3 Most Dangerous Accidents Using Angle Grinders

Hola,
I have seen plenty of derogatory comments directed at people who admit to using angle grinders here on the forums, and yet I know plenty of people here still use them. I use them, because they work and they work well. But, like any piece of equipment found in a shop, angle grinders can be dangerous if not taken care of and used properly.

I just wanted to share a good little article I found about some of the most common safety hazards, and some potential reasons these hazard could arise. In addition, the article suggests ways to combat these hazards. Most of their numbers are backed by outside sources.

In 2008, nearly 25,000 were injured nationwide while using angle grinders (U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission). The majority of these injuries occur from an abrasive blade shattering, diamond-blade segment loss, or the angle grinder kicking back. Any one of these scenarios is potentially fatal, with a high percentage of non-fatal injuries requiring hospitalization. Let’s take a closer look at each of these individually. While nothing is one-hundred percent preventable, there are steps that can be taken to drastically reduce the possibility of injury.

Abrasive blade shattering

An incredibly dangerous occurrence, the easiest way to prevent this from happening is simply not use these silicon-carbide blades, often referred to as throwaway blades. Silicon-carbide blades are 6.3 times more likely to end in death than a diamond-blade should they shatter. If it’s not curtains, the chances the injury will be serious enough to require hospitalization is 13 times greater. Opt instead for a diamond blade.

If you still choose to run an abrasive, make sure the blade being used has not been damaged (cracking, chipping, exposure to water, etc.). You should never reuse the same blade on different days. It is important to be positive you are not running the blade at a higher RPM than recommended, and never tilt the saw to the left or right while cutting. Pay very close attention while using these blades.

Diamond-blade segment loss

Here a far less dangerous product but none the less still deadly. Diamond blade breakage is far less common than an abrasive blade shattering, diamond-blades can lose a section causing injury as well and the results are extremely deadly. Sixty percent of the time a section of diamond-blade broke off and struck an operator, death ensued (OSHA). The remaining 40% caused serious injuries requiring hospitalization.

The best way to minimize these accidents is to use a blade with a strong weld, or no weld at all. These are called Safety Blades (http://projectvbp.com/documents/index.html). This is a process by which the diamond sections are attached to the steel core without the need for a weld. Since the main reasons for segment loss are defective welds, or weakened welds due to overheating, this type of blade virtually eliminates the chances this can occur.

Grinder kicking back

Occupational Safety and Hazards Administration (OSHA) statistics show a 20% fatality rate for injuries resulting from grinder or saw kickbacks. The other 80% of injuries were serious enough to require hospitalization.

One of the main causes of injuries from kick back is operator fatigue. When the operator becomes tired, they generally stand closer to the blade, trying to use their body weight for stability. Another reason is an incorrect blade for the task. The cut begins to take too long, heating up the blade, and a tired operator starts leaning closer. When the overheated blade begins to wobble it will kick back, and the proximity of the operator means a higher risk of injury.

Angle grinders can be one of the most useful tools, but their safety drawbacks need to be addressed and taken into account. A good tool is one that allows you to go home at night in one piece. Click here for more tips on angle grinder safety.

The article in its entirety. http://www.nationalnewstoday.com/in...ive-blades-diamond-blades-that-break-kill.php

The biggest favor you can do yourself in my opinion is switch to a diamond blade. I've been fighting fire for about three years now, and some neighboring departments still have K12 saws (big ole saws with 12-14 inch blades) that still have abrasive blades on them... no thanks. Mine switched to diamond years ago. The dangers of abrasive blade shattering has been well documented, so I sure don't want a 14 incher to go. :p

Can't say I've responded to any emergencies caused by angle grinders, but I have been to two chainsaw kickback calls which is related in the sense of a tool kicking off of something else.

Have fun. :thumbup:

Wow! It sounds like liberals should worry more about these then about guns. Thanks for the tip on the diamond blades.

n2s

Wow! It sounds like liberals should worry more about these then about guns. Thanks for the tip on the diamond blades.

n2s

really my only intention here was to make people aware of the risks involved and not browbeat anyone on here for doing whatever it is they do. I've thrown away who knows how many abrasive angle grinder blades... and here I sit. And that's not when I am on my motorcycle, SCUBA diving, free diving, sky diving, rock climbing, or any of my other hobbies. :p Like anything else, it's up to the individual to weigh the pros and cons. :thumbup:

I work in a welding/heavy fabrication shop for a piledriving company and I use a grinder most of the day. They are very dangerous and should not be provoked :) We laugh about it since were wearing leather coats, welding gloves and a ton of safety gear, but when a grinder gets caught in someones coat sleeve it's bad. It would do MASSIVE damage if he was only wearing a denim shirt or just a t shirt...they are great tools, but for gods sake wear...
-glasses (preferably a clear face shield)
-ear plugs or other hearing protection
-LEATHER gloves, the mechanics gloves will not stop any grinding disc (firsthand experience), and sparks will melt them :(
-Long sleeves, non meltable material
-pants man :D ...if you have to wear shorts, get/make a long denim or canvas apron, all the sparks will land on your thighs!

Be safe and think about where your sparks are going too, they can really burn the person near you, or set things on fire.
Hope this helps a little.

Last edited:
I'll look into the diamond disc. I have 4 right angle grinders sitting on my welding and fabrication table. I have never had a disc come apart on me but that only means I have been fortunate up until now.
Do you have a brand that you have used and would recommend that I can get in 6 inch diameter sizes?

Fred

Don't take off the factory guard.
Never hold a work piece that you're grinding on.
I got casual for a second earlier this year and had to get part of a finger reattached. I know, it was just dumb, but if you look at the times YOU'VE been hurt, they probably all fall under that category.

I've got a new walmart black and decker special.

They now make the guard ride a slot with spring pressure so you can swivel it around depending on what side of the disc you need to work on.

It's a very nice feature and kept me from yanking and tossing the guard.

I am a welder and use my angle grinder on a daily basis. Yes they are dangerous but make stock removal quick and easy. One rule of thumb is always have the sparks coming at you so if the grinder gets caught it will shoot away from you. And yes please wear proper safety attire, as I have had a small piece of metal embedded in my eye and it "rusted' in my eye and hurt very much so after it was removed!! I also had my grinder catch and break my finger, so be smart with them!

I've got a 3, maybe 4 year old B&D angle grinder that I absolutely love, and I've been using them for almost 7 years now. I've had a cutting disc rip apart on me once, and fortunately none of the shards hit me. I found all the bigger pieces and it looked like the problem was a chip in the edge that I noticed before but thought wouldn't be a problem. You can bet that afterwards I inspected the disc every sigle time before use. A tool of incredible value to those who don't have the time to forge a blank, and like every other tool: if you aren't patient, you'll end up as one (can't remember who said it first, but thought is was clever.)

Also, do any of you know if these diamond discs come in 4.5" diameter? if they do, I will keep an eye out for them.

I know Dewalt makes both continuous cutting and segmented 4.5 inch diamond blades with a 7/8 arbor. Really not bad prices since I think Amazon has them for a little over $20. Our k12 blades cost like $230 each.

A 60% fatality rate for diamond blades? I don't even think firearms have anywhere near that level. I know its not really a valid comparison but still that's insane. Think the metal cutting band saw just became the next purchase I need to make.

By their math, I should be dead by now, and I've only been using one for about a year.

What confuses me about the abrasive blade part is that is refers to silicon carbide. Every disc I have seen up to this point has been aluminum oxide. What's the deal there? How do the AO discs compare to the SC as far as reliability, strength, etc?

I have been using angle grinders since I was a teen, and I'm now 42. I have never had a disc shatter on me. Don't get me wrong, this is a tool that can quickly maim or kill, but the problem is usually operator related. You have to be able to feel how the abrasive is cutting. You have to keep it straight or it will bind. Inspect the disc before you turn on the grinder. I wouldn't let my teen son use one, as he is too careless to pay attention to what the feedback from the tool is. Once you get the feel, it is unlikely to have random shatterings.

A 3 inch cutoff wheel attachment for an air compressor is much better than an angle grinder IMO. It is much easier to control and you can make more precise cuts.

A 3 inch cutoff wheel attachment for an air compressor is much better than an angle grinder IMO. It is much easier to control and you can make more precise cuts.

Very few people have the air supply CFM that it takes to run one of those.

I can run an angle grinder on electricity flat out for hours on end until I'm worn out.

My air supply will last about a minute.

Aside from the compressor cut off wheel, is there something in the middle that has less potential for catastrophic injury? Like a dremel on steroids?

I may have the wrong idea here, but how many of you "CUT" bars of steel with an angle grinder, and how many "BEVEL" blades with one?

I have used one from time to time to knock off the excess steel on the bevel of a sword of machete blade. For that I use the thick one sided grinding wheels. I can not imaging using a thin blade to cut bar stock or preform blades safely.

I do have a big chop saw with a 12" cut-off blade made for cutting bar stock....but haven't used it in years, because a band saw is much easier to use.

I have a bandsaw... but I hate to admit I love my angle grinder..... I don't know if it was the long period I used an angle grinder prior to having it or the years I used one professionally in my former life, but I am faster with it. I can cut out a blank with cutoff wheels, change to a grinding disk and shape it up, and then even knock down excess material from any place that needs it. I know they are dangerous, but I dress like iron man when I am using it, even good hearing protection. I would say I can get it 75-80% there honestly... I guess I justify it in the end because cutoff wheels and grinding wheels are less than a buck a piece for the most part, and my norton blaze belts are not. I figure any wear I can save is worth it.
That said, it doesn't take much at all to 'whoops' beyond repair, and I never go very far into my bevels with it. I also keep it cool by dipping it frequently.
Its one of those things I know I shouldn't do, but do it anyway I guess...

Back