG

Gold Member
I started this thread https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/belt-knife-question.1750365/ a little while back and am very happy with the knife I was recommended so I would like to try it again. I have way too many folders and will unload a few to fund this.

I am looking for a 3.25-4 inch folder to carry when not at work or in the woods, working in the yard, etc. etc. A clean “going out” knife for when I am dressed up a bit.

Knives I have considered:
BM Fact
CRK sebenza, insignia, etc.
A Lionsteel modern Barlow.
Spyderco Nirvana
Pena Barlow

What say you BF?

I've been carrying my plain jane 21 large sebby in crk leather sheath for many years. With its slim profile, its comfortable to be carried and the folder fits with my daily needs. The sheath do wear over time however will follow the form of the folder.

Off your list, I'm gonna say Chris Reeve Sebenza or Lionsteel Barlow.
Personally, Chris Reeve Mnandi has my vote.
GEC slip-joints are nice too without being overly dressy, much like the CRKs.
I think the Spyderco Ikuchi from Spyderco would also make a nice "going-out" knife as well.

If you go with the Sebenza, I like my Small 21 for going-out when the steak knife at a restaurant is either particularly bad
or non-existent because I think I'd look a little strange or like I'm putting on like some kind of tough guy slicing my dinner
in public with a Large 21.
I cut pizza hunks in the work truck with the Large 21 :D

I read a couple of YT videos by Nick Shabazz on the Three Rivers Manufacturing ATOM.
He's never let me down. 3.5" blade, 0.090" spine thickness, slicers like a bugger.
About 4.7" closed length. 20CV blade-steel makes this a winner, and my favorite casual EDC.
p.s. I've carried and tried many of the well-known "expensive" knives; no contest.
This knife is VERY affordable, and has a wide variety of scales available.
Nick also loved their "Neutron" model...a slightly shorter model.
I really think you'd be happy. TRM is often sold out but they renew the stock often.
Proudly made in the USA.

Two of my SGTM knives. Maybe not what you had in mind.

4NbiIhv.jpg

uw1t3U4.jpg

I started this thread https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/belt-knife-question.1750365/ a little while back and am very happy with the knife I was recommended so I would like to try it again. I have way too many folders and will unload a few to fund this.

I am looking for a 3.25-4 inch folder to carry when not at work or in the woods, working in the yard, etc. etc. A clean “going out” knife for when I am dressed up a bit.

Knives I have considered:
BM Fact
CRK sebenza, insignia, etc.
A Lionsteel modern Barlow.
Spyderco Nirvana
Pena Barlow

What say you BF?
I’d recommend any variant of the Manix 2. Although the S110V may be more of a challenge to sharpen. Whatever you decide, the only rule is that you have fun with it safely. :)

Spyderco Kapara.
Very comfortable and doesn't chew up your pocket either.

+1 to this.

It rides slim in the pocket, not too much friction, but has a longer blade than it feels like it should have, for how low profile the carry is.

The Al-Mars are always elegant, but they're just VERY expensive, for how humble the steel is.

A surprise dressy carry is the Cold Steel Code 4. So thin, short clip, but then out she comes and BAM, she's a MONSTER!

Budget option: CRKT Pilar with clip removed; pocket carry. Slim & heavy, and wow how it fits the hand!

I am partial to the large sebenza.
Timeless design, great hollow grind and good for any task, from EDC to harder use

the large inkosi is good too but I prefer the ergonomic with Micarta so it can be more expensive
But the drop point is very functional
Due to the thicker blade stock of the inkosi I prefer the sebenza for edc
But on the other hand the inkosi can take more abuse IMO

outside of CRK, here are some good knives for edc:
TRM Atom is very light and slim while having a good blade length

Monterey Bay Knives also have some good knives in this category

in the down side TRM and MBK only produce in batches in it can be months before getting your hand in one of their design

from Spyderco I would pick the Gayle Bradley 2, with some EDCi or frog lube on the blade it will not take so much patina if you don’t like that

a Massdrop Keen can also work
I have a Massdrop gent that is smaller and I like it when I am in costume because the pen style pocket clip make it very discrete

the ZT0470 is nice with its marble carbon fibre inlay but it is only 3.4’´

Back