410SS / 26C3 Core San Mai from AKS ?

Anyone here ever work with this stuff? Would like to have a picture of finished knife made from it. Thanks.

Where do you see this on their site?

I have some
I forged out three knives and here’s one of them I completed and I’m grinding a big Gyuto today

I handled the material just like I do the Hitachi laminated steel i get

I forged it out, annealed it in vermiculite, cold forged it, thin slip layer clay coated it and heat treated by Eye in a Forge and quenched it in straight water

The only thing I noticed is that the 26c3 Core material was thinner than what I’m used to (percentage of the total thickness) but so far it hasn’t appeared to be a problem

it’s possible that I feel like it was a little harder to Forge maybe because the stainless was thicker... not certain about this

deLMTJ8.jpg

YNcaE5N.jpg

I have some
I forged out three knives and here’s one of them I completed and I’m grinding a big Gyuto today

I forged it out, annealed it in vermiculite, cold forged it, thin slip layer clay coated it and heat treated by Eye in a Forge and quenched it in straight water

The only thing I noticed is that the 26c3 Core material was thinner than what I’m used to (percentage of the total thickness) but so far it hasn’t appeared to be a problem

it’s possible that I feel like it was a little harder to Forge maybe because the stainless was thicker... not certain about this

deLMTJ8.jpg

YNcaE5N.jpg

That's some pretty kitchen knife my friend! But since you forged it, do you think there might be some further carbon migration among lamination line thus make its looks better than the original stock?

Could someone please post a pic of the edge of the billet before use?
I'm trying to understand which layers are exposed in HSC's pic...

That's some pretty kitchen knife my friend! But since you forged it, do you think there might be some further carbon migration among lamination line thus make its looks better than the original stock?
Yes I would think that’s the case

Could someone please post a pic of the edge of the billet before use?
I'm trying to understand which layers are exposed in HSC's pic...

this is not the AKS billet but this is similar and gives you an idea and the only difference is the AKS billet Core was thinner

but I don’t think this picture is going to answer your question...

What’s being exposed is the stainless cladding the high carbon steel core and possibly a nickel layer if that’s in there
muI0kmZ.jpg

Thanks, that looks roughly like I would expect.
I was trying to understand what layer the darker material exposed near the spine of your knife is coming from (and on the tang).

I have some

deLMTJ8.jpg

YNcaE5N.jpg

looks great Harbeer,
I was wondering what the purpose of cold forging it is. Is it to straighten warp?

Lol honestly have no intention of doing that.
I haven’t had experience in laminated steels so I’m not familiar with cold forging.
Oh no... Please don’t open up that can of worms :D

edited after looking it up: Nevermind, forget I asked. :D

Last edited:
Lol honestly have no intention of doing that.
I have t had experience in laminated steels so I’m not familiar with cold forging.
I actually got this material about two months ago as a test trial piece and I wasn’t able to get to it till the third week of March as i was thankfully very busy in February and March

I wanted to make sure that I processed it the same way that I process the laminated steel that I use. Workability and efficiency is very important to me. So since I cold Forge laminated steel I need to make sure that this could be processed the same way

The purpose is not to straighten warp.
Cold forging is done before hardening. It serves a couple purposes but the main thing for me is it allows me to smooth the forged surface, the highs and lows. Since I don’t use a power hammer it’s hard to get an even surface all across the blade.

straightening warp after heat treat is done on a wood stump with a brass mallet and often several times through the grinding process, only strike the soft lamination not the hardened core

Last edited:
I actually got this material about two months ago as a test trial piece and I wasn’t able to get to it till the third week of March as i was thankfully very busy in February and March

I wanted to make sure that I processed it the same way that I process the laminated steel that I use. Workability and efficiency is very important to me. So since I cold Forge laminated steel I need to make sure that this could be processed the same way

The purpose is not to straighten warp.
Cold forging is done before hardening. It serves a couple purposes but the main thing for me is it allows me to smooth the forged surface, the highs and lows. Since I don’t use a power hammer it’s hard to get an even surface all across the blade.

straightening warp after heat treat is done on a wood stump with a brass mallet and often several times through the grinding process, only strike the soft lamination not the hardened core

Can you just HT at full thickness? Is there issues with this material just doing a HT and then shaping?

Back