5 Woodsmen for Knives Ship Free

Fiddleback

Knifemaker
The first 5 Woodsmen are ready to ship out to Derrick! Thought you'd like a little preview...

ksf103_1051-vi.jpg

ksf103_1055-vi.jpg

The woods L to R are: Ironwood, stabalized dyed curly Maple, Masur Birch, ivory paper micarta, and black over nat canvas micarta. All sport convex sabregrinds.

Fantastic looking bunch Andy! Those wooden handles are something else :thumbup:

I think that is one of the best handle shapes around.

Also two of my favorite woods. The Curley Maple and the Birch.

Andy?

I hope you are getting as much satisfaction as you are giving.

Andy?

I hope you are getting as much satisfaction as you are giving.

Plus he doesn't use PHOTOBUCKET to host his pictures so I can see them.:thumbup:

There are whole makers forums here that I can't see any of their work because every single pic in their forum is PHOTOBUCKET and all I get is red X's.

That's one reason I stop here and comment often besides the quality of the eye candy. I can actually see the pics.

Those look fantastic! You didn't happen to take individual pictures did you?

Sweet.:)

I wonder if I can convince my wife that I need another Woodsman. You know, one for the left hand. For those pesky "two hand" camping chores.:D

I am realling liking that birch. Is that stabilized?

No. Its a stable wood. A bit soft, but the aging it does as it dings is really gorgeous. Maybe someone will show a nice worn in Scandi with it. I really like it. Haven't had any stabalized yet. I've been warned to expect mixed results.

Those look fantastic! You didn't happen to take individual pictures did you?

No. But I will if you'd like!

Sweet.:)

I wonder if I can convince my wife that I need another Woodsman. You know, one for the left hand. For those pesky "two hand" camping chores.:D

Jamey, did you know Dick Singer?

it would be great if you could take individual pics...then I could put them up.

No. Its a stable wood. A bit soft, but the aging it does as it dings is really gorgeous. Maybe someone will show a nice worn in Scandi with it. I really like it. Haven't had any stabalized yet. I've been warned to expect mixed results.

IMG_1699-vi.jpg

^ this one sports some pretty old stuff ( was my first fixed blade). The main reason I was wondering was that if that were stabilized, that would be the best peice of stabilized I have seen. How much does it caost to have the Masur birch added to a knife? I am considering changing my ladyfinger.

The natural nendancy of wood it to move/warp depending on fluctuations in humidity/moisture. Some woods do this more dramatically than others. If it is stabilized, it will not move/warp at all.

Stabilized woods are impregnated with a resin that makes it look natural but perform like a synthetic.

IMG_1699-vi.jpg

^ this one sports some pretty old stuff ( was my first fixed blade). The main reason I was wondering was that if that were stabilized, that would be the best peice of stabilized I have seen. How much does it caost to have the Masur birch added to a knife? I am considering changing my ladyfinger.

$20 for the Masur. If I had it stabalized it goes up. But I don't have any in the box going out today.

can someone explain stabilized to me?

Stabalized wood has been submerged in a resin, and then put in a vacuum champer sucking the resin throughout the wood. This prevents some of the water being absorbed by and evaporating from the wood, reducing warp, and also makes soft woods harder.

The natural nendancy of wood it to move/warp depending on fluctuations in humidity/moisture. Some woods do this more dramatically than others. If it is stabilized, it will not move/warp at all.

Not true. I have stabalized woods warp on me all the time, and they also still absorb some water. (All my stabalizing thus far has been done at WSSI.) It reduces tendencies, but its not 100%.

What type of steel are these?

These are 01 steel.

Back