1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Kizer 1034A1 Gingrich Bush Knife & Ka-Bar Dozier Folding Hunter, , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!

Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday Sept 7!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, Sept 8 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

3V is some SERIOUS steel! (video)

Discussion in 'General Knife Discussion' started by Heartland_edc, May 14, 2016.

1. Heartland_edc

Heartland_edc

May 4, 2015
    So this last Thursday, I binge watched a ton of knife stuff on YouTube, and I came across this video on 3V steel testing. All I have to say is, ho-ly-crap. I had NO idea how amazing this steel was. I know a lot of it depends on the heat treat and blade geometry, but the fact that it's capable of this kind of abuse is stunning. I've seen other "super" steels do some amazing stuff, but honestly, I've never seen anything like this. Also, I've never heard of Miller Bros Blades. Seems like they make some kick-ass fixed blades! Take a look! Just wanted to share with everyone :D

[youtube]KXt_od8GDO4[/youtube]

Last edited: May 14, 2016
  2. palonej

palonej Platinum Member Platinum Member

Aug 5, 2015
    That stuff is no joke!! Dam!!
    Joe

3. Darrin Sanders

Darrin Sanders Knifemaker Moderator Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

May 6, 2009
    Not that big of a deal. Its simply a matter of geometry. That is basically a parlor trick. What they tested there is one of todays popular sharpened pry-bars. If you used the same size stock and geometry you could do the exact same thing with plain old 5160. That thing is much closer to a cold chisel than a usable knife.
    Why anyone would need a knife shaped object that can do any of those things is beyond me.

4. sharp thoughts

sharp thoughts

Oct 24, 2000
    I absolutely agree 100%

5. Grandmaster

Grandmaster Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 14, 2015
    how about that, now we got batoning steel

6. JR88FAN

JR88FAN

May 5, 2013
    3V is hands down, at almost any geometry, as close to a perfect steel as I have used.

(This is my opinion based on my experience and what I like in a steel)

Wish there was more of it out there....

7. mete

mete Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 10, 2003
    Now more abusers will join the Batoning Club .Don't bring your broken blade to me and asked " what happened ? "

8. shqxk

shqxk

Mar 26, 2012
    Most hardened knife steel can do the same with that kind of geometry.

9. shqxk

shqxk

Mar 26, 2012
    Cutting nail, steel sheet or any impractical material are basically proof nothing.

If you want to show off the true performance of your steel choice/ heat treat, try make hardcore chopper with very thin geometry like most cutting competition blade and chop 2x4 with it.

10. Ankerson

Ankerson Knife and Computer Geek Platinum Member Gold Member

Nov 2, 2002

OH LORD help me..... ROFL

11. Heartland_edc

Heartland_edc

May 4, 2015
    What really impressed me was the condition of the edge and tip after they did it. Not to mention how the steel sprung back to position after they hung 1000 lbs from the handle. I've seen a lot of test videos. Never anything like this.

12. Krav

Krav Platinum Member Platinum Member

Jun 6, 2013
    It would of been impressive if he batoned straight through the vice. I like 3 V.

13. Heartland_edc

Heartland_edc

May 4, 2015
    Haha I agree! That would be impressive!

14. DeadboxHero

DeadboxHero

Mar 22, 2014
    [Youtube]yHkYEHVzwAs[/YouTube]

This is more impressive

A thin piece if silver steel at high hardess with a bomber heat treatment no parlor tricks here

He flexs the edge on a vice, batons a nail and a piece of mild steel

This is the holy grail of strength and toughness, With a great cutting geometry.

Remember it not just about the steel and the geometry.

An awesome heat treatment can really push the performance

15. MaximIsayev

MaximIsayev

Dec 17, 2014
    Wow, that is pretty impressive. According to the comments, that's the steel he's using:
    http://www.zknives.com/knives/steels/steelgraph.php?nm=110wcrv5&ss=1

16. DeadboxHero

DeadboxHero

Mar 22, 2014
  17. DeadboxHero

DeadboxHero

Mar 22, 2014
    [Youtube]1w1_WX_fNN8[/YouTube]

Whoa, 3v on a thin blade :thumbup:

18. Wowbagger

Wowbagger Basic Member Basic Member

Sep 20, 2015
    OHHHHHH YAHHHHH !

Heartland_edc,

I knew there was some craftsmanship still left in the world out there some where.
    Looks like you found it !

Thank you for posting that.
    I better start savin' up.

19. Joshua J.

Joshua J.

Feb 27, 2005
    Everything posted in this thread is a simple demonstration of geometry and hardness. Any decent steel will do. I can use an OLFA blade to shave slivers off of hardened 154CM, it's just basic physics.

20. sirupatespecial

sirupatespecial

Oct 16, 2013
    So, all steels are the same then?