6 inch MILITARY

Cobalt

Gold Member
Come on Sal, you know you want to do this. 3/16 thick, flat ground like the smaller brethren with the rekat lock. This could be the ultimate CA folder.

It's mega folder fever!

Sal could actually get around some of the legality issues of a huge folder by claiming that they are being manufactured as store display knives. "Well your honor, we made those 8 inch bladed Military folders as store displays, we had no idea that people actually carry them! Honest."
Wink, wink, nudge, nudge, say no more, know what I mean!

It must be pretty hard having the resources (and probably the desire) to make a big muther folder like this BUT having to consider company image, legal ramifications, long-term profitability, and on and on and on.

Spyderco could do this right, but should it be done? It would be at the top of my buy list if it came out.

Sal, you must enjoy tough decisions like this one.
wink.gif

Sal,

market it as a kitchen knife. You know...a sorta meat cleaver/utility knife combo. With that humpback blade it kinda looks meat-cleaver like...yeah. Sure.

As to why it folds....uhm....travelling chefs? Its a niche market, to be certain...but spyderco is dedicated to meeting the needs of the public, right?

wink.gif

Mike

------------------
And in the Captain's chambers
they're gathered for the feast.
They stab it with their steely knives
but they just can't kill the beast

6 inch Military?! Now you got my attention
biggrin.gif
Sounds like a good piece to use the Rolling Lock!

------------------
Dexter Ewing
Knife Reviews Moderator

"The keystroke is mightier than the sword"

That's it Sal, the 6" Military folding Kitchen knife. Perfect.

I like my Military, and would LOVE a smaller scale Military. But now that I think about it, a six or even an eight inch Military would be very nice. Even better, a two-handed Military... with an eighteen inch blade!

Yeah, and Sal, while you're at it, I could really use an 8" Cricket
smile.gif

Maybe I'm nuts, but I just don't get the "big folder" mania. I went to a local gun and knife store this weekend to check out a few blades, and finally got a chance to see a CS Gunsite folder. It seems just too darned unwieldly to do anything with. Plus, carrying a piece of steel in your pocket that big creates a bulge making you look like the local neighborhood pervert
smile.gif

Seriously though, just because CA no longer has length limits on folders, does that mean we have to go whole hog on making 'big' versions of everything? Seems like a distinctly American attitude. Maybe thats why our kids are so obese (1 liter pepsis and giant dorito bags) and we pay so much for oil (with our 8MPG Dodge "tank" Durangos)
smile.gif

Freud would have a bloody field day with this group
wink.gif

all in fun,
...tm

Ok, Sal, can you make TOM a 1 inch bladed military. Tom, please don't get military envy when someone else is around with their 6 inch Military. hehe.

Tom:

I didn't understand megafolder mania either, until one day I went into the local knife shop and asked my dealer friend, "What's a good deal today?" He showed me a Vaquero Grande.

You're right, nobody needs a knife like that . . . until you swing that thing open, with a "clack" that needs to be felt as well as heard. I'm not arguing with you
smile.gif
but have you ever tried slicing up a fresh pineapple with a normal, "practical sized" knife?

There are a lot of things I don't like about Cold Steel, or Lynn Thompson's marketing approach, or even the Vaquero Grande itself, but I do like the fact that it's BIG. Carry it in your back pocket--no sheath or clip is necessary. Big, yes, but no big deal. You'll see. It'll grow on you after a while.
smile.gif

I don't expect Spyderco to make a megafolder, but I'm glad some folks are doing it.

David Rock

------------------
Never carry a knife shorter than your schnoz.

[This message has been edited by David Rock (edited 06 April 1999).]

Tom,

When I first handled my VG, I thought it was unweildly as well, but as with everything new, it does take time to get used to it. After you get used to a big knife, you never want to go back. I put a clip on mine, and carry it almost daily. no-one has noticed or mentioned it, and it does not seem to draw any attention unless I klack it out, and perhaps no-one notices the bulge it makes because there is a bigger bulge nearby.....
smile.gif

YeK

DDP....Grrrrrrr

[This message has been edited by Yekim (edited 06 April 1999).]

Yes, you are right about the Vaquero Grande. It has about the same effect on people as does my H.I. khukuri when I pull them out. Eyes pop open wide. I think a larger military would do the same.

The imtimidation factor of a larger military would be very satisfying - if you ever needed it! Sometimes it's just the thought of it that is satisfying. I'm assuming it would have that wonderful klickklack sound and feel that the VG has when it is deployed.
smile.gif

The BFPK (big folding picnic knife) should be easier to clean than most folders. The folder design that offers the fewest places for gunk to hide in, to fester or jam, relatively simple disassembly for cleaning, and also a lot of strength, is the Chris Reeve Sebenza.

Now that would be a nice custom collaboration!

Chris Reeve, perhaps sensibly, doesn't make folders larger than a standard Sebenza. A "normal size" Spyderco-Reeve would be something that would make me sew another pocket onto my pants to make room for it. A mega-size (with Mr. Reeve mumbling "why" all the way) would be awesome.

But it wouldn't in any way resemble a Military. I'm not sure why I'd want a scaled-up military unless I had hands like Sasquatch. I would, however, want a big folder shaped so that the whole edge can be brought down on a flat surface (like a cutting board) for when I'm cutting up pineapples.

------------------
- JKM
www.chaicutlery.com

James Mattis:

Let me tell you about a little kitchen trick I learned: try situating the cutting board closer to the edge of the counter.
wink.gif
(One advantage of a megafolder is that the blade is so long that you can have the huge, curved handle hanging over the edge of the counter, and still reach the pineapple in the middle!)

David Rock

------------------
Never carry a knife shorter than your schnoz.

What is it with all you guys cutting pineapples with your big folders?! :0 Am I missing something here?
redface.gif

O_D

Outlaw, Try a watermelon!

Cliff, wouldn't it be nice. Always trying to get more of the big blades. So two it is, then. hehe.

Back