4.1 thread

Woohoo!!!! This is awesome. Initial thoughts?

Great news! Is yours a factory second?
Yeah Silver mine is a Factory 2nd,I checked a little bit ago and my order will be here Tuesday! So Happy I will have my 1st S!K for the 4th of July.Hope you get yours soon too Silver along with Everybody else on this forum that has been waiting for so long.

Last edited:
Initial thoughts?

I know it's been said on here by several who have them in-hand, but I didn't get it through my head until I was able to handle this one: The new 4.1 is very similar in size to the 4.7. I'm going to guess that if you tried one of these and it didn't work for you, the other will-->similar size, totally different feel. I'll try to get a bunch of comparison pictures together in the next few days.

It can be confusing since some of the model numbers indicate the blade length and others do not.
I think that HK explains the difference in feel as well as anybody has.
Try both, keep the one you love. :)

I'll try to get a bunch of comparison pictures together in the next few days.

Here's a few at least. I'll try to snap some alongside a field knife and the last gen 4.1 later.

4.7/4.1
k83rG5J.jpg

4.1 with an RMD...
2vWg4MB.jpg

Group shot with front of scales aligned
jkAYdQ7.jpg

Thanks for the pics! Any noticeable difference in handle length when holding or using the two GSOs?

Did you already say if the 4.1 is black g10?

Thanks for the pics! Any noticeable difference in handle length when holding or using the two GSOs?

So I don't notice a difference in the length, but what I do notice is that the palm flare hits different between the two, so the position where they want to settle in-hand is different. I really like the way the deep index of the 4.7, combined with the flare, locks me in. The 4.1 feels a little more loose. I would imagine both of those occurrences are by design as the 4.1 is for sure built more neutral, and would probably be a better all-arounder.

Did you already say if the 4.1 is black g10?

Wow, there is a big difference in the pictures between the 4.7 and the 4.1 handle color. I was not even paying attention to that when taking them. Both of those handles are black canvas micarta with the texturing. I'm not sure why there is such a difference, but that 4.7 has been bouncing around in my winter-hunting pack for months, so maybe the material of the pack has absorbed most of the oils in the scales????

Hard Knocks Hard Knocks I appreciate the comments.

That is funny both handles are the same material. The unoiled micarta could almost be marketed as tactical wolf gray :D

Not sure when your next wilderness outing is, but definitely follow up when you have an impression on how the 4.1 is in use.

Hard Knocks Hard Knocks I know I'll like the new 4.1 compared to the old. Longer handle, new finish on handle and blade, delta 3v!
With that said, I've gotten a lot of use with my old 4.1 in the last month and I really do like it. The old school hype was justified!

B BamaFan4Life Congratulations! Definitely give us some pics and more thoughts when you get to use it :thumbsup:

I know I'll like the new 4.1 compared to the old. Longer handle, new finish on handle and blade, delta 3v!
With that said, I've gotten a lot of use with my old 4.1 in the last month and I really do like it. The old school hype was justified!

For sure. My old jimpless 4.1 is not going anywhere, it's been a great knife. If I were going to do anything to it at all, it would be to put a slight swedge near the point to make leg-splitting a little easier, but that's because I'm hunting with it. If I were strictly doing bushcraft, it's nearly perfect the way it is.

Ya I think you will appreciate the new model SN, it's got all the new bells and whistles. I think this model is likely destined to be a top tier hard use blade, it's just got so much going for it. I just can't get over how much bigger it feels compared to the old 4.1. I mean, in the pictures you can see it's probably not over 3/4" longer, but it's a handful. If the old 4.1 is like "I will cut you!" then the new 4.1 is "Bro, that's not a baton, THIS is a baton."

Congrats Dave, 4.1 looks like a winner. I think I need one. Maybe that will cure my stainless steel crave. 4.1 in 20cv...mmm...
Out of the 4.7 and 4.1, which do you prefer in hand?

Anyone know if 4.1 2nds are available today??

Since they launched the SK line (and the new business model) they've opened up a lot of preorders but there aren't any seconds listed.

Back