40T issue

No, nothing's wrong. I still love flipping the darn thing.

Just received my second 40T in the mail yesterday. But, going back to how BM has a tendency to inadvertently create "instant collectibles" I have 2 40T's and on the one I got yesterday, it has the 40T Model number etched into it. The other, the one from three weeks ago? Etched with model number "42T". Anyone else with "42T" etching? Just curious.

You know, Tony.
I don't have one of those, yet, and since you have two, I really think that you should sell me the one that's less collectable.:)

That is very strange.

The tang "stamping" process is done by a laser these days. The laser is literally driven by like a gif file from a computer. The thing can draw anything. Notice, for example, how nice the butterfly logo looks on BM knives these days compared to the old one. (The late 44s which were acid-etched were the worst. Some of those just sort of have a blury blob on the tang.) Anyway, what this means is that someone had to sit down and make a file containing the 42T image. It's very likely that there's quite a number (maybe fifty or a 100 even) of these out there too.

While on the subject, one of the delays in getting the 49s out was the etching. The blades are so polished that they just reflected the laser right off. It's like trying to shine a light into a mirror; you just end up blinding yourself. Obviously, BM overcome that and now knows a process for laser-etching highly polished surfaces. Just another example of the sorts of stuff that BM learns by doing these special, limited runs.

Couldn't they just laser in the logo and stuff _before_ the polishing?

My tang has 40T etched on. Got it Monday from 1SKS.

You just found yourself a collectible :)

PS - Hello fellow balisongers. Been interested for years, started flipping recently, first BM this week :)

Hey, congratulations, and welcome to the forum! Watch out for flying balis. ;)

Tony: Well, it's a fake! You have to realize it. It's really a 40T, but it has 42T printed on... Just another CCC. ;) Mail it my way - I'll get rid of it for you. :p

Wow.., that is strange Tony :confused: .., and of course now we will all look for our own "42T's" :)

Geeeesh.., someone tell me how to have my own little flipping guy.., those things are neat! :p I'm assuming it takes "skill" to design those little devils, so if that's case., ignore me...lol.

"Hunters seek what they [WANT].., Seekers hunt what they [NEED]"

Maybe a call to BM would be nice. If they seem at all surprised, stop flipping the 42T and send it my way. The surpise in the voice would be because the 42T's all are radioactive, if you use it longer than 2 months your hand will fall off and anything that hand touched (hey hey, this is a family show, get your mind out of the gutter!) will fall off too.

I, however, have mastered the art of beating radioactivity.

In short, send it my way. Its for your own good.

To late Pete/Manteen.., as you guys were typing I ran out the back door of Tony's house while Mrs. Tony was beating him about the head with new packages that arrived today. :(

Fortunately as I was running from the site of this harsh treatment.., I accidentally grabbed the "42T" with my car keys! Of course I discovered that I had it only seconds later.., but I thought I should keep it so Tony didn't get in more trouble.., -We have to look out for one another in here-!!!!

Gee.., as I'm looking closely at it.., it doesn't look at all like a Model 42???? It also has weird holes through the the flats of the butter-knife-grind that I perfected years ago! It feels mysteriously light as a member of the 4X's.. :confused:

Yes..., of course....it must be a ~~> Lazer-Bat-Blade

Sorry.. :( .., couldn't resist...

"Hunters seek what they [WANT].., Seekers hunt what they [NEED]"

Being the resident nuclear engineer (or at least ex nuke) I think I should properly dispose of the deadly radioactive 42T. I do have experience handling RAM (radioactive material) and all.

Too cool, Tony --- hang onto that puppy and don't advertise that you have it !!! Kind of like the BM Forum knives that were mis-marked 154CM as opposed to M2. Only we know what we've got !!! :)

The trick to handling radio active stuff is not to touch it very much. Inasmuchas I've yet to be disarmed with my 40T, I'm out of the question. I think we need someone who's good at aerials.

Mine is 40T. And I was pleasantly supprised when Mike from Newgraham billed me and advised that the price was lower that originally quoted and I received it at a lower price. Not too many dealer lower the price after you already ordered. Thanks Mike.
Wonder If I will be that lucky on the 31.
stretch.gif

Gee, ask a simple question and I'm getting poisoned with radioactivity. ;)

Even with the threat of dying slow, you'll have to pry that 42T from my cold dead hands. :D At least I'll die happy, those trainers are addictingly fun. Can't seem to put it down.

Ok, here's the inside story on 42T.

These are the original few, estimates are 10-50 pieces (I love the way BM keeps records), production pieces. They were made before the marketing department decided on the 40T model name. They were intended as sales samples only.

So, if you've got one, then you've got a great collectible piece.

Back