4.1 thread

Nice!
You'll have to share your impressions of the 4.1 here first though!
Rules are rules.

Absolutely, I'm really looking forward to playing with the new 4.1 and comparing it to the older version and CPK FK. I'll be sure to take some pics and post them up after next weekends use, but also when I get it in my grubby hands :)

Really looking forward to your thoughts on this one supertac.

I received mine today and it's a really nice blade. The handle ergonomics are better than my CPK Field Knives. I actually prefer it over my 4.7's. It is a little heavier than my older 4.1's. I just switched over the sagewood dangler and pouch from one of my 4.7's because I plan to carry next weekend on a snow backpacking trip. I'll play with it a little in the backyard tomorrow and compare it to the old 4.1, 4.7, and FK. I'll post up some pics in the morning. Overall I think Survive nailed this one. I've always loved my older model 4.1 because of its versatility. I have no doubt this one will take its place is my go to for summer and fall hikes and backpacking trips

I received mine today and it's a really nice blade. The handle ergonomics are better than my CPK Field Knives. I actually prefer it over my 4.7's. It is a little heavier than my older 4.1's. I just switched over the sagewood dangler and pouch from one of my 4.7's because I plan to carry next weekend on a snow backpacking trip. I'll play with it a little in the backyard tomorrow and compare it to the old 4.1, 4.7, and FK. I'll post up some pics in the morning. Overall I think Survive nailed this one. I've always loved my older model 4.1 because of its versatility. I have no doubt this one will take its place is my go to for summer and fall hikes and backpacking trips

Awesome. This description has me excited. Thanks man.

Awesome. This description has me excited. Thanks man.

No worries, I didn't get around to playing with them this past weekend due to house and yard chores. Hopefully, I'll get around to it during the week before we head out on our trip because I'm bringing my 8 and 9 year old boys. There's a little extra gear that I have to drag along with me for them which is limiting the amount of space for extra knives to bring along..lol

So I was able to play with my Factory 2nd 4.1 in D3V breaking down a little wood while cooking dinner. First off I couldn't find the flaw that made it a factory 2nd, but that has always been the case with all of my Factory 2nd Survive blades. I decided to compare a 7/7, 4.7 in CFV, and a CPK Field Knife pre-Delta to the new gen 4.1. Too be honest, all of the knives performed without a problem in the short period of time and limited amount of wood I had on hand. I will say the 4.1 and FK definitely had the others beat when it came to drilling and feather sticking due to the thinner blade profiles and edges. The D3V edge did hold up slightly better than the FK because the FK had a very slight edge deformation, but it's still razor sharp and it's splitting hairs literally. The 4.1 did get stuck in a large piece of wood with a big knot in it and I was unable to get through it because the blade length. The 7/7 went through the knot fairly easily after the original baton spit in two.

In regards to comfort it was difficult to tell without spending hours behind each knife to compare and look for hot spots. I prefer the smaller handles on the 4.1 and FK over the 4.7, but that's just personal preference because the 4.7 is very comfortable. I actually have always preferred carrying the older 4.1 on most of my outdoor adventures because it's light and can virtually do anything from basic camp chores to "survival" tasks. The only time I've found I wanted a bigger blade is when process larger pieces of wood, but in the event I'm backpacking or camping I usually will bring a GB SF axe and a Silky saw.

In comparing the 1st generation 4.1 to the new gen models I do really like the improvements. The slightly longer blade length, new finish, reduced belly to a finer point, and the handle ergonomics were all excellent improvements on the older model. Whether the D3V heat treat is much better than the old or the pre D3V new gen heat treat on the 5.1 and 4.7's is yet to be determined. I never had any significant issues with my 1st gen SK!'s in their standard 3v aside from some surface rust while placing a wet knife in the sheath and leaving it there for several hours. I haven't had any issues with my new Gen 4.7 or 5.1's in either 20cv or 3v, so I'm assuming the current heat treats are more corrosion resistant as advertised.

All in all, the New Gen 4.1 is one of my favorites of all my knives now. I will be packing it with me this weekend for a snow camping trip, along with a few other blades to play with, my axe, and saw. Should be fun trying to test it, but I'm sure it'll eat through anything any mere mortal like myself could throw at it.

That was a great read, thanks Supertac :thumbup:
I want a 4.1 so much now to compare with and keep company my FK

Thanks for the review, I am really glad that I ordered a 4.1 second at this rate I will have it in about a month!

The slightly increased length should fit my hand better and will make it my main fixed blade for hiking/camping.

Holy cow bud. That's a great collection of GSOs. I really like how 'neutral' the new 4.1 appears, as in it should work well in many different grips. Thanks for the thoughts and have a great time on your trip!!

Thanks Xtian, OBX, tech, and HK!

I have an addiction when it comes to SK!'s and any quality blades. I think you guys will really like your new spec 4.1's and the modifications Guy made to the design. As for most of us we have more knives than we have time to go out and play with each of them, but the 4.1 is definitely one that I intend to be one of my main primary carries for the outdoors. I'll post up some pics next Monday evening or first thing Tuesday after we get back from our snow camping trip. Hopefully the nice weather holds because it should be perfect out there.

Thanks Xtian, OBX, tech, and HK!

I have an addiction when it comes to SK!'s and any quality blades. I think you guys will really like your new spec 4.1's and the modifications Guy made to the design. As for most of us we have more knives than we have time to go out and play with each of them, but the 4.1 is definitely one that I intend to be one of my main primary carries for the outdoors. I'll post up some pics next Monday evening or first thing Tuesday after we get back from our snow camping trip. Hopefully the nice weather holds because it should be perfect out there.
Thanks for your comments! I really like my new spec 4.1. Also, I'm glad to hear it compares well to the CPK Field Knife. I was really feeling a bit put out since I recently saw the FK, loved it, then learned they were out of production.

Thanks for your comments! I really like my new spec 4.1. Also, I'm glad to hear it compares well to the CPK Field Knife. I was really feeling a bit put out since I recently saw the FK, loved it, then learned they were out of production.

My pleasure, the CPK Field Knife is still an awesome knife and I have one in Pre-Delta and another in D3V. Both the new spec 4.1 and FK are great and I'd have a hard time choosing between the two, but you can't go wrong with your 4.1. The FK's pop up on the secondary market every once and awhile, but they seem to be going for $300 plus due to CPK discontinuing them. They also tend to sell very quickly. If you can find one I'd recommend picking one up, but again you'll be perfectly happy if you're stuck with "only" the 4.1.. :) I'm looking forward to CPKs Survival Knife which should compete against the GSO 6 and 7/7, but I'm not sure when Nathan will be releasing that one. It's going to be very hard to get because he usually only releases and sells what he has on hand, so about 20 blades every two weeks.

I was able to get out yesterday to do some snowshoeing with my family and brought the 4.1 with me. It's a perfect blade for a day hike or backpacking blade, where I'm not planning to process a lot of wood. I brought my Silky Pocket Boy along with the 4.1 in the event I had a chance to start a small fire, but I was busy hanging out with my wife, kids, and dogs this trip. Don't get me wrong I really wanted to find an excuse to use the knife, but didn't find any fallen dead wood in the immediate area that wasn't buried in snow from the storm on Saturday. However, I ended up getting a decent shot of the knife next to a creek. One of the positives about the 4.1 is it's a little lighter and easier to carry than the 4.7 and 5.1 for these short trips. However, it is heavier than the old spec 4.1 with the longer blade length and non-skeletonized tang, but the new ergonomics on the handle, longer blade length, and updated contour to the blade make up for it :)

Back