• The rules for The Exchange can be found here. Please read and follow them. Stop using Paypal Friends & Family and follow our best practices to prevent getting ripped off or having a bad deal.

5" Santoku and Bocote!!!

Here is another 5" santoku with Bocote scales and a very thin 1095 with a differentially hardened blade!!

OAL- 9 3/8"

blade- 5 1/16" long, .062" thick at the spine, and .010" thick behind the edge at the heel. 1 11/16" wide

steel- 1095 high carbon, differentially hardened. heat treat includes a double normalize, double anneal, double edge quench { about half of the blades width} and triple temper for a really nice performing blade that takes and holds a great edge and yet is easy to resharpen!

grind- a full flat grind, sharpened on a Norton Fine India stone with micro bevels, to an agressive razor edge

finish- 400 grit machine finish under a scotchbrite belt finish, with firescale finish on the spine,

handle- Bocote scales, with stainless corby bolts. handle is finished with 220 grit with the lines running across the handle so it looks good yet isn't slick

sheath- no sheath on this one, but I can make one if needed for an extra $20.

I haven't come up with a standard of tests for kitchen knives yet, but I did test this one out on a 1/2" manila rope that I use on my hunters. this is very coarse and abrasive rope that is very hard on an edge. this knife went 101 cuts on the rope before it required a 2 pound gain in force to complete each cut. the first cut required 14 pounds, and the 101th cut took 16 pounds on my cutting board scale {14 pounds includes the weight of the cutting board, the rope, and the weight of my hand to hold the rope}. It also passed several edge flexes on the brass rod test. she fell through carrots and potatoes, cut straight to the board, with very little pressure, Im going to have to make me one of these now!

the prototype of this knife design did very close to the same in cutting performance, and then after we cooked lunch with it to check performance in the kitchen, we cut more rope, did 12 edge flexes on each side with no chipping or rolling, and then clamped her in a vise and she did 4- 90 degree flexes { 2 in each direction, I cant tell how many foot pounds of torque were required as my torque wrench is set for narrow tang hunters and couldn't attach it to the handle} without breaking or the edge cracking. after the last flex, I straightened her out, and plan to put a handle on her and use her for a new leather knife.

$95 plus $5 for shiping/insurance to CONUS. I can accept paypal Joe357m@bresnan.net or money order, or silver at spot price.

1st to post "I'll take it" gets it!!!

406875982.jpg

406875983.jpg

406875984.jpg

Ships within 48 hours of payment priority with ins.

Feedback appreciated, and thanks for looking!

If you would like one like this one or different, PM or email with details!

I will take this knife and I already sent you a pm. I will send the funds shortly.

Joe thank you for all your help, I'll let you know when I get it.

Tony.

Back