$.30 Apple vs. Zt562cf

Discussion in 'General Knife Discussion' started by Jurgs18, Mar 25, 2017.

1. Jurgs18

Jurgs18

Nov 17, 2014
    A while ago a bit of apple juice must have gotten into the pivot area of my zt562cf. The result was knife that would not flip open except for lots of wrist. Typically it would open 1/4 to 1/2 way. Now I took it apart and cleaned it up. It is back to its stellar self... This knife is so excellent yet it succumbed to a $.30 Apple. Maybe time to consider a new standard when considering a knife? F&f, blade steel, Apple resistance?

2. jimmyd1982

jimmyd1982

Mar 23, 2011
    .......so you want a self cleaning knife? ZT's are plenty "apple resistant" as long as you rinse them off....

3. McFeeli

McFeeli

Feb 13, 2017
    If you go about putting apple juice in and around the pivot of just about every folding knife out there I bet you'll realize that the your ZT handled that situation a lot better than most would. That would be like me complaining about how my ZT collects pocket lint. It happens. All it takes is a little maintenance to keep it working the way they're designed to.

4. AJR576

AJR576

Feb 15, 2014
    Did you see what happened to the guy that cut a banana with his knife?

5. Megawatt308

Megawatt308

Dec 15, 2013
    It was simple enough to spill apple juice on it. Did you even try a water rinse for zero cents?

6. ATJ999

ATJ999 Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 12, 2013
    that has been the best posts/thread on here. Laughing my a$$ off reading that one!!

7. AJR576

AJR576

Feb 15, 2014
    Absolutely, LMAO...

8. BrandoSpoke

BrandoSpoke

Mar 14, 2017
    I saw that but i think this is a bit different. The banana guy tried to blame his knife on him cutting himself. This guy just expected that his knife would hold up a bit better than it did so I'm gonna cut him some slack

9. Jurgs18

Jurgs18

Nov 17, 2014
    Lol 4 negative responses (not necessarily overtly negative, but negative in a passive aggressive I am annoyed at you and smarter than you sort of way). Well 3.5 because I never looked into the banana thing but I suspect that on the balance of positive and negatives, it was negative. No complaints about the knife. With the addition of the apple juice which I neglected to rinse off it performed just as I expected it would. Taking it apart and cleaning it allowed me to appreciate the excellent quality of each of the piece. The ease in which it came apart, cleaned up, then performed if as good as new gave me a renewed appreciation with this knife. And even if it never flicked open properly again it would not diminish the fact that the knife carries well in my pocket, feels good in my hand, and cuts like a laser...

10. shinyedges

shinyedges Unfaltering Love & Undeviating Will Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Gold Member

Jun 5, 2012
    Dump any liquid that has sugar in a pivot and let it dry and see what happens. The sealed pivot on g&g hawk I believe it is called would be fine, that's the only knife I can think of.

All we need is a guy to bring up grapes and a knife issue and we have the fruit of the loom crew.

11. ATJ999

ATJ999 Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 12, 2013
    We have a lot of fruit on our farm and about every knife I have will gum up when the juice gets in the pivot. Sometimes I can get away with soaking it in water a few minutes, then using an air compressor and blow gun to clear it out. A vacuum might work as well. Other than that, taking it apart and cleaning is the best thing to do. Fixed blades are much easier for anything involving a sticky mess. If you use a folder, bushings would be a little better. With fixed blades, I just soap it up and scrub with a sponge, handle n all, then let dry. very easy with fixed blades!

12. BrandoSpoke

BrandoSpoke

Mar 14, 2017
    In general, I don't use folders for food prep and hunting b/c the pivot gets all messed up. If you do use it for food prep, you should take it apart every time and clean it so that doesn't happen

13. Sosa

Sosa

Feb 6, 2014
    Try cutting a frozen apple with a 600 cent opinel.

14. 3fifty7

3fifty7 Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 24, 2016
    Growing up on a sugar cane farm and pealing more stalks than I care to count over the years,with every knife I've carried, rinse it and move along.

Sent via telegraph by the same fingers I use to sip whiskey

15. 3fifty7

3fifty7 Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 24, 2016
    HaHaHaHa

Sent via telegraph by the same fingers I use to sip whiskey

16. McFeeli

McFeeli

Feb 13, 2017
    You didn't say in your original post about how you "appreciated the quality", you just complained about how getting some apple juice in your ZT screwed up the action.

17. sabre cat

sabre cat Basic Member Basic Member

Jul 4, 2014
    It's not just ZT. I have a BM grip I have to take down because of food.

18. Grandmaster

Grandmaster Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 14, 2015
    Maybe it has to do with the bearings, I prefer PB or Teflon washers, I think it would handle gunk better

19. Herlock

Herlock

May 13, 2015
    Hi. Around 40% of my EDC folders use revolves around food prep of sorts, from peeling fruits and preparing breakfasts/lunches at the office to the sandwich cutting and occasional grilling of sausages, steaks or trout out on the trails. Food juices are quite nasty to all bearings and even washers, if let unclean. Normally I solve the issue by cleaning the whole knife under running hot water and blowing them dry with compressed air. Then, let's say once every two/three months, I disassemble most of them for a complete cleaning and lube. My learning is it's much better to clean them immediately after use, this can, most of the times, avoid to disassemble them completely. Anyway, besides the real "difficult" ones, I enjoy to disassemble and clean my folders, same as for guns, it's one of the typical activities in the man's cave :D.

20. cEdge

cEdge

Apr 14, 2011
    The 0562 is a fantastic knife with an awesome company behind it. If your ZT has an issue, contact ZT''s customer service and have a set of bearings sent out. I love my 0562. Its action is super smooth. If yours isn't, replace the bearing cage.