A Busse, a Cow Tongue and a Tri Tip

Well, at Don's Specialty Meats in Carencro, Louisiana, i picked up a stuffed and seasoned cow tongue. It's been simmering for about 3.5 hours now so about ready to come off...tri tip goes on the grill tomorrow, it's Mardi Gras here.

Here are the beginning shots, and I will post some pics/review of the tongue once cool enough to eat...

Cheers.

Well it was good, the stuffing was delicious (bell pepper onion and garlic). After I peeled the outer fatty/film layer off the tongue, I needed to add some seasoning back onto it. Tomorrow it will turn into tacos or breakfast mash-up...

FdLuLcTl.jpg

wJE1sD4l.jpg

No8taZCl.jpg

bAzoLtGl.jpg

AN7vHehl.jpg

Here is the tri tip cooked....

brvWT98l.jpg

tEakF4ql.jpg

qBg0uQdl.jpg

Barbecued about 7-9 minutes on each side with some flipping at the end for 2-3 minutes more each side over a fire that was real hot and got cool pretty quick, not enough coal. I like to cook open flame with cowboy coal...
Cooked - it was warm in the middle, could have left on grill for another 3 minutes, I boiled the marinade (korean bbq sauce, garlic, Worcestershire, 2-pepper hot sauce, cajun trinity, herbs de provence/oregano, slap ya mama, sriracha, sliced onion, pineapple shavings, more spices, and some cayenne and some black molasses) for a dipping sauce and glazed the meat with it in the grill. there was a cut down fat cap on the underside that tasted like heaven with the caramelized and blackened flavor of the marinade - it was a nice contrast to the rareness of the meat. It was windy and I never cut a piece of meat while cooking and I usually get it just right, it was still relish, and I ate about half of the thing in 3/4" slice-chunks hand to mouth over the cutting board while dipping...

Last edited:
Thanks! I worked that sucker for a while to get it like that. With the liners and the black paper/deep deep grooves, it was like holding a fat spiky pickle, so I had to do something to bring the nimbleness back to the knife so I could/would use it.

Nice, i love that handle on the Muk

IMO, there is no better food than that cooked in Louisiana. COPIUOS proves it yet again. Bravo for the cow tongue. Done right, it's hard to beat the flavors.

Got my Gambino's cream cheese King Cake coming in tomorrow. Laissez les bons temps rouler.

I have never had either of these dishes but that Tritip looks especially delicious!!

Just add a few Andy Gators and you'd be set !!

Sent via telegraph with the same fingers I use to sip whiskey.

ya had me at Busse..then lost me at cow tounge..then had me back at Tri tip..if that makes sense..

Rob - makes total sense! I had eaten tongue before this, never cooked it myself though. Be sure to try some if offered!

Tongue - excellent lean meat!

Hot or cold - tongue on rye with a good mustard sandwiches are excellent!

I was at a big town bbq once and someone was cooking up rocky mt oysters... I got sick an missed out on the ribs...not cool

Hate to do a zombie thread (although it isn’t desiccated yet...), but to the original poster: I could really use some gouge on how to do cow tongue. Have one in the freezer (actually thawed now) that I want to try, but can’t convince my practically chef of a wife to try it. I, on the other hand, have no imagination at cooking, although I can boil a mean pot of water. If you get my drift. Any hints? Things to watch out for in prep?

It really does look like a good cut of meat.

I put the whole tongue in a pot of chicken or beef stock, bring it to a boil, then simmer covered for an hour. Pull it out and peel the skin off the whole thing. Then sprinkle on some Slap Yo Mama seasoning or your favorite rub and put it iN a 250-275 degree smoker and either cook it to 190 degrees or 205. About another hour and a half or two. I use post oak since I have acres of it. When you take it out of the smoker, cover it in foil and let it rest for at least a half hour.

If you cook it to 190, you'll be able to slice it in 1/8" thick pieces and use it that way. At 205, you can shred it like pulled pork, mix it with your favorite BBQ sauce and put it on a toasted hamburger bun with sliced onions and pickled jalapeños.

Oh man, that sounds good!
Maybe I can try something like that. We have a few rubs around here. Might be able to do the gas grill on extreme low instead of the smoker, since I don’t have one of those?

The smoker is for flavor. If you don't use it, just use your oven. Double layer some aluminum foil, spritz the bottom of the foil with some apple cider vinegar, add a couple tablespoons of BBQ sauce and smear it around in the vinegar. Then put the tongue on the foil, wrap it up good, put it on a baking sheet and cook in a 300 oven to the correct temp. When it's done, leave it wrapped and rest it for a half hour.

Back