1. Week 43of the BladeForums.com Year of Giveaways is live! Enter to win a Spyderco C243PBK Edela + Misc Prize Pack

Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Spyderco Endela + Misc Prize Pack , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!
    Be sure to read the rules before entering, and help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread!

Entries will close at 11:59PM Saturday, Oct 26 ; winners will be drawn on Sunday @ 5pm on our Youtube Channel: TheRealBladeForums. Bonus prizes will be given during the livestream!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

3V is some SERIOUS steel! (video)

Discussion in 'General Knife Discussion' started by Heartland_edc, May 14, 2016.

1. bdmicarta

bdmicarta

Feb 16, 2012
    I was impressed by hammering the blade several inches into soft steel, even though I know that it should work. But hanging the weight off of the handle didn't seem that unusual. I calculated the approximate maximum bending stress in the blade and it was about what I would expect most hardened steels to handle. And the point of maximum bending stress was at a point in the blade where there weren't any discontinuities or holes or notches so the increased toughness of 3V wasn't a factor. If you look carefully at the test they hung the chain relatively close to the end of their support. It would have been a better test if they had hung the chain closer to the butt end of the handle.

2. Heartland_edc

Heartland_edc

May 4, 2015
    hey man it's cool. nobody is angry here :/

3. Darrin Sanders

Darrin Sanders Knifemaker Moderator Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

May 6, 2009
    I hear ya buddy, no anger here either. Black & white letters on a computer sceen don't allow us to convey any emotion in our statements. I believe that's why a lot of these threads go south when the same threads held in a face to face conversation would be all laughs fun discussion. If I can ever help you with anything, just let me know.

4. HSC ///

HSC /// KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Nov 7, 2012
    hey Shawn, actually this Field knife is 3/16" thick, I like to consider <1/8" as a thin knife.
    The Carothers field knife is however properly sharpened and will push cut paper as delivered.

You are an accomplished tester, you know that a thin slice of tomato easily moves "out of the way", just like paper does. :)
    I just got one of these and will do some testing on it and attempt to see the practical use of 3v

regards