• The rules for The Exchange can be found here. Please read and follow them. Stop using Paypal Friends & Family and follow our best practices to prevent getting ripped off or having a bad deal.

65 HRC 'Spicy white' steel/Desert ironwood burl (SOLD)

BogdanS

Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider
Hello dear brothers,

First of all we thank Good God that we are all fine and healthy and i really wish and hope that all of you are the same!

After some time off due to this unpleasant situation that led to delays in supply of the necessary knife making material, thanks Good God i managed to take one step further and add to our portfolio a magnificent carbon steel - 'the spicy white' or more 'chart like' 26C3
I am simply in love with this material yet we will have to see what you will all say; I must admit that the key point of this guy is it's extraordinary hardness that goes to 68 HRC after HT. I of course could not leave it like this as the - in toughness would make it brittle so using manufacturers recommendation i took it to a little over 65 HRC, still a hardness beast on it's own upload_2020-4-1_20-51-31.gif:)

Now i must tell you that you should not treat this as an axe as unpleasant surprises might arise; it is simply a cutting champion with an extremely pure composition, super fine grain and 'over sized' hardness.

To go nice with this strong and exclusive blade i used a pair of A grade desert ironwood scales that are simply magnificent. Simple, shiny buffed fittings for a non bling bling blade upload_2020-4-1_20-51-31.gif

Overall this would measure app 8.1" with an app 4" blade.

The price for this guy is only 175 usd (a crisis price as promised and if you don't believe me just take into consideration that the ironwood burl scales alone cost me 57 usd upload_2020-4-1_20-51-31.gif). Please ad 35 usd for a nice vegetable tanned thick ox leather sheath (made by my lovely wife on request).

All the best brothers, God bless,
Bogdan

upload_2020-4-1_20-51-31.gif upload_2020-4-1_20-51-31.gif upload_2020-4-1_20-51-31.gif 11.jpg

155 usd for the next 24 hours - it'll get back to the initial price after that upload_2020-4-1_23-36-29.gif;)

All the best brothers, God bless,
Bogdan

tyyreaun tyyreaun - thank you so very much my dear brother, may it serve you well! We really appreciate your support! ;)

All and only the best to you and your beloved, God bless,
Bogdan

Nice knife! May I ask please...

Do you think the steel at the hardness you made it is tough enough to withstand bushcraft duties without chipping or breaking, such as using the tip to make a shallow hole in a hearth board for a bow drill?

on_the_edge on_the_edge - thanks a lot dear brother for your kind appreciation! As i stated in the OP the knife is made and recommended for tasks that do not involve it's toughness as primary attribute but it's hardness as it will have a very long lasting fine edge for prolonged slicing, soft carving, food prep etc

Now, the manufacturer told us that at 65 HRC it is still tough enough for the tasks mentioned above and hard enough to overtake 'competiotor' steels like 1095 for example. Do not forget that it gets down to 65 hrc from over 68 hrc after quench so it is supposed to be in the middle of it's 'attribute' chart ;)

Sure thing that only the users will tell the real truth but my tests did not show any tendency of brittleness.

All and only the best brothers, God bless,
Bogdan

Back