99% Collector and 1% user. Am I strange?

I tend to like the collecting part of this hobby more than anything.. In my job and current lifestyle, I don’t find myself having the chance to actually “Use” a knife very much if at all. Over the past year, I have purchased several “Custom” knives and a couple manufactured knives that struck my fancy.. I enjoy the site Arizona Customs for custom and more “One of a kind” knifes but it’s the only site I have ever really used.. The custom knives I have purchased I really don’t want to use them. My manufactured knives I purchased through retail outlets. I did recently purchase a Benchmade 535 Bugout that I plan to start carrying on me. Not really sure why but just to have a EDC on me and it is nice and light in my pocket.. Maybe in my mind I carry it as a form of protection. So, except for the Bugout, all my knives are stored in and nice Knife case and I get them out from time to time to just look at them or to polish and oil them. I think of them as my babies but feel sometimes odd I don’t “Use” them.

I have gotten to the point that now I try not to browse Arizona Customs too often as I am like a kid in the candy store that sees all kinds of nice things I would like but I just have to control myself(Budget)..

Oh, and I love the whole bladesmithing side of things.. It is something I don’t think I would ever do myself but love reading about it and watching how it’s done.. Fascinating.. And I love watching Forged In Fire.

Was just curious if I am odd or more of you are like me and just mainly collect and don’t use most of what you collect?

Was just curious if I am odd or more of you are like me and just mainly collect and don’t use most of what you collect?
Nothing odd about that, really. Seems most people that buy expensive customs don't use them.

I've got 40ish knives, but most of them sit in a drawer most of the time. I have carried and used all of them at some point, but now I only rotate between maybe 8 of them.

You do you.

Honestly, that's most of us. Well, probably more than many would care to admit. I have plenty of very high end knives, however I sit at a desk all day in a private office, so there are plenty of days where my knives don't leave my pocket, not once the entire day. When I go camping, those nice knives stay at home, and I take some of my fixed blades out to play. Any folders that go with me are invariably Cold Steel folders. Well built, cheap, replaceable, simple. I'm not taking my high end stuff out, and I don't feel the slightest bit of shame or remorse for it. I spend a lot of money on nice knives, because I want them to remain nice.

I’m like you. Most of my knives are “my collection” and I have several fixed blades I really use and a few folders that I carry and use frequently. I love my collection and keep adding to it but keep the knives in new condition.

Same here...have over 100 knives in my collection, and carry a ~$30 Cold Steel folder for my EDC needs, and that barely gets used. Just not much need in suburbia...

This. What cracks me up is when you see on Instagram people who overuse the hashtag #useyours&^t and you look at their feed and see a bunch of pristine knives, or worse, they're one of those "tactical icepick/shiv" guys that have cropped up lately.

I'm all in favor of having a unique purpose for your own particular pursuit. If collecting for the strict purposes that mother of pearl is your thing, so be it. Collect away!

I have my reasons for gathering specific types of fixed blades - for no other reason than they are a platform for my woodworking hobby. I have a few dozen, but only actually use one in my kitchen. Each one became a vehicle for me to develop a particular method of custom handle work.

Each ONE of these implements a design challenge that I found particularly interesting. Those are part of my collection and each was used extensively for developing my craft/skill in making handles. None have ever cut anything. So are these users or collectors? Anyone else would say they are a collection. I consider each one of them a heavy user. To each their own perspective.

20190626_180950~01.jpg

Not odd at all. As we advance in the hobby, most of us end up collecting rather than using. There are only so many things we can cut and good properly cared for knives can out live us; so there is less need to break in a new knife.

n2s

look at it this way...
without folks who specifically
"collect" knives,
a whole lotta individuals and
companies related to knife
collecting wouldn't exist.
the very idea of genuine collectors
actually using their "collection"
goes against the golden rule
of keeping things mint and pristine :)
so yeah, i can respect that.
i suppose a collector truly enjoys
the artistry seen in an object
rather than the capabilities
or performance built within
the said object.
getting carried away can lead one
astray with the real danger of seemingly
habitual and addictive accumalation
to no end...
if you still haven't figured out the eventual
direction and course of your collection,
be aware that it would be unwise
to not plan for an end game
when time runs out on
all of us, eventually ;-)

I'm all in favor of having a unique purpose for your own particular pursuit. If collecting for the strict purposes that mother of pearl is your thing, so be it. Collect away!

I have my reasons for gathering specific types of fixed blades - for no other reason than they are a platform for my woodworking hobby. I have a few dozen, but only actually use one in my kitchen. Each one became a vehicle for me to develop a particular method of custom handle work.

Each ONE of these implements a design challenge that I found particularly interesting. Those are part of my collection and each was used extensively for developing my craft/skill in making handles. None have ever cut anything. So are these users or collectors? Anyone else would say they are a collection. I consider each one of them a heavy user. To each their own perspective.

View attachment 1207318
Tony I’m in agreement here with you, in fact the items shown here, I didn’t have to see who posted it, I knew it was you from the ironwood. Kind of your signature;)

Honestly, that's most of us. Well, probably more than many would care to admit. I have plenty of very high end knives, however I sit at a desk all day in a private office, so there are plenty of days where my knives don't leave my pocket, not once the entire day. When I go camping, those nice knives stay at home, and I take some of my fixed blades out to play. Any folders that go with me are invariably Cold Steel folders. Well built, cheap, replaceable, simple. I'm not taking my high end stuff out, and I don't feel the slightest bit of shame or remorse for it. I spend a lot of money on nice knives, because I want them to remain nice.
I would agree that it is "most of us" who are active here. I have never been a knife collector, but I accumulate them because for whatever reason a particular knife appealed to me. I have slowed this down a good bit in terms of numbers, but the itch remains and I have absolutely no problem with buying knives that I never use. I just like 'em.

The one thing I have changed in terms of buying is that I will not buy a knife that I have no intention of using. Hence, for me that means most damascus, highly decorated or engraved knives are out even though I like them. Whether or not I use a knife matters not to me, but I could use them and that is my crutch.

I get into the woods a fair amount and try to almost always have a fixed blade of some sort with me. That usually means my regular edc and a fixed blade. But I seldom use a fixed blade in the woods and find myself always reaching for the folder when a need develops. So, in most cases, the fixed blade is in essence outdoor jewelry. But I keep the outdoor jewelry with me for potential emergencies or unforeseen developments outdoors. I downsized my edc about a year ago and that potentially changes the using need outdoors. Bigger knives (within reason) simply are safer to use outdoors than some puny folder I might edc. But day to day, I seldom need anything beyond the puny folder and I use a knife a lot.

So, OP, enjoy your hobby however you want to.... collecting, using, whatever. Just enjoy doing what you're doing and stop if the enjoyment lapses.

Last edited:
That’s why we have this forum. Lately I find myself carrying just a SAK spartan.
Yeah, pretty much my evolution as well but with the Small Tinker model. That is my "puny knife" I referenced above in my post. It took me a while to become comfortable with admitting that I am comfortable with in essence a $20-$30 slip joint as my edc. My SAK usage started in the early 80's, and became a regular carry item by the mid 90's. At first the SAK was carried when I traveled for tool use and of course cutting. That changed and I carry one for cutting first and tools second now.

I have a small collection, but they all get used at work. I almost hate to say it, but the fact that I get to use my knives everyday at work is one of the things
that makes being an HVAC tech worth it. I have always loved knives and the greatest joy for me is in using them.
With that said, every time I get a really nice looking one in that 300-500$ dollar range I try to keep it collector quality and just keep it on my shelf taking it down only to clean and fondle.
However, once fondled enough times, usually no more than a week, I can't help but use it just to see how it really feels and works.

I've never been able to keep my knives collector quality because I'm too much of a slob to take care of the box and my line of work presents far too many opportunities
to use my knives to resist the temptation. A part of me is jealous of people that can keep some of their knives nice and new and in the box and like 20 years later there it is
nice and fresh like it just came off the line.

Nothing wrong with being more of a collector than a user, in fact, I think it's really cool. :)

Back