9cr18mov?

I think it's quite good. 0.95-1.2 Carbon, HRC of 58-60. I have three
Schrades made with it and they take a wicked edge and hold it.
Rich

It's a decent chinese steel. Without really knowing any details, I'd say it's roughly on par with AUS-8 and 440C.
It takes a nice edge, hold it for a moderate amount of time, and its easy to sharpen.

It is very similar in performance in my experience to S30v, 154cm, 440c, Vg10 and N690. I have flipper in each of the six steels, all about the same use and all perform very close. s30v has better edge retention. I'd rank them:
1. S30v
2. N690
3. 154cm
4.vg-10
5.9cr18mov
6.440c
In use there is not a broad gap between the performance between any of these and all are excellent. HT and edge geometry account for a lot.

people say its hard to sharpen. i dont have a 440c blade only AUS-8A and 8cr13mov but thats what i saw.

It's marginally better at both ease of sharpening and edge retention. 440c is tougher.

I have 2 CRKT Dragon's in that steel, have to say that i never use them, so i can't tell how it holds up.

Old thread I know, but I really do love this steel- my Dragons are amazing- ran one in to the dirt, not a basic user-more like a fighting knife, but solid nonetheless. ..

schrades 9cr18mov steel. whats with that? is it good? bad?

I have had a blade in that steel. It's a Chinese alloy. In composition it is pretty similar to 440C and is sometimes called "440C" in knife product literature. Performance will, of course be dependent on the heat treat.

It's no harder to sharpen than 440C. A Washita stone won't get you far. Like all alloys with carbides, it requires the use of aluminum oxide, diamond, siliconor similar harder media.

I like it.(period) I have bought several of the COAST FX350 folders and given them as gifts to other fella's in the marina we stay at in the summer. A couple are knife-O-files but most not. All of the guys like the knives and the steel. I have said it several times the FX350 to me might be the best bargain out there for a good, all around use folder for not alot of money. Well made, very good materials, good blade steel and good ergonomics. 24 bucks with free shipping. You can't beat it. keepem sharp

Schrade seems to be moving away from this steel to the slightly softer 8Cr13Mov and Krupp 4936 steels.

Knarfeng, that's the problem ! Chinese steel called "440C" .You never know with them ! Cold Steel master hunter originals had great AUS-8. Later ones had Chinese steel "called AUS-8" but was not . That's when the complaints started !! They have a long way to go and until then I'll stay away from Chinese steels !

Knarfeng, that's the problem ! Chinese steel called "440C" .You never know with them!

They have at least 5 standards very close to 440C and usually cutlery manufactures are marketing those as 440C. This is not specific to China though, because many other national and propriety standards have equivalents (or very close) of 440C and mostly all also marketed as 440C.

Cold Steel master hunter originals had great AUS-8. Later ones had Chinese steel "called AUS-8" but was not . That's when the complaints started !! They have a long way to go and until then I'll stay away from Chinese steels !

As opposed to 440C, Chinese 8Cr15MoV standard is identical to AUS-8. Given the equal heat treat, there should be no difference.

Back