1. BladeForums has ZERO TOLERANCE for extremism or calls of violence. We request your assistance dealing with this as we do not want to see the site shut down due to violent threats. Please see this thread here in Tech Support: https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/bladeforums-has-a-zero-tolerance-policy-towards-threats-of-violence-extremism-be-warned.1769537/

3" Lockface & Thumb Studs

Discussion in 'Rick Hinderer Knives' started by MODiFiEDZ, Oct 15, 2012.

1. MODiFiEDZ

MODiFiEDZ

Nov 11, 2011
    Does anyone have info on the differences between the large & small lock faces along with the "squared" or rounded thumbstuds? I know that all 3" XM's are still in the Gen 2 stage & that all new Gen 4 3.5's are coming with the rounded thumbstuds so I think the rounded studs are newer, so does that make the 3" with the rounded studs a Gen 2.5 or something? Also which lock face is newer & why was it changed? All of my 3.5" & 4" XM's have a small lockface.
    [​IMG]
    Hinderer Gen 2 3" XM-18 Hinderer by ⓂⓄⒹⓘⒻⓘⒺⒹⓏ, on Flickr
    I really like the newer rounded thumbstuds better.
    [​IMG]
    XM-18 Thumbstuds 3" by ⓂⓄⒹⓘⒻⓘⒺⒹⓏ, on Flickr

2. Jaytaylor

Jaytaylor

Feb 9, 2012
    I'm not sure about the lock face, I thought the reduced tang lock face was a more recent feature.

W.R.T. the thumb studs - no pattern really, some are rounded, some are squared. Whatever is in the parts bin at the time I suspect.

Look at the recent logo'ed XMs, noticed a few with squared thumb studs.

First page here for instance - http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/s...*-The-winners-are-217-russamurai-amp-92-IZULA

My 3" is fairly recent - has the reduced lock face and squared thumb studs.

3. Rob Orlando

Rob Orlando

Nov 16, 2009
    There has been no generational change with the 3" model, just a few tiny tweaks.

4. malakka

malakka

Oct 5, 2012
    It may be a silly question, but why no generational changes with the 3" model? Is it related to the size?

5. misterjuiceman

misterjuiceman

Sep 19, 2009
    On the second one from the left, what kind of scale is that? It looks lke metal, but I thought all of the Ti scales replaced the liner, too? Are all of these production knives?

6. Hammer

Hammer

Oct 3, 1998
    The 3" has not been in production as long as the 3 1/2".

7. misterjuiceman

misterjuiceman

Sep 19, 2009
    Did the 3" start with generation 2? I know I've seen 3" with Rick's name on the blade (I think Suz has one), but I don't know if I've ever seen a gen 1.

8. RDA

RDA

Aug 6, 2010
    There are Gen 1 and Gen 2 3" XM-18s. The Gen 1 were all custom ground with "R. HINDERER" logo on the blade (similar to the Gen 2 3.5" XM-18), the Gen 2 brought in the production grind (spanto and slicer) along with the various custom grinds and the "HINDERER" logo moved to the Ti lockside (similar to the Gen 3 3.5" XM-18).

9. Hammer

Hammer

Oct 3, 1998
    Gen 1 3" XM-18 was a custom grind blade. Gen 2 3" XM-18 was a production grind blade.

10. MODiFiEDZ

MODiFiEDZ

Nov 11, 2011
    Yes they are all production 3". The one your asking about just has 2 Ti liners on it, I just needed to put something on it real quick so I could take the pic, there's only 1 body screw holding it together there.

Most of the newer 3" have the rounded studs so hopefully they stick with those & rule out the squared style, it just feels better when using the thumbstuds to open, also think it looks better. Thanks guys

11. RubiconSS

RubiconSS

Jan 12, 2011
    Beautiful pieces. Love Orange and Blue.....Together they are "snappy"

12. misterjuiceman

misterjuiceman

Sep 19, 2009
    I was so confused! I was thinking that I never knew Rick made titanium scales that didn't also replace the liner. So why is there an extra liner floating around? haha

13. Thrill

Thrill

Sep 9, 2010
    That orange and blue is sweet. Let me know if u wanto part with it:).

14. TinyCrumb

TinyCrumb

Aug 15, 2011
    Mike, just to clarify though, there are custom Gen 2 3" XM-18s. Not *all* of them are production grinds. But all Gen 1 3" XM-18s are custom. I know you know all of that but I think the wording in your post made it sound like all Gen 2 3"ers are production.

15. RDA

RDA

Aug 6, 2010
    Correct, as I stated in my post just above Mike's post:

http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/s...kface-amp-Thumb-Studs?p=11396417#post11396417

16. Lone_Wolfe

Lone_Wolfe Dazed and Confused Platinum Member

May 3, 2011
    Can you post a pic of the large and small lockfaces beside each other from the side? Thanks

17. Wood & Steel

Wood & Steel

Nov 25, 2012
    I 've never come across any information on the treatment of the lock bar face on the XM18's. I'd like to know what the 3" XM18 treatment/interface is. I've got one coming in the mail & thought I'd get ahead of it a bit. Thanks in advance.
    B.

18. misterjuiceman

misterjuiceman

Sep 19, 2009
    I'm pretty sure all of the XM-18s are carbidized; I don't know if that answers your question.

19. Wood & Steel

Wood & Steel

Nov 25, 2012
    Thanks. Yes that's basically what I was hoping to hear. Where did you get this info? I would have expected it to be included in more discussions & reviews & perhaps even on the website. Can't find anything on the pivot either.
    B.

20. Hammer

Hammer

Oct 3, 1998
    misterjuiceman is correct concerning the carbidized lockface on all of Rick's knives. The pivots are heat treated stainless steel.