• The rules for The Exchange can be found here. Please read and follow them. Stop using Paypal Friends & Family and follow our best practices to prevent getting ripped off or having a bad deal.

8" Mosaic Damascus Dark Rider

Hello BladeForum! This is my First time posting so if any mistake let me know. I am a young bladsmith interested in making mosaic damascus and unique knives.

This knife that I am posting is Integral Bolster Mosaic Damascus Steak Knife.

Total Length= 13.5 inches
Blade Length = 8 inches
Handle Length = 5.5 inches

Handle material on this knife is Ebony Wood looks Sweet. This Knife comes with leather sheath.
What I am Looking for this knife is 390 USD and i will cover Shipping and Paypal Fees.
PicsArt_10-29-03.07.11.jpgPicsArt_09-12-06.46.11.jpg PicsArt_10-22-07.51.19.jpg PicsArt_10-29-03.09.47.jpg

What I am Looking for is Some Support from you guyz in my journey of making Mosaic Damascus I hope you will Support me.
Thanks let me know in COMMENTS what you think about this knife.PicsArt_10-29-03.07.11.jpg

That is beautiful and unique, the last question is it hard and thin? I would pick this up in a second if I had a needed a 8” blade. Make a 6” chef knife thin and hard, I’d be all over it as would a bunch of other members. Price is on the lower side for that work of art though.

That is beautiful and unique, the last question is it hard and thin? I would pick this up in a second if I had a needed a 8” blade. Make a 6” chef knife thin and hard, I’d be all over it as would a bunch of other members. Price is on the lower side for that work of art though.
hey thanks thickness of this knife gradually decreases. It is 3mm at the start after the end of bolster in the middle it is 2 mm and at the Tip it is 1 mm thick. the HRC of this one is 60+. New to knife making hopefully will catch up with the pricing20201029_213736.jpg

I wish this one were hollow!
I designd it to be a steak knife I am still new in this knife making i did not even know that there is something like hollow grind figured it out after it was completed however if you want this knife i can make it hollow will take few days.

I designd it to be a steak knife I am still new in this knife making i did not even know that there is something like hollow grind figured it out after it was completed however if you want this knife i can make it hollow will take few days.

The 'want' is strong, the 'can afford' is not.

This is really large for a steak knife, you're into cooking knife territory here. And this is one I would use, for sure! It's hard to believe you're new to this, the workmanship here is amazing.

The 'want' is strong, the 'can afford' is not.

This is really large for a steak knife, you're into cooking knife territory here. And this is one I would use, for sure! It's hard to believe you're new to this, the workmanship here is amazing.
Hey thanks for the compliment I have made few other mosaic patterns also and have many in mind also so if in future you want a Custom knife just let me know it will be a pleasure to make one for you.

That is a beauty! I sent you a PM with a couple questions. Keep up the fine workmanship.

Who did the heat treat and how was the RC tested?

Also, about the tang....... It appears that the blade goes from ground blade thickness, back up to a thick bolster where it meets a separate “collar”. Is that correct or a I missing something? If so, that’s pretty unusual, and I would imagine it’s a place that lends itself to loosening/gap over time if the handle to tang is not super tight and fixed. And what about the tang itself, thick, thin, full, short, etc? Handle epoxied only?

Certainly not knocking your work as it appears to be very nice, especially from someone so young, just wondering as a potential end user. My kitchen knives get used, not looked at.

Last edited:
Who did the heat treat and how was the RC tested?

Also, about the tang....... It appears that the blade goes from ground blade thickness, back up to a thick bolster where it meets a separate “collar”. Is that correct or a I missing something? If so, that’s pretty unusual, and I would imagine it’s a place that lends itself to loosening/gap over time if the handle to tang is not super tight and fixed. And what about the tang itself, thick, thin, full, short, etc? Handle epoxied only?

Certainly not knocking your work as it appears to be very nice, especially from someone so young, just wondering as a potential end user. My kitchen knives get used, not looked at.
Thanks for your question the HRC on the blade is expected to be 61. I am going to be honest I have not done any test except for the file test it slides off perfectly.
This Knife has a Hidden Tang that goes all the way back in the handle. I wanted to make this knife a little different so I added an other damascus stock after the integral bolster. The side where the integral bolster and the damascus stock meet is leveled so there are no gaps plus the damascus stock is also welded to the tang before i added the handle. As far as the handle is considered it is held with epoxy so not going any where.
I understand the mind set of chef as some of my friends work professionally as chef so they regularly advice me how to improve my knives. As far as this one is considered it is designed to be used regularly as well as look stunning at the same time.
I hope that answers your question if you still have some let me know
Thanks

Thanks for your question the HRC on the blade is expected to be 61. I am going to be honest I have not done any test except for the file test it slides off perfectly.

Thanks for the honest answer. Reason I asked about the professional heat treat/testing is because a blade can potentially be different RC if not heated/quenched properly.

plus the damascus stock is also welded to the tang before i added the handle. As far as the handle is considered it is held with epoxy so not going any where.

So, if I understand correctly, the forging is not the entire knife? You welded an additional piece onto the integral portion which ends somewhere after the bolster? Or am I reading that incorrectly (and if so, please let me know so that the wrong info is not posted). If it is correct, may I ask why you chose to do that, as obviously, that weld can be a weak spot.

Thanks for the reply.

Thanks for the honest answer. Reason I asked about the professional heat treat/testing is because a blade can potentially be different RC if not heated/quenched properly.

So, if I understand correctly, the forging is not the entire knife? You welded an additional piece onto the integral portion which ends somewhere after the bolster? Or am I reading that incorrectly (and if so, please let me know so that the wrong info is not posted). If it is correct, may I ask why you chose to do that, as obviously, that weld can be a weak spot.

Thanks for the reply.
20201104_210833.jpg The Part that is in Red Circle is Integral Bolster it is not welded. The blade the bolster and the tang are all 1 piece not welded at any part.
The part that is circled in blue is a saperate damascus ring that I have added on top of tang and welded it in place. As i have mentioned before I just wanted to give it a different look wanted to make a unique knife from rest of knives out there.
I hope that answers your question.

That certainly answers the question and is much clearer now. Thanks

No doubt, you are well on your way to making high quality knives and the fact that they are artistic makes it even better!

Please forgivem aging eyes, but due to view angle in some pictures the transition from blade to bolster appears to be a very crisp sharp corner and in others I seem to detect a slightly radiused corner. How is that transition made? Thank you in advance.

Please let me know if there is any trouble getting my profile email address for answers to the PM questions.

Back