440C

JK Knives

I'm thinking about buying some 1/16" x 1" 440C to make some small kitchen and outdoors knives. I know that it's not the latest supersteel, but it's still a good steel. Thoughts? Opinions?

Although it might not be in vogue. With proper heat treat , it should do what your asking..

I did just notice that aeb-l is cheaper at aldos.
Is there a specific reason to chose 440c over aeb-l?
Im not a steel guru ....yet.. so i couldnt tell you which would be technically better.

Imho I still remember the crappy days of cheap 440c knives...... just saying for a sales point of view but what do i know (not much!):thumbsup:

I agree that from a marketing standpoint it may not be the best choice. Most people are crazy obsessed with all of the super steels. But 440c would fit well with JK Knives IMO. A great steel for a knife that's meant to be used daily. I would find a way to get the money scraped together to order another JK if 1/16" stainless became available.

I think if you can back up your product and put a proper HT on it then use what you want we can often get ourselves too wrapped up into the newest and "greatest" blinding ourselves to the reality.

440c is just fine. I might like a Worker in that with a three inch blade and three and a half inch handle. Talk about a slicer! Would make a great kitchen utility or bait knife.

440c is a fine steel for kitchen knives. Good idea.

Some joint down in Orlando, Florida uses a lot of 440C (and O1), I think it's called Randys Knives or Sandall or something like that. It seems they have about a 78 month wait for orders, so folks must like it ok.

I'm actually thinking of something like my old version of the Herters Improved Bowie, but 1/16" thick, might be fun. Also my old paring knife design.

I've been eyeing up a Worker in 01 but if this were an option is certainly need to think about it. I like 440C, it's never disappointed me.

440C is as functional as AEB-L or 154CM/CPM-134 with the right HT.
1/16x1" is also a good size of stock for a bird & trout knife.
one word of caution, as I don't remember if you've worked with stock that thin before -- it gets hot and turns to spaghetti pretty quick when grinding it.

I have read that the HT protocol for AEB-L is fairly easy to manage in a backyard HT and yield decent results.

That being said, since you are able to squeeze the level of performance out of O1 that you do, I would be willing to bet that an AEB-L blade from you would be phenomenal. (As well as the alloy being rather well regarded to begin with.)

That being said, 440C is fine for knives, especially wth a good HT on it. Though since it is an older alloy and less exotic as it once was, it doesn't catch as many ears as AEB-L would in the exchange and likely here as well.

I think the smaller Worker that rdrogers rdrogers mentions would be great. Personally I think I would prefer it more with more of a drop point but that's just my aesthetic opinion. I think if you can come up with 2 or 3 options to use with that steel you could probably gather enough orders to justify ordering that steel. Something to fit the paring/B&T spot, either a utility knife like the stretched worker or a small chef's knife, and then a good camp knife.

I'll see if decide to keep the forum open when it runs out in mid January, if I keep it open, and I have extra money in my account, I might order some steel.

Back