334 Large Trapper vs 317

yep. I have a couple case ones and Buck ones. I had Makael make me a sheath for the Buck 317. thats how I carry it. much like a 110.

back springs on mine are strong so I use them sometimes. I like these bigger ones myself and prefer the 317 and 334 size and blades to other traditional slipjoint models.

Nice one Mike! Is it a family heirloom knife?

AFAIK, All capital letters KA-BAR is from before 1952.

I think the USA underneath makes it 1930 to 1940. G gunsil would know for sure.
Yes, my uncle passed away a couple years ago and my aunt gifted a couple knives. This was one of them. Its suprisingly in good working order. I think the scales were replaced but heck who knows from back then. Thank you for the added dating info. I wasnt sure how to date it. Maybe G gunsil will pop in here.

Hi Makael, the handle covers were definitely replaced. Many KA-BAR knives of that era originally had jigged pattern black plastic handles. The KA-BAR over USA mark was used between 1947 or 1948 and 1952, I have not yet been able to determine if it was 1947 or 1948, have not yet found any 1947 catalogs or brochures. The previous mark was KA-BAR over Olean NY and that mark ran from 1943- 1946 or 1947, the following mark was Kabar (italicized letters) which began when the company changed it's name to KA-BAR Inc from Union Cutlery Co in 1952.

After a great thread by David I caught 'Trapper Fever' and ended up with 3 of them..but not one Buck version. Gifted one to my Son and used the other 2 for about a year. One had such strong back springs it was slightly dangerous with worsening Carpal tunnel in my good hand. I really like the blade styles and if you only had one knife it would serve well.

Hi Makael, the handle covers were definitely replaced. Many KA-BAR knives of that era originally had jigged pattern black plastic handles. The KA-BAR over USA mark was used between 1947 or 1948 and 1952, I have not yet been able to determine if it was 1947 or 1948, have not yet found any 1947 catalogs or brochures. The previous mark was KA-BAR over Olean NY and that mark ran from 1943- 1946 or 1947, the following mark was Kabar (italicized letters) which began when the company changed it's name to KA-BAR Inc from Union Cutlery Co in 1952.
Great info. Thank you!

This thread reminded me that I wanted to try to find more of these 2 blade folding hunters. I still haven’t found a Buck 317, but this Camillus arrived in my mailbox today. It’s a handful.

That Camillus #26 Big Jack is the same as the Buck 317 except for the slant on the ends of the bolsters and, in your case, the handle material. I agree that it is a big knife.

Bert

In today’s mail this Schrade. I have 5 different ones in my possession. I’d like to find a Case version. Then I’ll get some better pictures and make comparisons. I’ll start another thread when I do and see if we can’t figure out who was making them for who, and who made their own.

More importantly, I’ll figure out which is my favorite.

UPDATED GROUP SHOT 4/1/24
view

Last edited:
That’s a great list. 👍🏻. The only one I see missing is the Craftsman branded one made by Camillus.

I just won a Chicago Cutlery one for $50. Pretty neat variant.

I was surprised I could not find a Marbles USA made one from back in the day. Anyone know if they made one?

I don’t plan on getting any of the foreign ones.

Last edited:
Reactions: plb
That’s a great list. 👍🏻. The only one I see missing is the Craftsman branded one made by Camillus.

I just won a Chicago Cutlery one for $50. Pretty neat variant.

I was surprised I could not find a Marbles USA made one from back in the day. Anyone know if they made one?

I don’t plan on getting any of the foreign ones.
Thanks Eveled. The Craftsman 95026 American Eagle Series does indeed fit the bill. It has been duly noted and added to the list. However, it may be up for debate who the OEM was. All Camillus 26's and Buck 317's have easily seen through-the-bolster pivot pins. The examples I've seen of the Craftsman have no detectable pivot pins, which makes me think Schrade or Imperial made them - with their hidden pivot Swinden key system.

Here's some good info. from the Traditional Folders and Fixed Blade forum: https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/slipjoint-folding-hunter-s.1716302/

USA made:
Buck 317 (made by Camillus)
Camillus 26
Canal Street Cutlery
Case 65 pattern
Chicago Cutlery P19 (made by Schrade)
Colonel Coon
Craftsman 95026, 95091
Imperial 4625, 4624, 4622, 4621,
John Primble Belknap HDW & MFG 7007
Ka-Bar USA, 1184, 1185
Kinfolks 6292
Moore Maker 5239FH
Norm Thompson (made by Western)
Queen #39

Schrade 25OT
Schrade + 227UH
Schrade Walden 225H
Ulster
Western 062

Foreign made:
American Knife Co Germany Sabre Solingen 212
Boker
Coast Seki Japan
Colt CT252
Edge - Solingen Germany
Frost Ocoee River various models
German Bull various models
Hen and Rooster various models
Marbles various models
Monarch 2212 Japan
Parker And Son Japan
Rough Rider various models
Solingen Cutlery B. Svoboda Germany

Last edited:
Thanks P plb That is a great thread, I somehow missed. Good point about the lack of pins on the Craftsman knives.

According to the list there were 8 American manufacturers. But I’m not sure Schrade imperial and Ulster should be counted separately. So definitely not 1 manufacturer making if for everyone else. Schrade seems to be the one that made the most for everyone else not Camillus. Looks like Camillus only contracted to Buck
My latest 2 a Case and a Chicago Cutlery.

Last edited:
QLmfpCR.jpeg

This is the best picture I have of this Craftsman and its definitely almost positive these were made by Schrade. This one I have is odd the blades are stainless but the backsprings are not. Are the other ones similar?

Back