#35 Beer and Sausage Bar Tool Knife

Thanks. I’ll check it out.
Last winter when my stashe was its longest, I'd use Elmer's glue stick, the purple kind, or some form of secondary beezwax.... had to melt it in the hand for a but it got so stiff. I'll look for the exact name and brand for you if you like.
I’ve heard of people using glue sticks but never tried it. The lady that ran the company actually gave me the recipe for the wax, so I will probably try to make it when I run out.
I got these two Beard Beer & Sausage knives in the mail today.

aC8OXj8.jpg

H7s6pgQ.jpg

They look nice, but other than that, they’re just… ok.

The blades and forks have very light pulls, probably the lightest of any GEC knife I own, even lighter than my #72 and #99 lock backs. The blade, when open, will start to close with just the lightest touch.

The pulls on the combs are even lighter still, and they have all the snap of a friction folder (which is to say, none at all). The comb on the Ebony will at least close itself — if you push it down to about 20° — but the comb on the jigged bone will stay put in literally any position.

QVN9Q43.jpg

A8o1p0z.jpg

In addition to the anemic pulls and lack of snap, the comb just feels cheap and flimsy to me. It’s has a mushy sort-of-but-not-quite half stop, and the “BRR TOOL” etch looks like an afterthought. (The etch on my jigged bone is also very crooked.)

On the positive side, these do look great. The Ebony is nice and dark, and the jigging on the bone is well done (the color is more red than I expected, but I like it). And I really like the lined bolsters. The blade itself is fine, the same quality you’d normally expect from GEC. I’m not sure about the fork yet, but it seems nice enough. I’m curious how well the tines will do at piercing (they seem like they could be a bit pointier).

I’m just disappointed in the way these knives feel. The pull/snap/action on the comb doesn’t feel anywhere near GEC quality, and the other blades aren’t a whole lot better.

I had mentioned previously in this thread that I didn’t have much interest in the comb to begin with, and was considering sending the knives off to have it removed when I got them. I still think it would make a better two-blade knife, just the blade and fork/cap lifter, but at this point, I guess I need to decide if I like the knife enough to spend the money to have that done.
That’s a bummer the pulls are too week. It’s hard to tell if people’s rating of pulls is different or if the knives themselves vary that much, but it sounds like the pulls on yours are much weaker than mine. I prefer a strong pull and the blades on my B&S aren’t super strong, but they’re not weak (except the comb) and don’t bother me at all.

Hey Barrett, two good lookin knives there. I agree, the pulls are weaker then most GEC's and we all perceive pull different from another, that said, mine are weeker then most like mentioned but not bad. I just seem to like the knife a bit more everyday. Maybe due to it's amazing odd configuration of blades:oops: Whether it's in my head I feel the snap is a little better with use OR I'm becoming use to the weeker pulls???

Like every new knife most lose their luster and of course the next shiney/sharp object will catch my eye. For now the intrigue and enjoyment is there for me and has renewed my interest in my Churchill's which I think is a fantastic knife. I wish the B&S had equal pulls like the Churchill.

The plus is if you decide to pass one or both along there will absolutely be no shortage of buyers:eek::) be well my friend:thumbsup:

It certainly is a unique knife, no doubt about that. “Odd” is a good word, too. :D

After handling them right out of the tube, I went and grabbed my other two #35’s to compare (an Ebony Churchill and the 2016 BF Harness Jack). It’s surprising how different they are. Those knives don’t exactly have strong pulls, but they’re a lot stronger than these.

I feel like the pulls on GEC knives of the same pattern are usually somewhat consistent from run to run (especially with the same blade shape), but then for whatever reason they did change the spearpoint on this run from a cam tang to a blade with half stops, so it’s not really an apples to apples comparison.

I should say that my complaint about the pulls on the blade and fork/cap lifter is just a matter of personal preference; while they pulls are (very) light compared to other GEC knives, the blades are at least smooth and snappy. (I can’t say the same about the comb.)

That’s a bummer the pulls are too week. It’s hard to tell if people’s rating of pulls is different or if the knives themselves vary that much, but it sounds like the pulls on yours are much weaker than mine. I prefer a strong pull and the blades on my B&S aren’t super strong, but they’re not weak (except the comb) and don’t bother me at all.

It is, of course, subjective. All I know is I’ve had a few GEC’s with what I’d call “light” pulls before (the long sheepsfoot on the #13 Speaker Jack comes to mind), but nothing this light.

As I said above, though, the blade and the fork are at least snappy. It’s not the most satisfying snap, because the pulls are so light, but they’re snappy nonetheless. I should probably carry one for a couple days and only use those two blades, not touching the comb. It’s entirely possible (even likely, I’d say) that the mushy, unpleasant action of the comb is sort of souring my enjoyment of the rest of the knife. :)

I have the option to pick up the micarta or the ebony. I think im going to go for the micarta. That ebony is too pretty for me.

As I said earlier, this knife has 'tools' rather than blades so weak pull is to be expected and most owners don't seem to mind this- it aint no SAK ;) Never liked Friction Folders anyway :rolleyes:

Seen the beard grooming pix but what about Pets? Anybody dared try that out?:D Why not start with a Porcupine?:eek: Or Dead Skunk (oh no that's too wimpy for some tastes :poop:)

As I said earlier, this knife has 'tools' rather than blades so weak pull is to be expected and most owners don't seem to mind this- it aint no SAK ;) Never liked Friction Folders anyway :rolleyes:

Seen the beard grooming pix but what about Pets? Anybody dared try that out?:D Why not start with a Porcupine?:eek: Or Dead Skunk (oh no that's too wimpy for some tastes :poop:)
I think the comb it a bit too delicate to get very aggressive with tangled pet hair and burs. I’d be worried about bending the comb or breaking tines. Although my dogs are outside a lot and my border collie’s hair is long and can get very matted. It might be possible to use on an inside dog with shorter hair.

I’m just disappointed in the way these knives feel. The pull/snap/action on the comb doesn’t feel anywhere near GEC quality, and the other blades aren’t a whole lot better.

If you haven’t yet, flush the heck out of the comb joint with some mineral oil or oil of your preference. When I received mine I wouldn’t have know there was a half stop, it was just light mush opening and closing. After working in a lot of oil, the comb lightly snaps into open or closed positions. Due to the small spring it’s never going to have much force, but will definitely function better than the way it left the factory.

Not sure if I’m going to regret it but I traded my Ebony for a 2019 #86 Forum knife. Still have a jigged bone one coming so all is not lost. :)

I'd say you made an excellent trade - especially since you have another (albeit different) B&S on its way. The 2019 knife is absolutely superb - we did a great job selecting that one last year.

Got mine today, first thought is how flimsy the comb is, im somewhat worried about it being easily bent. The pull on the blade is pretty light, its one of the few slipjoints i have that can be wrist flicked open from a half stop, I think the only other I can do that with is the 97. Overall I would say im happy with it, the ebony is beautiful and I cant wait to crack open my first beer with it.

Back