A Corral for Mustangs, Stallions, Ranch Hands... all that are a part the 74 Herd.

Oh man, that's gorgeous. Looks like a dusting of snow on a dirt road. Love it.

Jeff glad you post up a Ranch Hand...need a ranch hand in this thread to keep the 'stangs in the Corral. Wait till the Stallions arrive!!! Love those Ranch Hands...need more pictures of those!!!
posted this one a few days ago.

Untitled by swaybacksteve, on Flickr

I'm really liking this pattern. Good size and comfy in hand. Recycled photo of mine from the other GEC thread:

82866908-7858-4333-A71B-F97A8041A56D_zpsfrn1mkbb.jpg

I've been carrying the smooth oiled bone since I got it. Used it on food the other day and thought I wiped it off fast enough, but I didn't. :(

231B0123-CF91-43FC-A87D-7D3A5A6426A4_zpsbby6lyk7.jpg

How do you guys handle patina without losing the etch?

That's a good description of those Elk scales Tomboy.
The 74 is a good size for a lot of folks. Waiting for the green glass jigged.bone myself.

The etch will come come off if you try and remove the patina. Some suggest to be gentle but some of the etch or all of it will be removed. Its why some hate the etch. For me once a blade gets a patina's it becomes a User.

Ive never tried it but renaissance wax over the etch might help preserve it. You can get some at the big river store.
Sent from my Kindle Fire

How does the blade length on the Mustangs drop point compare with the same shape blade on a #73 Scout?

Comparison pics would be greatly appreciated!

Jeff, just a quick shot of a 74 Mustang SS with my older 73 OO. The 73 is a little longer in both blade and handle but maybe a drop slimmer.

7b95846679f10e3f4d595153c8ef1247.jpg

Jeff, it seems that the 73s and the 74s share the same drop point blade but since the bolsters are different the 73 has a blade length of 3 1/8", while the blade length of the 74 is 3" even (measured tip to bolster). -James

It looked strange to me and according to the GEC specs the 73 is 1/8" shorter. It doesn't look like it.

So, I am liking my AL #74 enough that I ordered a smooth oiled bone this morning from DLT. Three came in late and I just got lucky. Pics will come when it arrives.

Great postings the past few days folks!! Looks like the new Mustangs and Stallions are a bit hit. Those that I've seen from this newest run are finished as nicely as any production knife I know. The blades seem sharper than usual and the liners don't have the sharp edges some GECs do. Way to go GEC!!!

Steve, I have to add my two cents on this pic. Amazing Elk!!! WOW!!!

Alan, you gotta be thrilled with this mornings fortunate score. That Smooth Oiled Bone will go oh so well with the Autumn Leaf!

Here's a Esky I bought to be a user. I like the feel and the secure grip of Denim Micarta and I'm thinking it'll develop a nice patina right along with the blade.

Hoping to see some of the Heartland clips before long and looking forward to those dark Green Jigged Bone and Yellow Rose. -James

Great postings the past few days folks!! Looks like the new Mustangs and Stallions are a bit hit. Those that I've seen from this newest run are finished as nicely as any production knife I know. The blades seem sharper than usual and the liners don't have the sharp edges some GECs do. Way to go GEC!!!

Alan, you gotta be thrilled with this mornings fortunate score. That Smooth Oiled Bone will go oh so well with the Autumn Leaf!

Here's a Esky I bought to be a user. I like the feel and the secure grip of Denim Micarta and I'm thinking it'll develop a nice patina right along with the blade.

Hoping to see some of the Heartland clips before long and looking forward to those dark Green Jigged Bone and Yellow Rose. -James

James: Thank you. I do feel lucky on that one. I had a "notify me" in with DLT, got the email and 10 minutes later......

Nice Esky you posted! I like that look a lot.

The etch will come come off if you try and remove the patina. Some suggest to be gentle but some of the etch or all of it will be removed. Its why some hate the etch. For me once a blade gets a patina's it becomes a User.

Ive never tried it but renaissance wax over the etch might help preserve it. You can get some at the big river store.

Thanks. I intended the knife to be a user; I just didn't think it through that patina would either eventually cover the etch or the process of removing the patina would remove the etch. I'll try ren wax and see if I can preserve some of the etch and keep the patina from getting worse. If not, I'll just use it as usual and see how long it takes for patina to override the etch. Thanks.

I've been stalking the denim micarta Eskys for a while and never noticed it's the same frame as the 74s. Cool! Now I'm even more determined to find one. :p

Erik and redsparrow...thanks, I was real lucky to get that one when they came out.

The zulu spear Northwoods would make a great edc folder. I regret not getting one...I hesitated just a bit to look over the group and then they were gone. Such is the way...I am gonna get a fixed blade made for me with a Zulu.
Now where are those Ranch Hands...the corral is gonna get full!

Having carried this snakewood 74 for a few days now, I think the American Elk stainless is a real grail for me. What a looker! And in such a practical package.

Jeff, just a quick shot of a 74 Mustang SS with my older 73 OO. The 73 is a little longer in both blade and handle but maybe a drop slimmer.

7b95846679f10e3f4d595153c8ef1247.jpg

Jeff, it seems that the 73s and the 74s share the same drop point blade but since the bolsters are different the 73 has a blade length of 3 1/8", while the blade length of the 74 is 3" even (measured tip to bolster). -James

Thanks fellas, just what I figured. I've had many #73s and a few other #74s (none with the drop point) and figured they used the same blades in both. I am surprised, though Joe, that your #73's frame is longer than the #74's. The #73's tip seems a little longer/sharper too, and the nick is a little bigger/deeper. Interesting to note the minor little differences in production knives.

I don't know if this is meaningful, but the Orange Delrin 74 is marked as a second, though I don't know why. It is stainless and the 73 is carbon.

Having carried this snakewood 74 for a few days now, I think the American Elk stainless is a real grail for me. What a looker! And in such a practical package.
Sounds like you are really enjoying your Snakewood Mustang. I'd hope to see some further pics of it especially when it starts to show the love (patina). I agree... an elk 74 is a worthy grail, particularly after swaybacksteve's postings of his elk. Best wishes in your quest. If you find more than one let me know, I'd be very interested. :)

Harry that has to be one of the most beautiful knives I have seen since joining the forum, an heirloom piece. I keep scrolling back to look at it!! Must be a highlight of your collection, very very nice!

Thank you very much for the very kind remarks Drew !!!! I am very happy to have it .
I am anxious to get the Yellow Rose to see how they look side by side. It is packaged but not shipped yet.

Harry

Back