4v Manix 2 in marbled CF - Fradon Lock Company exclusive

Discussion in 'Spyderco' started by kniferbro, Sep 20, 2018.

1. JackTheKnifeGuy

JackTheKnifeGuy Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 12, 2017
    Kind of reminds me of a "camo" carbon fiber.

Awesome as hell.

2. John_0917

John_0917

Apr 15, 2014
    These look way better in owner’s pics than the stock photos. How is the performance of 4V? I know it’s known more for toughness than anything else but I have to expect that with 4% vanadium it’s got pretty good wear resistance too?

3. blame it on god

blame it on god

Feb 21, 2013
    4V is supposed to be a steel that can run at very high hardness without the fear of chipping. The high hardness also gives a boost in edge stability. Though if I understand correctly there is a slight loss of wear resistance. But what good is wear resistance if you've rolled your edge?

I hope spyderco didn't miss a great opportunity by running it soft. I'll find out soon enough. I'll be reprofiling it to 12dps this weekend.

SpySmasher likes this.
  4. abbazaba

abbazaba Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 30, 2015
    Wow! Pictures are not doing this beast justice! I'm going to try to take some better ones today, but I don't know if it will be possible to capture just how great this knife looks in person. The combination of how the light plays off the marbled CF and hollow grind makes for a sensational package. This thing is a work of art. I may have preferred FFG, but from an astetic point of view, they nailed it.

[​IMG]

5. TheFactor

TheFactor Life is good ! Platinum Member

Feb 26, 2015
    I’m so tempted .....:eek:

6. Ankerson

Ankerson Knife and Computer Geek Platinum Member

Nov 2, 2002
    A couple better photos:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

80sKid, Chariotz4, toxophilus and 2 others like this.
  7. RipD

RipD Basic Member Basic Member

Dec 10, 2014
    For those who have one, how is the gimping on the bottom of the liners in your hand? I get why it's there given the smooth scales. Uncomfortable at all? I'm with others on the grind: I prefer an FFG for cutting, but the hollow grind looks great on this. If I didn't already have a 4V Para 3 I'd be have ordered one already. Great looking knife. Manix is a little larger than I like to EDC, esp in an office. This is compelling.

8. M. Johnwell

M. Johnwell

Jan 8, 2015
    I hardly even notice the jimping on the bottom. The jimping on the thumb ramp portion of the handle is the one that I think is a bit uncomfortable, but it’s not really enough to even complain about for me.

RipD likes this.
  9. kniferbro

kniferbro

Jan 22, 2011
    Gorgeous pic!

abbazaba likes this.
  10. DRLyman

DRLyman Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 25, 2016
    Your pictures are doing this knife justice. It's your pic that sold me on it and made me order one. Easily the best picture of this knife on this thread.

abbazaba likes this.
  11. abbazaba

Oct 30, 2015
    Thanks! You will not be disappointed. I'm having trouble not buying a second to have as a backup to my user.

[​IMG]

12. DRLyman

Jun 25, 2016
    From the look of it in your pictures, I can see why. Just got the tracking number, so I should have it later this week and finally get to see and hold one in person.

13. wire edge

wire edge Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 6, 2001
    Abbazaba, did you put the black clip on it or did it ship that way?

14. abbazaba

Oct 30, 2015
    The knife ships with a polished clip, which matches the knife quite nicely. Black clip was my addition. This knife has far more bling than my usual tastes!

15. wire edge

wire edge Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 6, 2001
    Ok, I thought it shipped with a shiny clip. I prefer the black clip on darker handles. Looks really good!

16. JackTheKnifeGuy

JackTheKnifeGuy Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 12, 2017
    Just got mine in and WOW. JUST WOW.
    A little uneven in the hollow grind but im not even upset. Perfect fit and finish everywhere else. and don't even get me started on the carbon fiber,
    B-E-A-Utiful.

For the love of God somebody Patina this beauty with a splatter finish to match the Handle. That would be amazing. I would but i don't have the experience sadly..

17. Beak14

Beak14 Platinum Member Platinum Member

Nov 13, 2015
    Got mine, and they're far better looking in person, than they are, in pictures, IMO. As you can imagine, the scales are off-the-hook, beautiful! If you collect Manix 2's, I think this is a got to have! I'm not the biggest fan of the Manix 2, but I really do like this knife!

18. Barman1

Barman1 Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 21, 2013
    The hollow ground 4V went through 2 ply cardboard tonight like it was paper.
    Thanks Spyderco for getting the grind right on this one, I was getting a bit broke sending my knives off for regrinds.(Only 1 Spyderco though, the Tuff, and holy crap that thing was a slicing beast when I got it back from REK!)
    I'm going to see how long it takes for this Manix to get duller than I usually tolerate before I resharpen it. Should be an enlightening experiment.

19. M. Johnwell

M. Johnwell

Jan 8, 2015
    Just Rockwell tested mine, came in at 64.

20. DRLyman

Jun 25, 2016
    Received mine today and am really impressed with it. I love the look of this knife. The marble CF scales look great and change their look when turned or moved in the light. The knife is perfect in every way. No blade play, centered, easily opened and snaps closed. I rubbed the blade down with the Tuf-Cloth and it's ready to go. The Manix is my favorite Spyderco knife and now this one is my favorite Manix. :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

abbazaba likes this.