#35 Beer and Sausage Bar Tool Knife

Very cool old vintage advert for this knife up on eBay for $3 now. Would probably pair well with someone's M&G 35!

vx1RLek.jpg

This thread seems to be the de facto #35 thread for 2020 - despite the specific title. I love the #35 pattern and always kick myself for not getting more of the Churchill variants in 2017. However, I did get one in Ebony and had the previous year's forum knife already. I've been able to add a couple of the M&G Trappers to the mix and now I have a rather modest, albeit handsome, assortment.

These M&G knives are truly something special. I love rat tail bolsters, it provides a pleasingly tactile grip when using the knife and it looks darned good as well. That, paired with a classic etch, useful blades, handsome cover options, and a bowtie shield, these make for an excellent package.

QK2Kx6y.jpg

tTkAuFK.jpg
M&G was working with GEC in late 2019 on this SFO knife. GEC promised them before the shutdown and the SFO news. Bill Howard kept his promise to M&G.

*Ridiculously long post alert* Skip to the end for purdy pitchers. :)

I have to say, I’m as satisfied with this crazy thing as any GEC I’ve ever owned. Yes, that’s a pretty bold statement. My first TC was especially thrilling. As was the 2017 Forum TC, as well as my beloved 77 micarta 2 blade. I can easily say I don’t have anything like the B&S!

I came to terms with my love of micarta several years ago. I mean, I love ironwood and other nicely grained woods as much or more than anyone. I’ve often said ironwood is my love language. But for a user, I go back to micarta over and over again. Not to take away from its own unique beauty either. GEC’s micarta calls to me on many models. I just really enjoy it.

I’m sort of late to the party here, but I’ll say all the observations already noted hold true with my example as well. They really shoehorned these blades in. There will be some wear-in to the squeeze, as they are rubbed right out of the tube. Doesn’t bother me either.

The comb works really well on my COVID-enhanced, extra full and fluffy beard.:) I don’t think I’ve actually combed my beard more than a couple times before as I usually keep it trimmed a little shorter.

Lastly, on this especially verbose post, I just want to say that this forum rocks. I really intended to secure this model in a pre-order. Then life kicked me in the rump with the busiest couple of months I can ever remember between work and some health issues my wife has been dealing with. So I am especially thankful to A akaMatt for reaching out to me with a great trade we arranged. This isn’t the first time the forumites have come through for me, but it impresses me every time. You guys rock!

AdESiNi.jpg

Vce3Jvt.jpg

Ub1L22l.jpg

I have to say, I’m as satisfied with this crazy thing as any GEC I’ve ever owned. Yes, that’s a pretty bold statement. My first TC was especially thrilling. As was the 2017 Forum TC, as well as my beloved 77 micarta 2 blade. I can easily say I don’t have anything like the B&S!

I came to terms with my love of micarta several years ago. I mean, I love ironwood and other nicely grained woods as much or more than anyone. I’ve often said ironwood is my love language. But for a user, I go back to micarta over and over again. Not to take away from its own unique beauty either. GEC’s micarta calls to me on many models. I just really enjoy it.

I’m sort of late to the party here, but I’ll say all the observations already noted hold true with my example as well. They really shoehorned these blades in. There will be some wear-in to the squeeze, as they are rubbed right out of the tube. Doesn’t bother me either.

The comb works really well on my COVID-enhanced, extra full and fluffy beard.:) I don’t think I’ve actually combed my beard more than a couple times before as I usually keep it trimmed a little shorter.

Lastly, on this especially verbose post, I just want to say that this forum rocks. I really intended to secure this model in a pre-order. Then life kicked me in the rump with the busiest couple of months I can ever remember between work and some health issues my wife has been dealing with. So I am especially thankful to A akaMatt for reaching out to me with a great trade we arranged. This isn’t the first time the forumites have come through for me, but it impresses me every time. You guys rock!

AdESiNi.jpg

Vce3Jvt.jpg

Ub1L22l.jpg
Awesome, Mark... glad to hear you like it! Hope you're able to give all of those tools some proper use soon!

AdESiNi.jpg

Vce3Jvt.jpg

Ub1L22l.jpg
Great post Mark (and knife) and good karma to you and Matt:cool::cool::cool:

These sure look nice, but does anyone else feel like the build quality is quite far below what’s come out in the past? I’m sat here comparing the pull, blade play, gapping, etc. with other runs I have from last year namely the 93, 92, 86, etc. I find that these just ‘feel’ lower quality, as well as coming with way more grit grime and oil than anything I’ve seen out of GEC in the past.

These sure look nice, but does anyone else feel like the build quality is quite far below what’s come out in the past? I’m sat here comparing the pull, blade play, gapping, etc. with other runs I have from last year namely the 93, 92, 86, etc. I find that these just ‘feel’ lower quality, as well as coming with way more grit grime and oil than anything I’ve seen out of GEC in the past.

Can’t say I have the same sentiment, and I’ve compared them to a few.

I2hDkBW.jpg

I’ve got two come through, both with insanely light pulls and wobble like I’ve never seen
They seem to be doing more weak pulls lately, I've got a 97 Beavertail that I just compared side to side with a SAK, and the pull on that great big 97 and the action to break it from open to swing closed, is weaker than the SAK. That is a sad state of design and execution...I also compared a 2017 Appaloosa 81 moose which to me had weak pulls, and that one is about on par with the SAK, which I find acceptable, but not ideal. can't please everyone all the time and all that, but I hope they pay more attention to the actual workings of the knives, over aesthetics and kitsch going forward.

They seem to be doing more weak pulls lately, I've got a 97 Beavertail that I just compared side to side with a SAK, and the pull on that great big 97 and the action to break it from open to swing closed, is weaker than the SAK. That is a sad state of design and execution...I also compared a 2017 Appaloosa 81 moose which to me had weak pulls, and that one is about on par with the SAK, which I find acceptable, but not ideal. can't please everyone all the time and all that, but I hope they pay more attention to the actual workings of the knives, over aesthetics and kitsch going forward.
Agree 100%. I'd rather have a beater that can do 0-60 in 3 seconds than a fancy shiny kit car that tops out at 65mph... Give me quality over kitsch.

Back