• The rules for The Exchange can be found here. Please read and follow them. Stop using Paypal Friends & Family and follow our best practices to prevent getting ripped off or having a bad deal.

9 Gurkhas Kukri vendors listed (any opinions on who is the Offical Vendor)?

I asked this on http://www.frugalsquirrels.com/vb/showthread.php?t=167305 and they referred me to this excellent site.

I want an official Army Kukri’s not a fake and not the highest quality non-official. Which vendor is real to purchase real official British Army Gurkhas Kukri?

From the following vendors: If I want an official Kukri from:
British Army Gurkhas = The Khukuri House or the Khukuri Palace
Nepal Army = Nepalese Khukuri House
Indian Army Gurkhas = By-The-Sword, Inc.

Any other facts that I am missing?

Listed in no order!

The Khukuri House.
http://www.gurkhas-kukris.com)
http://www.thekhukurihouse.com)
khukurihouseonline.com
Claims to be the “only” official Khukuri/Kukri supplier to the British Gurkhas.
The official kukri supplier to the defense ministry of UK since 1993
Nepal's first and the largest manufacturer of genuine kukris since 1991
Khukuri house is the manufacturer and distributor of the finest Khukuris (Kukris) in Nepal. Established by Mr. Lalit Kumar Lama, an ex-British Gurkha Warrant Officer, and is the only supplier of khukuris (kukris) to the British Gurkha Units, the Gurkha Contingent of Singapore Police, the Gurkha Reserve unit in Brunei and the Gurkha Museum in the UK. The House now sends it's knives (Khukuris) to number of shops and countless individuals all over the world as well in retaining it's products in Kathmandu.
Service No. 1 (Current Issue)
Among all khukuris, Service no.1 is the most famous because of its close association with the Gurkha soldiers. It is issued to all British Gurkha soldiers on enlistment and they retain it throughout their army career. This knife is used during regular parade and also worn on duty. The blade is inscribed with recruitment date of each soldier. Senior officers regularly inspect it. This is the simplest of all khukuris. The scabbard has a twin stripes and brass bottoms at the back for the belt to go through, unlike other khukuris. Size of blade: 10 inch. Materials: Water buffalo leather scabbard, water buffalo horn handle, twin belt loops, 2 x small knives Origin: Dharan, Eastern Nepal. $29.99
Service Ceremonial (Dress Knife)
This is the second knife issued to Gurkha Soldiers. It is the dressed knife worn only on special occasion and therefore the name and the quality. The scabbard is made of best quality pattern leather to give extra shine and smartness to the uniform. Gurkhas carry this khukuri on events like "Ceremonial Khukuri Drill" and present it before high-ranking military officers or VIP dignitaries. During the presentation they withdraw the khukuri from scabbard and hold it out for the guest to inspect. The blade is also skillfully crafted and recruitment date of each soldier is engraved. A soldier retains this khukuri throughout their army career and is a prize possession after retirement. Twin belt stripes are fitted at the back portion of its scabbard. Size of blade: 10 inch. Materials: High quality pattern leather, water buffalo horn handle, twin belt loops, 2 x small knives. Origin: Dharan, Eastern Nepal. $34.99

Khukuri Palace
(www.khukuriplace.com).
(www.gurkhaknives.com)
Claims to be RECOGNIZED by U.S.MARINE CORPS
Claims they are the current KHUKURI SUPPLIER to BRITISH GURKHAS. They show two British Kukri contracts dated 18 Oct 2004 and one in 27 Oct 2005 on their website.
Army Sevice No. 1. This Khukuri weighs 700gms. measures 15" with the handle and which has a 10.5" long blade. This is most common and popular khukuri amongst the Gurkha soldiers. This khukuri is provided to all the British Gurkha soldiers during enlistment and is retained by them throughout their army career. Inspected regularly by an officer, this knife is usually used during a parade and combat. The handle which is made of buffalo horn and the sheathe which is made of buffalo leather adds to its uniqueness. $27
Service Ceremonial. The Gurkhas carry this khukuri on special occasions like ceremonial khukuri drill before high ranking officers or dignitaries. The Gurkhas withdraw the khukuri from the scabbard and display out for inspection with their rifle between their knees as a mark of respect to the officers and dignitaries. This knife is made from highly polished graded carbon steel which is 15" long including the handle and the scabbard is made of best quality patent leather and weighs 700 gms. $35
Army Jungle
This is the unpolished standard size khukuri used by Gurkha soldier for
tactical jungle warfare. When the Gurkha soldier joins the British Army they get this khukuri during training session. It has 10.5" long blade and
measures 15" with handle. This Khukuri always comes with buffalo horn handle and weigh 700 gms. $24
Nepal Army
This khukuri is issued to Royal Nepal Army and Police Armed Force. It has 9" long highly graded carbon steel blade with 4" long buffalo horn handle and the Armed Police or Police use it with rosewood handle. It has a buffalo leather scabbard. This is one of the simplest khukuri made in Dharan (a place in Eastern Nepal) and weighs 600 gms. $24

By-The-Sword, Inc. (http://www.by-the-sword.com).
Claims…Genuine military issue to Gurkha Regiments in India.
#4 00484 Genuine Gurkha Kukri
Hand forged from high carbon steel. Each comes with regulation sheath. Used with devastating effectiveness by the famous Gurkhas of Nepal in the Siege of Delhi in 1857, in the trenches of WWI France, throughout the New Guinea jungle in WWII, and with distinction in the Falkland Islands. The 12" blade is an impressive 1/4" thick with deep grooves and the traditional religious notch. Takes a good, sharp edge. Scale tang. Traditional, native hardwood handle. Standard metal butt plate. 17" overall. Wt. 1 lb. 6 oz. Genuine military issue to Gurkha Regiments in India. The only Kukri on the market that comes with a copy of the 8-page government contract, the ordnance drawing, and spec sheet. Includes accessory knives. $30. MEASUREMENTS:
Overall - 17", Blade- 12" long, 1/4" thick, Wt. 1lbs 06 oz.
#400022 Officer's Kukri
Hand forged from high carbon steel. Each comes with regulation sheath. Powerful chopping knife issued to Gurkha Officers in India. The 9 1/2" long blade is a hefty 3/16" thick. The contoured handle is genuine buffalo horn. Brass pommel and bolster. 14" overall. Wt. 1 lb. Comes with 2 accessory knives. $35. MEASUREMENTS: Overall - 14", Blade- 9 1/2" long, 3/16" thick, Wt. 1lb
#500448 GIGANTIC CEREMONIAL KUKRI
Hand forged from high carbon steel. Each comes with regulation sheath. Beheads water buffaloes with a single stroke for the traditional Gurkha sacred ceremony. Very scarce! Only one issued to each Gurkha Regiment in India. Specially carved native hardwood handle. Polished steel blade is a staggering 3/8" thick and more than 2 1/2 feet long. Weighs 4 lbs. 6 oz. $95. MEASUREMENTS: Blade- 2 1/2 feet long, 3/8" thick, Wt. 4lbs 6 oz.
#400578 Assam Rifles Kukri
Hand forged from high carbon steel. Each comes with regulation sheath. Issued to the Gurkhas Assam Rifles Regiment. This kukri has a 13 1/2" long blade that is double fullered. Also features the traditional religious notch that is symbolic of the trident (3 pronged spear) of Shiva. At a little over 1/4" thick, this is a very powerful chopping blade. The polished, native hardwood handle is reinforced by a brass bolster and a brass pommel with a raised lion's head decoration. 18" overall. Wt. 1 lb. 4 oz. $40. MEASUREMENTS: Overall - 18", Wt. 1lb 4oz
----Atlanta Cuttery sells the same ones, but with shipping was more expensive for the four Nepal Kukri.

Nepalese Khukuri House (http://www.nepalesekhukuri.com).
Claims the official Khukuri supplier to Gurkha unit in Kathmandu, Royal Nepalese Army and Nepal Police.
Product Title :: Nepalese Army
Product Id :: KH0007
Price :: US$ 55.00
Overall Length :: 14.00 inch(es)
Shipping Weight :: 1.50 kg(s)
This type of Khukuri is the simplest one, which is used in warfare or in civil life by Royal Nepal army or police Armed forces in Nepal. It is made in Dharan, a small hilly town in Eastern Nepal, using highly graded carbon steel for the blade and the Buffalo leather for the sheath. Especially it us issued for the traditionally Gurkha soldiers who still serves in Royal Nepal army. The blade is 9" long and the measures 13.5" with the handle made of buffalo horn. It weighs 550 grams. The total shipping weight including display wooden stand with packing will be 1.5 kg.
Product Title :: Nepal Army(Ceremonial)
Product Id :: KH0008
Price :: US$ 60.00
Overall Length :: 14.00 inch(es)
Shipping Weight :: 1.50 kg(s)
This is another model issued to Royal Nepalese Army. It is similar to Nepal Army model except the scabbard which is made of high quality patent leather. This standard sized knife (14" overall length) is made from high graded carbon steel. The Royal Nepalese Army carry this Khukuri on special events like ceremonial Khukuri drill presented before high ranking military officers or VVIP dignitaries. During the presentation of the drill the Royal soldiers withdraw the Khukuri from the scabbard and hold it out for guest inspection with their rifle between their knees. This action is a form of felicitation of the officers and the guests. It weighs 600 grams. The total shipping weight including display wooden stand with packing will be 1.5 kg.
They also sell the British Service No. 1, British Service No.2 (Ceremonial), and the Standard Jungle (PRI) Type

Himalayan Imports (HI) (http://www.himalayan-imports.com). Don't claim, but sells British Army Service (BAS) Kukri for $100. Their second best seller. This is the same size and style khukuri (but considerably better quality) that is carried by present day Gurkhas serving in the British Army. 15 inches, horn handle, Wt. 1.25lbs. Battle tested and proven. I would like the $125 WW11 type Kukri from them.

Reliks.com in Canada (http://www.reliks.com). The Assam Rifles Gurkha Kukri is hand forged from high carbon steel. Each comes with regulation sheath. Issued to the Gurkhas Assam Rifles Regiment. This Gurkha kukri has a 13 1/2" long blade that is double fullered. Also features the traditional religious notch that is symbolic of the trident (3 pronged spear) of Shiva. At a little over 1/4" thick, this is a very powerful chopping blade. The polished, native hardwood handle is reinforced by a brass bolster and a brass pommel with a raised lion's head decoration. Made by the government contractor Windlass Steelcrafts. 18" overall. Wt. 1 lb. 4 oz.

Sarcoinc (http://www.sarcoinc.com). E) Military 12 inch Khukuri. Has heavier blade, scabbard, and handle twice the size of "B" above. A very hefty knife. BAY044 $17.50.

Budk. (http://budk.com/product.asp_Q_pn_E_BK952)
This ancient weapon was once used during WWI when the Gurhkas of India and Nepal battled to become dominant leaders. This 12" modern recreation features a curved 7 1/2" stainless steel blade with classic black handle. The black custom sheath is accented with brass plated details and houses the knife s

I wish I could help you but I don't know. I would suggest actually going to their official internet sites ( http://www.army.mod.uk/brigade_of_gurkhas/ ) and asking them. Also, being in the military I know they don't always buy the best even when it can be had cheaper. But if you are not planning on using it then it doesn't matter and good luck with your hunt.

GrayWall04

I don't know who is the official military supplier but I would suggest going with Himalayan Imports.

The Nepalese government probably goes with several manufacturers much like the USMC Fighting Knife is made by Kabar, Camillus, and Ontario. And the Swiss Army issue knife is made by both Victorinox and Wenger.

By-The-Sword doesn't make any of their items, they are just a vender. Windlass is the ones who make the khukuris on their site. Which is why Atlanta Cutlery has them.

There are Ghurkas in the UK military (few in number) and Ghorkas in the Indian Army (1000's). Supply of khukuri is by competitive bid and different companies can say they made issue khukuri. Best source on current official makers would be Spiral at above-mentioned Tora forum or at Himilayan Imports Forum here at BF. I think it has been discussed before.

Why do you want a khukuri made by the cheapest bidder?

Go with the Kukhuri House. They are the best dealers in Nepal. I know this because I've spent time there and most of my Nepal soldiers we worked with said its the best if you're gonna buy from a store. The Marines (Embassy) there buy tons every month from them. We got ours from there and some of the Nepali troops gave us some from where they live. Most had homemade looking ones but alot of others had Kukhuris that are essentially the same as the Service No 1 from the Kukhuri House.

Not official:

"This is the same size and style khukuri (but considerably better quality) that is carried by present day Gurkhas serving in the British Army. "

KH sent me this e-mail:
KH_Nepal [customercare@thekhukurihouse.com] 10% Off (military Discount)
Thank you and yes we still honor the discount. Pls feel free to write to us the kukris you want then I will quote the total price with the discount and shipping to the USA (H/W delivery). Yes the standard engraving in the OIFK can be customized. "Operation Enduring Freedom, Afghanistan" is very much possible. Our large stand would fit a kukri with the overall length of 25 inches. In your case I will have to make a slightly larger one which is possible for us. Firstly pls mention what you want and how many then we can work out the price. Lastly, we look forward to serving your order.
Namaste,
Saroj lama

I have worked with UK trained Gurkhas which might be the best infantry in the world. I ordered some below and love the authentic hand made Gurkhas knives. Wanted a "Operation Enduring Freedom, Afghanistan" Desert Kukuri
KH wanted to charge 6% credit card fee (I split it with him) on a $300 order.
Shipping from Nepal
Have them, but yet to see them as they are at my house in the USA.
Jim
Afghanistan

I ORDERED:
Kukri, Regimental Kothi (Honor), 800 gm, Silver case, 10” Blade
Kukri, Service No 2, 800 gm Water Buffalo Scabbard, 10” Blade
Kukri, Operation Enduring Freedom (Afghanistan), 1100 gm,
-Leather Scabbard, 11” Blade, Listed as OIF, They made OEF for me!
Kukri, Nepal Army (National Issue), 600 gm, Water Buffalo Scabbard
Biltong Khukuri (Pocket knife), 150 gm, Water Buffalo Scabbard, 5” blade (free)
Kukri, Ashna (Seesau) Wood Stand, (for 9.5-13.5 blades)
Kukri, Ashna (Seesau) Wood Stand, (for 30” blade)

Might next want?
WWII, Jungle, or Service No 1

1. We generally discourage raising the dead, but information may be useful, so we can continue what is, after all, not the most common discussion.

Information from the manufacturers themselves, of course, is what we call advertising.

2. Atlanta Cutlery is Windlass Steelcrafts, from India.

3. BudK is a joke.

I am very glad this was raised from the dead. I'm looking into different sort of knives to start a collection and kukris have been the hardest to find reliable information about

Reactions: vba
I am very glad this was raised from the dead. I'm looking into different sort of knives to start a collection and kukris have been the hardest to find reliable information about

Himalayan Imports is the only name you need to know. I have owned and collected kukris from vintage to modern from all makers and Himalayan Imports hands down makes the best traditionally made Kukri currently available. The only noteworthy possible exception is GK kukris located here on the forum. Tora makes beautiful kukris but their quality control is not up to the the standards of the other two. Two of the three Toras I've owned had serious heat treatment issues and poor blade geometry.

When you say collect, do you mean wall hangers or users? For wall hangers there are a number of places you can go to to get nice looking kukri. But as Dirtbiker said, if you want one that is traditionally made and to use then your choices narrow down pretty quick. HI and GK make great traditional users and if you are careful you can get a good one from a khukuri house. Usually the Jungle and Service No 1 models are the most reliable bet.

Good luck.

Himalayan Imports is the only name you need to know. I have owned and collected kukris from vintage to modern from all makers and Himalayan Imports hands down makes the best traditionally made Kukri currently available. The only noteworthy possible exception is GK kukris located here on the forum. Tora makes beautiful kukris but their quality control is not up to the the standards of the other two. Two of the three Toras I've owned had serious heat treatment issues and poor blade geometry.
Thanks for the info! Yes, I understand HI is being helf in high regard on this forum, but I wasnt (am I yet?) sure if that was just bandwagon mentality or actually delivering over a long period of time. I am starting to believe its the latter.

When you say collect, do you mean wall hangers or users? For wall hangers there are a number of places you can go to to get nice looking kukri. But as Dirtbiker said, if you want one that is traditionally made and to use then your choices narrow down pretty quick. HI and GK make great traditional users and if you are careful you can get a good one from a khukuri house. Usually the Jungle and Service No 1 models are the most reliable bet.

Good luck.

I am not sure, yet. I want both I guess, but I still have a lot of knives to research :D

Back