440C?

JK Knives

Just wondering if there was still any interest in the “old school favorite”, 440C. I’m thinking of offering it for some of my smaller EDC size knives. Cost would be about the same as O1.
Let’s hear your opinions.

Despite the fact that Randall Knives of Orlando still offers 440C, I think that the majority of custom and handmade knife purchasers would not find 440C to be a sexy choice of stainless options. I believe that this is born out in the number of orders you have received of 440C so far. Personally, I like 440C when not to thick (1/8" or less) but other than fillet knives, kitchen knives, Mora's and Swiss Army Folders, I would pass. What do you think about D2 as a lower priced, almost stainless option? However.......... 440c does take a beautiful high shine polish for presentation and display type knives

D2 is definitely not a lower price steel, costs over double the price of O1, and quite a bit more than S30V and 154CM.

Hey John,
I am a fan of 440c when done right.

My Buck #105 was my first knife that was gifted to me as a youth from my older brothers. Loved that knife. My first user knife I would say. Where I brought it to dull, then had to figure out how to sharpen it. My Gerber sportsman folders in 440c were like that too. Rock hard, not easy to sharpen.

Is there a big price difference between 154cm vs CPM 154, AEB-L, or even Nitro V?
All steels that I would select over 154cm or 440c if given the choice.
Chris

Price is higher on those and they also need cryogenic treatment in nitrogen, something I’m not equipped for.

I really like 440C. Not sure if a custom will be in the budget next year but if it is I would definitely be interested. Something smaller than my Michigan Trail.
440C is good stuff. Hopefully you get some interest. I would suggest leaving this up and open for a few days and let people see it.

Despite the fact that Randall Knives of Orlando still offers 440C, I think that the majority of custom and handmade knife purchasers would not find 440C to be a sexy choice of stainless options. I believe that this is born out in the number of orders you have received of 440C so far. Personally, I like 440C when not to thick (1/8" or less) but other than fillet knives, kitchen knives, Mora's and Swiss Army Folders, I would pass. What do you think about D2 as a lower priced, almost stainless option? However.......... 440c does take a beautiful high shine polish for presentation and display type knives

I think that stainless Randall knives are 440B to make them less prone to chipping.

lt would seem that I have had my ice cream shit on!:poop:
However, it is deserved, and you, tiguy7, would appear to be correcto mundo!:thumbsup:
440B it shall be!

Was poking around alpha knife supply and I wonder if using a 440C equivalent want help dispel some of the bad mojo for 440c. AKS has Bohler n695 which ia basically 440c, so just call it n695 instead?

440B could make an interesting knife I think. Also curious how the sandvic steel would do.

Can't believe how cheap AEB-L is on AKS compared to other steels.

440 A, B, and C all have identical composition except for Carbon content. A is .65-.75%. B is .75-.95%. C is .95-1.20%.
So C has the best wear resistance, the best HRC potential, and the least toughness. It is not fine blankable.
B is tougher than C but not as tough as A. B should have more wear resistance than A.
420 has .15% Carbon.
420 HC has .46% Carbon. HC stands for High Carbon, which means the Carbon content is high for a 420 series stainless. It can be fine blanked which greatly speeds the production process. It also is a little easier to sharpen than 440C.
In simple steels (without a lot of alloying elements), the low, medium, and high Carbon designations go 1040, 1070, and 1095 where the last two digits describe the Carbon content as .40%, .70%, and .95% respectively. The higher the Carbon, the harder the steel can be made. The lower the hardness, the tougher the steel is. Understand that simple steels are available in many formulations like 1020, 1050, 1080, etc. and that the designation actually represents a range of composition. IE 1080 steel ranges between .75 and .88% in Carbon content.
Simple steels get their wear resistance from their HRC (Hardness Rockwell C scale) which is determined by the crystal structure of the Iron Carbides. Highly alloyed steels get wear resistance from their HRC and their wear resistant inclusions like Chrome Carbide, Vanadium Carbide, Molybdenum Carbide, etc.
This pedant needs a Scotch.

All I can offer up is Jamison's Irish or Jim Beam. Never developed the scotch thing

I don't have a problem with 440C, but I can see how it can limit your potential customer base. A lot of people care way too much about "high end" steels. CPM-154 is a very, very good steel, but a lot of people think of it as just a mid-level option.

I am a huge fan of AEB-L, though.

I’m probably not going to offer any new steels, it would just add to inventory cost. Also, have any of you actually looked into heat treating procedures for some of those steels? Not as simple as some may think.

that's another reason to like AEB-L.
it's a pretty easy HT process.
wrap in stainless foil or paint to minimize decarb (yes, it's very special paint and I don't know the cost compared to the stainless foil)
preheat for a bit, bring up to temp for a bit, plate quench.
then you can either cryo in a cooler full of crushed dry ice and kerosene (or acetone) or do your first temper cycle at 400f
after the second temper, you're done.

I currently use 440C in my paring size and up to my 11 3/4 Chef! I have the HT done by Paul Bos at Buck RC 60-61 and it holds an edge fine & the large carbides allow it to still cut & Chop after the edge has dulled a bit. Never had a complaint from home to pro Papered Chefs! Great corrosion resistance and fine price, I buy mine from NJSB ......I’ve made skinners & Bowies with it as well. Bowie’s I bring down to 58-59 RC. I also use a lot of AEB-L .

Back