300 Series History 1966 to 1990

Over the last couple of weeks I have thrown out some history on different threads as requested. But it is spread out and would be hard to find. I pulled that info together in this thread so that it would be easier to locate for someone doing a forum search. This info will 'help' figure out your Buck black sawcut slipjoint folding knife if it was made between 1966 and 1990.

First things first.
To be straight up accurate, Bucks first slipjoint was the 117, back in the lean-to shop days, they took surplus war lifeboat knifes and forged new clip blades to go into the handles. These are few, rare and over priced (for my pocket book anyway). Watch out for fakes....(I can only post so many photos so skipping this one)

Modern Slipjoint Production
Buck wanted to get in the slipjoint market but had no facilities to produce the knives. So it contracted out it's first slipjoint to Schrade Knives of New York beginning in 1966. Schrade produced what would later be considered a 301 sized stockman. It was not marked with a model number. This knife was a three bladed stockman with clip and sheepsfoot blade on same end and spey blade on the opposite. It can quickly be indentified by the deep grooved bolsters, slightly S shaped body, 3 brass rivet on the black sawcut Delrin* scale with the Clip blade only stamped with BUCK, Made In U.S.A. Also notice the relief grind on the top of the clip blade extends well over the finger nail groove. *http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polyoxymethylene_plastic
GroovedBolster.jpg

This is the first and only model made with grooved bolsters. Schrade went on to make two additional 301 sized models and two 303 sized stockmen.

In the photo below the identification is similar for both sized models and is represented by the larger 301 sized knife.
Left to right: First model with grooved bolster call this Version 1, next is the face of Version 2, Version 2 Schrades came in variation 1 which had NO marks on the reverse tangs of the secondary blades and variation 2 which had BUCK stamped on the reverse tang of the sheepsfoot and spey blades.
301SchradeGroup.jpg

The face markings of Version 2 knives were the same. But notice that there is NO grooved bolsters.

Buck carried these well fit and finished knives for over 6 years, but a weakness became apparent and began to cost Buck time and money.
The Schrade Bucks were designed with a 'hidden pivot pin'. The ends of the blade pivot pins are not visible on the surface of the bolster. They have flat, nail like heads that are fitted into key type slots in the brass liners when the knife is assembled.
Schrade-2.jpg

DSCF11222-1.jpg

With hard and heavy use both the pin and the brass liner key-hole would fail. This can readily be seen by blades that bend pass the normal horizontal when open.
IMG_1631-1.jpg

With Bucks forever warranty this led to lots of work for the repair department

In 1971 it was decided that the slipjoint contract would be move to Camillus Knife of New York and their designers used a exposed pivot pin on the bolsters which made blade repair and replacement easier. The Camillus version of the Buck slipjoint was straighter in form, had ends less rounded, gave the appearence of deep finger nic grooves and the first models had small flat scale rivets. The black sawcut scales with Bucks knife, bolt and hammer escutcheon continued.
301SchCam.jpg

A few Scharde made knives continued to be issued till the supply dried up later in 1971. As the transition to Camillus proceded additonal models were added. By the time full Camillus production was under way Buck was offering a 301,303,309 and 305 sized models.
Markings were similar and are represented by the 301s listed and pictured below.
Left to right:
1971, Scale rivets, Made in USA on tang, NO model number on tang, two versions - single brass scale liners and double brass liners on one side.

1971, Scale rivet, Made in USA on tang, MODEL number on reverse tang, one version - single brass scale liners

1971 - 1974, NO scale rivets, Made in USA on tang, MODEL number on revers tang, one version - single brass scale liner

1974 - 1985, No scale rivets, BUCK, 301,USA on front tang, nothing on reverse, two versions - single brass scale liners and two liners on one side.

Example of double brass liners under one scale on end. The use of extra scale liners is to 'fine tune' the 'crinking' or bend in the blade so they do not rub when folded into the blade well. (i.e. three blades, only two springs). As an example the last two knives on right show two odd-balls that issued during this era, Winchester contracted to have their name on escutcheon and because the 319 and 301 shared blades some mis-matches occurred. In this poor photo you can barely see 319 stamped in place of 301 on the tang. But sheepsfoot and spey blade in knife well, missing is leather punch to make it a real 319. The next knives in timeline after these begin actual Buck made models.
Quick301.jpg

Camillus produced additional models and its relationship with Buck continued even up to the closing of factory in the mid 2000s. But Buck was making decisions which would set the course for the future.

Buck builds a slipjoint production line and begins to issue there own made models late in 1985. Buck takes over the production of the most popular models of their slipjoint knives, the 301,303,309 and 305. With the remaining models continued to be made by the Camillus factory.
Buck began by marking their knives with a date code stamp following the model number on the tang. They issued their new knives with improved 425m steel. http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=716179
A new excutcheon plate replaced the traditional knife, bolt and hammer. The new plate simply said BUCK in capital letters. A few knives were produced in late 1985 and did not receive date code stamps, but these are rare. Between 1986 and 1988 these version of the four Buck models were heavily produced. This era was consistent and only the date code changes yearly over this period.
Represented here by photo of model 303s.
IMG_1642-1-1.jpg

In 1989 after continued outcries over the escutcheon change from the knife, bolt and hammer Buck went back to the historic symbol. The newer BUCK escutcheon was also prone to have the ink quickly rub off leaving only a shallow indention of BUCK.
IMG_1643-1-1-1.jpg

In late 1989 Buck designers were busy fine tuning the four models they produced. For the 1990 issue, blade steel was changed to 420HC, the knife,bolt and hammer settled in as the escutcheon plate of choice and the 303 was made with three stainless steel springs, one for each blade. Other changes were on the way in the near future. Here is the historical line-up of the 303, starting top left down and then top right down. 1966 - 1990.
DSCF03382.jpg

After 1989 things get complicated with issues of special scale material, blade markings and changes in materials to all stainless steel occurr. That history will be written in the future.....you forumites can at least appreciate that I now am in trouble with BCCI as this posting could have been written as a newsletter article.....and may yet be.....good luck on you IDs.
300Bucks

Last edited:
Thanks 300Bucks, Great info... you should write a book... ITE ... :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

Thanks for sharing your great info 300.Just wondering in the early 1900s did Hoyt Buck ever make any horse shoeing Tools.I know it's off subject but thought you may know.

I am dumb, but good question. That will have to discussed with and by Joe Houser. He could at least know WHO might know. I would be sure he would have made his own, but not sure what he might have made for sale. Click on his name and send message, but expect a few days to pass before he answers.
ch

The first BUCK 4" stockman I ever saw was in the RAMROD GUNSHOP in New Castle IN around 1966 if memory serves. They had a very nice selection of BUCK knives and were quite excited about being one of the first shops to have the brand new BUCK pocketknives for sale. The very first one I looked at had a main clip blade of a most familier profile and markings, 8OT. I took my knife from my pocket, a 4" SCHRADE OLD TIMER and yes sirreee they were identical blades !!! I should have bought it but the BUCK 119 had my eye and there were funds for one knife; I still have and use the BUCK 119 SPECIAL after all these years.
But in those days we looked at things differently ; whatinthe'ell would I ever want a BUCK knife with a SCHRADE blade in it for...I mean really !!!

Thanks,your certainly not dumb!I learn a lot from you and others on the forum and your the go to guy when it comes to 300s.I have to admit you are the one that's got me interested in 300s now.Sorry for taking it off topic.

Wow, excellent info on the 300's! Thanks for all the time you invested and thanks for sharing it with us!

By the way, Hoyt Buck never advertised a horse shoeing tool but then he was known to make whatever a customer requested so it is possible.

Thank you again, I know I have been kind of a pain with the 300's and all but I needed this info, You did a great job. How about taking on the 5 and 700" next?

LOL LOL

Thank you 300 for all the effort, research and time you put into giving us the history on this series . Such a studious gent . DM

Just wanted to say THANK YOU so much for the time spent teaching us forum readers about the 300 series knives. You don't know how much your time and knowledge is appreciated. Keep on keeping on.

Nice job! What do you consider the rarest and/or most valuable in the early 300 series?? If I'm at a yard sale next week I don't want to pass up something great just because it's not a 112..

C,
I do not have numbers produced on record. But, either Scharde made or Camillus made early black sawcut models with no model number on reverse tang seem the hardest to find. Especially in the Schrade. That would go for either 301 or 303.

If there were a 303 elk antler scale LE dated in 1988( made by Buck), I might jump over a yard sale table and wrestle a concrete worker for it. (Maybe two, but not three)
I have 301s LE but have only one 303 and it looks like it has one side replaced with regular stag...Salesman sample ?. Also a pre 1985, Camillus, in regular stag scale.....lots of folks don't like elk because it is less ridged than stag but everyone to their own......
It looks as if the early stag LE will have two SS scale rivet and hidden spring rivet and the Elk LE will have only the brass spring rivet showing.

Elk, some elk ages with time and oil to a green/yellow color I like but most don't. Some say it is more prone to crack than stag.
ElkScale.jpg

Stag, LE
Stag301.jpg

Craig H./300

Last edited:
Craig,
Thanks, that is exactly the info I was needing on the 303's.

This is a great thread wonder how we could keep it up at the top like the 110/112 info? I just picked up a 301 Stockman '81 w/ a winchester shield, from what I understand these are pretty hard to find as well. I'll post pics in another thread.

Last edited:
Ok
I know this is getting to be a much talked about subject, But I took my Schrade contracted Buck Stockman to Leroy Remer to see if he might be able to reserect the dead. first I have to say Leroy is a really Great guy. Not much could be done with my 301 but what was done was (1) Leroy cleaned up the blades and (2) set a new rocker rivit in place. (3)We found a set of jigged scales that will be worked to fit. One day this knife will live again. When it does I'll post pics and I owe it to Leroy Remer.

Code:
Ok
I know this is getting to be a much talked about subject, But I took my Schrade contracted Buck Stockman to Leroy Remer to see if he might be able to reserect the dead. first I have to say Leroy is a really Great guy. Not much could be done with my 301 but what was done was (1) Leroy cleaned up the blades and (2) set a new rocker rivit in place. (3)We found a set of jigged scales that will be worked to fit. One day this knife will live again. When it does I'll post pics and I owe it to Leroy Remer.

Cool, Leroy does great work... Can't wait to see what he does to your knife (301)... ITE

C,
I do not have numbers produced on record. But, either Scharde made or Camillus made early black sawcut models with no model number on reverse tang seem the hardest to find. Especially in the Schrade. That would go for either 301 or 303.

If there were a 303 elk antler scale LE dated in 1988( made by Buck), I might jump over a yard sale table and wrestle a concrete worker for it. (Maybe two, but not three)
I have 301s LE but have only one 303 and it looks like it has one side replaced with regular stag...Salesman sample ?. Also a pre 1985, Camillus, in regular stag scale.....lots of folks don't like elk because it is less ridged than stag but everyone to their own......
It looks as if the early stag LE will have two SS scale rivet and hidden spring rivet and the Elk LE will have only the brass spring rivet showing.

Elk, some elk ages with time and oil to a green/yellow color I like but most don't. Some say it is more prone to crack than stag.
ElkScale.jpg

Stag, LE
Stag301.jpg

Craig H./300

Great info, and nice pics like always... Nice knives, Craig ... We all like Stag and Elk handle knives... ITE

Back