3 in one oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does 3 in one oil work alright as lube for knives?
3in1oil.jpg

for knife lubrication, i would recommend something with very low viscosity. it should be more "liquidy", and not thick. otherwise it will gum up and attract dust more readily.

ive not used that product, but i suspect it would work.

for knife lubrication, i would recommend something with very low viscosity. it should be more "liquidy", and not thick. otherwise it will gum up and attract dust more readily.

ive not used that product, but i suspect it would work.

The 3 in one is not thick at all so it seems as it would work, thanks a lot.

it was origanally for sewing machines which are also very sensitive to build up (oil and dust) so I think you are right on track FWIW I like RemOil (by remmington) the best:)

It's good, not the best, but better by a longshot than wd40.

I used it for years, but don't now. It will lubricate and help remove rust. Back when all pocket knives had carbon steel blades I often used 3-in-One to fix gummy or corroded blade pivot areas. Back then I would use an oil stone for my hone and I used 3-in-one on that as well. The price that I payed was mess. The oil would get on me and the knife during cleaning and sharpening. It was hard to remove without a lot of hot soapy water or a solvent.

Nowadays most knives are stainless. There is less need for that cleaning aspect of the oil. I clean things with something volatile like rubbing alcohol. After that I lubricate with something odorless and clean. When possible I just use white paraffin candle wax. If I need a little more I use a tiny dab of mineral oil. I haven't owned 3-in-One in probably 20 years.

3-in-1 is just about all I use, simply because I've had a bottle of it around for about seven years. Works fine for just about everything that needs oil.

thx - cpr

All I have to do is smell 3-in-1 oil and I'm taken back to my youth. I can't begin to count how many hours I spent rubbing that stuff into baseball mitts to soften them up, and slathering it all over my various knives. Great stuff.

I recently bought some 3-in1 oil for quick lubes of knives. It worked great but there was that smell of the oil that stayed even after washing the knife (a Vic) in soap and water. That made me go back to my old reliable, sentry solutions.

I was wondering about wd40 also, so it doesn't work very good?

WD40 is something like 75% volatile (that's for the liquid in a can, the aerosol is even worse), meaning it will over time, evaporate and form a gummy varnish. It was made to displace water on non-mechanical surfaces, it just happens that it's handy in a pinch to do other things, but it doesn't really do them all that well. 3 in 1 is mostly mineral oil, and generally non volatile so it won't evaporate and form a gummy residue like WD40 will. For stuff you can get at the local supermarket it certainly works, and probably safer than most aerosol spray oils.

3-in-1 is not bad stuff, but I find BreakFree to be a better lube and protectant. It doesn't gum up or attract dust once dry.

I use 3 in 1 on some folders. It does a decent job for what I want to do. As others have mentioned it does tend to have a very long lasting smell, and guess what else; taste. I never use it on knives that might be used to prepare food. It is certainly an acquired taste!

Greg

WD40 IS a lubricant, but not a good one. It is also a solvent, and an excellent cutting fluid. It does NOT gum up in normal use-this is a myth. I have used it for 35+ years, for many things. I have seen no evidence of gumming yet.
3 in one oil is fine for knives.
Bill

That was the first oil I ever used for both guns and knives. I still have a couple of cans sitting on the shelf to be used. I tend to like RemOil better these days, but I still have that old 3 in 1 on the shelf and it gets used from many different tasks including knives.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back